Corfu Advice

KarimaJ

We are still struggling a bit with Corfu, we will be there 10-4. We are thinking of Corfu Taxi Tours for 3 hours, or NCL Scenic tours. I know we will have more flexibility with our own taxi tour. We want to see local villages, authentic shops, beautiful views. We heard about the monastery but that's not really our thing. Are there nice views up there as well? Of course we want to explore Venetian area and Corfu town. How much time is needed for Corfu town/Venetian if we do the Taxi tour?

We are also thinking of just getting off the ship and grabbing a taxi tour there. Are there vendors selling tours at the port too?

The Corfu Town is very nice.  So nice, that it is a UNESCO World Heritage site.  It has the New Fort, the Old Fort, lots of neat little streets, etc.  The Town doesn't measure up to Rhodes, in my view, but it is something that one should not miss.

The Corfu Town is a pleasant stroll from the ship, about 2 km to the New Fort entrance, o about 2.5 km to the Old Fort entrance.  If you have mobility problems, just catch the blue bus, or a taxi.

I am not sure what you mean by "local villages" and "authentic shops".  Corfu has been a tourist destination for many tourists for at least 150 years so it is not some unknown backwater, but Corfu is not tourist-focused place, like say, Mykonos or Santorini.  The life in Corfu seems to me not much different than other non-touristy place in Greece.  People just go about their days like everywhere else.  

3 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

I am not sure what you mean by "local villages" and "authentic shops".  Corfu has been a tourist destination for many tourists for at least 150 years so it is not some unknown backwater, but Corfu is not tourist-focused place, like say, Mykonos or Santorini.  The life in Corfu seems to me not much different than other non-touristy place in Greece.  People just go about their days like everywhere else.  

We typically like to explore a bit instead of the tourist trap souvenir stores. I heard there are shops with locally made goods that taxis can take you to during a tour. I guess that’s what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

We’ve visited Corfu twice and really loved it. The first time we took the cruise shuttle into town and did it in our own. Found a cafe off of the spianada and just relaxed. On our second visit, we visited Paleokastritsa bay (this is where the monastery is located) and did a boat tour and time at the beach with an excursion to old town. If I were to do it again, I would do a taxi tour and visit the bay, try to do a boat tour if possible because you cannot beat riding around in the beautiful sea green, clear water, then visit old town for a stroll around the little streets and eat at a cafe on thr spianada. A lot of people also really enjoy a tour of the Palace but I have never been there before. Enjoy! 

• Like 1