Heads up on pre-cruise COVID testing if traveling soon

KKB

Yesterday HHS announced it is no longer paying for COVID tests unless you are displaying symptoms.

Some people have had a nasty surprise when Walgreens said their tests would run $128 each!

Now, no info as to whether insurance will cover these for travel purposes.

Might be incentive to order those proctored home tests for vastly less. 

• Like 1

Can you please post a link for that announcement?  I can't find it on the HHS.gov website.  I don't know if my private insurance will follow along and not pay if we don't have exposure or symptoms. I  want to do some research before I have to shell out money for 5 people in 2 weeks!  That was not part of my cruise budget for sure. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I expected testing to be gone by the end of this month. Things are moving a little slower than I thought. I don't think it's going to last much longer in any case.

🤞🙏

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RockinRobin said:

Can you please post a link for that announcement?  I can't find it on the HHS.gov website.  I don't know if my private insurance will follow along and not pay if we don't have exposure or symptoms. I  want to do some research before I have to shell out money for 5 people in 2 weeks!  That was not part of my cruise budget for sure. 

didn't believe it either. Was reported by a person on another cruise forum.

On Google it still says free but once I clicked on Walgreens, this came up:

The blue pop up is new.

Hey if yours still covers--AWESOME.

Always better to be prepared.

On Point Testing will also virtually proctor your free home test for $15. (news to me--tucking that in my back pocket for our numerous upcoming cruises)

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.29.18 PM.png

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I expected testing to be gone by the end of this month. Things are moving a little slower than I thought. I don't think it's going to last much longer in any case.

I hope you are right, but I am doubting it.

The latest variant is rearing it's ugly head in Europe again & we are usually close behind.

Cruise ships are so vulnerable to spread. CEOS want to keep ships on the seas.

16 minutes ago, KKB said:

I hope you are right, but I am doubting it.

The latest variant is rearing it's ugly head in Europe again & we are usually close behind.

Cruise ships are so vulnerable to spread. CEOS want to keep ships on the seas.

There will be a new variant either coming, here, or on it's way out, for the rest of our lives.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, KKB said:

Yesterday HHS announced it is no longer paying for COVID tests unless you are displaying symptoms.

Some people have had a nasty surprise when Walgreens said their tests would run $128 each!

Now, no info as to whether insurance will cover these for travel purposes.

Might be incentive to order those proctored home tests for vastly less. 

I have yet to pay for a covid test, but all don't use Walgreens or CVS. All you have to do is cough or (pick a symptom) and it should be covered.

I don’t believe the results they email to you change based on whether or not you designate the test “for travel” when you sign up. 

If you have had ANYTHING in the last 14 days that could be considered a symptom (literally even if you’ve coughed once), go ahead and list that symptom, so that there’s a good chance your insurance will pay for it. They don’t also need to know you’re traveling.

• Like 5

Wow. People willing to lie to get on a ship, lie while on a ship, lie after a cruise, have limits?

Anyway, I've always been honest that the tests were for travel. I have no control over what the doctor writes on the order.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Wow. People willing to lie to get on a ship, lie while on a ship, lie after a cruise, have limits?

Anyway, I've always been honest that the tests were for travel. I have no control over what the doctor writes on the order.

Darn it, I agree with you.  I answer the questions honestly.  My next cruise is Alaska so my health insurance would be used should I need COVID treatment there.  I should lie to get a "free"  (someone is paying for it) test in Seattle, 2200 miles from home and then need treatment in Alaska? 

Some insurance companies have never covered the COVID test for travel, even after the presidential suggestion for reimbursement.  My husband and I have always paid for the test out of our pocket and considered it an additional cost of the cruise.  We thought it unethical to declare we were ill two days out for a free test and then experience a lapse of memory on the Carnival health assessment and port questions. We try to utilize the three Cs: candor, courage and commitment; even though not always cheaper.

• Like 12

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I have yet to pay for a covid test, but all don't use Walgreens or CVS. All you have to do is cough or (pick a symptom) and it should be covered.

One would have to lie to one or the other - either the insurance company to get the test free, or lie to Carnival and say they don't have symptoms on their health assessment form to get on the ship. I'm not really OK with the lie and would prefer the testing just goes away.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 4

Exposure to someone that might have it was also covered, cases are up 32% in the UK and locally around here people are getting it again so I feel comfortable with that "lie"

Will go well with sharing my drinks package with my kids LOL

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

Exposure to someone that might have it was also covered, cases are up 32% in the UK and locally around here people are getting it again so I feel comfortable with that "lie"

Will go well with sharing my drinks package with my kids LOL

If we are still in a pandemic, then literally every time I come into contact with anyone, and that’s just about daily, there’s possible exposure. So, it’s not lying to say I’ve been exposed to Covid. 

Having said that, for my last cruise, I used the emed just for convenience, so paid out of pocket. But my next 3 cruises, positive test so all good.

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 1