Travelling to JFK, staying in NY and travelling to NJ the next morning?

Roybthered

Need a bit of help, My DW and I are travelling with our adult daughter and 6 YO GD for a 7 night cruise out of NJ in October (Oasis) , now comes the interesting bit. We fly into JFK on the Saturday need to get to NY to the hotel then the next morning get to NJ for the cruise and upon return from the cruise back to NY for about 6 hours (being able to leave our luggage whilst we look around a bit) before needing to get to JFK for our flight. If anyone can give any advice to help us out it would be much appreciated. 

Your hotel in NY may have a limo you can hire for the transfer to the cruise. No idea what that would cost. Maybe you could email the hotel and ask?

The cruise line might offer a transfer to the airport with a tour of NY before the flight. I know you can get a trip like this in Miami. Have a look at the trips offered now  for departure day.

• Like 1

Hi   Maybe you  should post your query in this thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

In checking that you had not already done so I notice that you are ex military.

Perhaps you are already aware  but if not some cruise lines offer  On Board Credit

for ex military.   Often this is assumed  to be for US military but  UK Military

can apply also., so worth checking.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 5:45 PM, Roybthered said:

Need a bit of help, My DW and I are travelling with our adult daughter and 6 YO GD for a 7 night cruise out of NJ in October (Oasis) , now comes the interesting bit. We fly into JFK on the Saturday need to get to NY to the hotel then the next morning get to NJ for the cruise and upon return from the cruise back to NY for about 6 hours (being able to leave our luggage whilst we look around a bit) before needing to get to JFK for our flight. If anyone can give any advice to help us out it would be much appreciated. 

I see you have not come back to this thread nor posted on the EastCoast Departures board…although you may have visited there and done some reading.  As to getting to your hotel, a taxi, Uber or Lyft.  As to getting to the cruise terminal at Cape Liberty the next day, the East Coast board can connect you with car services, or you can use Uber, etc.   Nothing will be cheap as there will be bridge or tunnel fees.  The most expensive would probably be a taxi, because they would have to charge you double, as they would be crossing from NY into NJ, and therefore would not be legally able to pick up a fare for the return trip.

As to storing luggage on, return, I am not aware of any place to do that,  it you might ask at the hotel if you could store luggage for a few hours on return…for a fee, perhaps.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

On the return there is left luggage at Manhattan Penn Station.

Leave luggage, have your six hours then you can then get the Long Island Railroad train to Jamaica station and change there for the Skytrain to JFK.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 6:47 PM, Essiesmom said:

I see you have not come back to this thread nor posted on the EastCoast Departures board…although you may have visited there and done some reading.  As to getting to your hotel, a taxi, Uber or Lyft.  As to getting to the cruise terminal at Cape Liberty the next day, the East Coast board can connect you with car services, or you can use Uber, etc.   Nothing will be cheap as there will be bridge or tunnel fees.  The most expensive would probably be a taxi, because they would have to charge you double, as they would be crossing from NY into NJ, and therefore would not be legally able to pick up a fare for the return trip.

As to storing luggage on, return, I am not aware of any place to do that,  it you might ask at the hotel if you could store luggage for a few hours on return…for a fee, perhaps.  EM

Thanks for that, yes I have been back to check, we will be getting a taxi to NY and a transfer to the port and back. We are still undecided what to do from NY to JFK on the return. We have booked the hotel for overnight the day before the cruise and will be in contact with them regarding leaving our luggage upon our return. 

4 hours ago, Roybthered said:

Thanks for that, yes I have been back to check, we will be getting a taxi to NY and a transfer to the port and back. We are still undecided what to do from NY to JFK on the return. We have booked the hotel for overnight the day before the cruise and will be in contact with them regarding leaving our luggage upon our return. 

Cruiselines usually offer a tour/ transfer to airport. IMO that is best choice for NJ/NYC. They take your luggage. Look at excursion list.

I have been stuck in traffic on city bus, & taxi too many times there.

• Like 1