First time cruising post-Covid, question about proof of vaccination at embarkation

gardn198

We are SO excited to FINALLY get back on a ship in February! This will be our first time sailing since 2019. I have some questions regarding showing proof of vaccination. We will be sailing on the Southern Caribbean cruise.

If you do not submit electronically ahead of time, how do they check your proof at embarkation? Is you paper card sufficient enough? Do you have to have a qr code or something, I know I've had some issues in Europe without a qr code on my card, but when they heard I was American since we don't have those on our white cards they just let it go?

What about returning to the ship after being at port. Do we need to bring our vaccine cards along with our passports? 

Finally, I don't see anything about boosters. Are they not required? If you only have your first 2 shots from last year but no booster will that be a problem? My friend had blood clots and other issues after her 2nd does and does not want to get the booster. 

Our experience in October 2021 on Magic and Jan 22 on Mardi Gras was we showed our cards for our two shots in October and then then those plus our booster shot proof card in January, that was all it took.  Plan to do the same in 8 days again on the Mardi Gras.  You also need proof of the negative test.

72 hours pre cruise if boosted, 48 hours if not, so no "booster requirement.

Hope that helps, enjoy 🙂 

• Like 1

Your easiest option is to upload a photo of it to VeriFly. If you don't want to use VeriFly you just show your card & test results when embarking the ship. Once you embark the ship, you can put them away and will not need them anymore. 

Boosters are not required to cruise. 

First, you should review what Carnival has to say, officially:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

That explains a lot of what you ask, including nuances of boosters, etc.  You have differing pre-cruise COVID Test requirements based on booster status.

If you don't submit electronically, they will check your paperwork as hardcopies - takes a bit longer, but no big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your answers. So what I got from this is:

1. If not boosted, you can still cruise but have to show a test within 48 hours of boarding (boosted people get an extra day).

2. You don't need to show your cards getting on and off the ship at ports, really? That's kind of surprising since you're entering another country.. Has anyone gone to Bonaire, that is one of the countries I saw that won't let you off ship if you're unvaccinated. Maybe they require the vaccine card?

3. Paper card works fine.

Am I missing anything?

7 minutes ago, gardn198 said:

.... Has anyone gone to Bonaire, that is one of the countries I saw that won't let you off ship if you're unvaccinated. Maybe they require the vaccine card?

Some countries may still require proof of vaccination to get off the ship, we had to show either our vaccine card or else a photo of it on our phone in Costa Rica late last year.  That situation is in constant flux, so just be prepared.  

Once on board you should get notifications as far as what's needed at each port.  Follow those guidelines and you'll be good.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gardn198 said:

Has anyone gone to Bonaire, that is one of the countries I saw that won't let you off ship if you're unvaccinated. Maybe they require the vaccine card?

We were just in Bonaire 3 weeks ago doing the ABC route. No cards, masks or any of that was needed on any island. We were all over the entire islands at all 3 ports. 

5 hours ago, gardn198 said:

Thank you all for your answers. So what I got from this is:

1. If not boosted, you can still cruise but have to show a test within 48 hours of boarding (boosted people get an extra day).

2. You don't need to show your cards getting on and off the ship at ports, really? That's kind of surprising since you're entering another country.. Has anyone gone to Bonaire, that is one of the countries I saw that won't let you off ship if you're unvaccinated. Maybe they require the vaccine card?

In Nassau you recently had to show a copy of your card. A photo on your phone is ok. If it’s required at a particular port, the cruise director will announce what is required to get off the ship. 

5 hours ago, gardn198 said:

3. Paper card works fine.

It is so much easier to upload all your information to Verifly app. If you just don’t want to, then your original vaccine card and your negative test must be shown along with your passport or birth certificate and drivers license. 

Am I missing anything?

On 6/30/2022 at 4:03 PM, gardn198 said:

We are SO excited to FINALLY get back on a ship in February! This will be our first time sailing since 2019. I have some questions regarding showing proof of vaccination. We will be sailing on the Southern Caribbean cruise.

If you do not submit electronically ahead of time, how do they check your proof at embarkation? Is you paper card sufficient enough? Do you have to have a qr code or something, I know I've had some issues in Europe without a qr code on my card, but when they heard I was American since we don't have those on our white cards they just let it go?

What about returning to the ship after being at port. Do we need to bring our vaccine cards along with our passports? 

Finally, I don't see anything about boosters. Are they not required? If you only have your first 2 shots from last year but no booster will that be a problem? My friend had blood clots and other issues after her 2nd does and does not want to get the booster. 

Full vax. required 2 shots plus booster. yes the card with the dates and the type of vaccine.

This is kinda scarey... what if you have a cruise coming up in 6 months, I mean if the big day comes up, and at the last min you find you test positive but feel ok..So what, your SOL ??  I'm not wanting to put anyone in danger, I'm just wondering what people do, do they take a week or two off from work, stay home like a hermit, then get the test 2-3 days before the day.  How can you guarantee yourself your ok, and are able to sail then ?  How do you do it ?  Just curious...

4 hours ago, southbayer said:

This is kinda scarey... what if you have a cruise coming up in 6 months, I mean if the big day comes up, and at the last min you find you test positive but feel ok..So what, your SOL ??  I'm not wanting to put anyone in danger, I'm just wondering what people do, do they take a week or two off from work, stay home like a hermit, then get the test 2-3 days before the day.  How can you guarantee yourself your ok, and are able to sail then ?  How do you do it ?  Just curious...

So after 2 years is this a serious question?  If you test positive immediately prior to the cruise you are simply not allowed to sail.  You call the cruise line, tell them, likely provide a copy of your positive test result and get FCC for a future cruise.  It's no more complicated than that.

And as to the OP, everywhere we've been on a total of 8 cruise segments post pandemic, the Cruise Director has been very informative about exactly what you need to take ashore.  A pic of your vax card on your phone does the trick.  I don't think we've ever been asked for it.  Most ports will want to see your driver's license and your S&S card.  Also, we've never done Verifly simply preferring to take our actual vax card inside our Passport holder.  At the terminal, they will examine 3 documents as the very first step 1) Passport (confirming it's YOU), 2) Vax card, 3) negative test (with all the necessary info).

Edited by jsglow

9 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Full vax. required 2 shots plus booster. yes the card with the dates and the type of vaccine.

That's incorrect Always.  You are allowed to sail if Fully Vaxed (meaning the original 2 shot protocol for the Moderna, etc.)  You are 'Up to Date' if you have all the recommended boosters.  The only thing different between the two is the required timing on your Covid test.

7 hours ago, southbayer said:

Well, under current rules, if you test positive more than 10 days out, you’re good. No need to test before the cruise. Happy cruising. Otherwise, you’ll need a negative test within the 2-3 day window before the cruise. If you test positive then, you’ll need to reschedule. None of has anything to do with how you feel. It all comes down to the test results and the timing. 

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

That's incorrect Always.  You are allowed to sail if Fully Vaxed (meaning the original 2 shot protocol for the Moderna, etc.)  You are 'Up to Date' if you have all the recommended boosters.  The only thing different between the two is the required timing on your Covid test.

Yes I miss read the info. If the CDC says fully vaxed is including the booster, Carnival will require the same.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, southbayer said:

Press your luck. That is about all you can do. You do not cruise if positive but you will receive a refund.