Coral Princess, some comments

12 minutes ago, portcbob said:

Hi. Doing the 28 nighter with you guys from Brissie in October. Is there any talk onboard about our cruise being broken up by Princess into a number of smaller cruises and if there isn't any talk are you able to ask some staff which may know. Bit nervous about this as there is rumblings.

Thanks Bob.

I just realised you said from Brisbane. We are on from Sydney, so will have the cruise nicely warmed up for you by the time you get on 🥳 We left our cruise yesterday 😩😩😩 17 days of loving being back lol

its only really social media rumblings I’ve heard. I didn’t hear anything from staff even though I tried to fish a bit lol.

one thing that did give me confidence that it will go ahead, is at the captains cocktail party, he announced that due to heavy popular demand fir round Australia, they are bringing the majestic which will also do round aus so there should be plenty of available cabins. My thoughts were if the company had any inkling that they were going to not run as full circumnavigation why would they bring another ship.

I’ll be checking in with our PVP as soon as I’ve got the post holiday matters attended too 🥰🥰🥰🥰

Edited by Cbtours
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

I just realised you said from Brisbane. We are on from Sydney, so will have the cruise nicely warmed up for you by the time you get on 🥳 We left our cruise yesterday 😩😩😩 17 days of loving being back lol

its only really social media rumblings I’ve heard. I didn’t hear anything from staff even though I tried to fish a bit lol.

one thing that did give me confidence that it will go ahead, is at the captains cocktail party, he announced that due to heavy popular demand fir round Australia, they are bringing the majestic which will also do round aus so there should be plenty of available cabins. My thoughts were if the company had any inkling that they were going to not run as full circumnavigation why would they bring another ship.

I’ll be checking in with our PVP as soon as I’ve got the post holiday matters attended too 🥰🥰🥰🥰

Thankyou for responding. That sounds a bit more positive. Look forward to meeting you on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

I expect some things may never be the same again, but we are really looking forward to spending time on Coral & Majestic over the coming months.

It was an odd mix of the old favourite and familiar Princess, and the new - medallion and app, masks, and disappointing wines. But it was soooo good to be back onboard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

Just the bit re PD? We heard an announcement from the captain while we were in cairns (at early dinner I think) that we wouldn't be be going to PD next day due to weather and tenders needed. Though I hadnt been on FB to read if anything was on earlier?

That was the first time we heard it too, though had been ashore and using 4G so FB was easy to check. That’s where they were discussing the extra night in Cairns - just after lunch?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

We have heard people rave about Princess but weren’t overly impressed this cruise. There didn’t seem a great deal to do during the day. Fortunately I’m a reader and DW brought some craft projects to keep herself busy. And I spent a lot of time with Auntie. 

I tend to agree with this comment, again, just something missing 🙄

Is this all Princess, or just on Coral? We have a cruise on Majestic in October so will find out then 🤔

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was an odd mix of the old favourite and familiar Princess, and the new - medallion and app, masks, and disappointing wines. But it was soooo good to be back onboard.

That is the best part. We had a taste of P&O 5 weeks ago, but mostly enjoyable for the sense of occasion and being back at sea. We didn't expect perfection, but had a great time anyway. I expect some things to be better on Coral, but also not expecting a great deal more for a 3 night itinerary. I will pack some pillow chocs to surprise Barb, and will probably dodge the comedy show. 

Majestic in October is when I will get more critical on the overall experience - the ship has been back in service for quite a while already, and 11 nights should be giving us a real holiday.

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

That was the first time we heard it too, though had been ashore and using 4G so FB was easy to check. That’s where they were discussing the extra night in Cairns - just after lunch?

I saw it on FB about two hours before the official announcement. It didn't surprise me as they had problems in Airlie Beach the day before due to wind and sea conditions, and the forecast for PD wasn't much different to that. Tender port are always a risk. Luckily PD is close to Cairns so many of the excursions could operate from there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Thanks, Evon. 
Our experience and opinions are very similar to yours. 
it was great to be back sailing again and overall it was a positive experience…

But it was great to be back cruising again. And the positives out weighed the negatives. We have more cruises this year with HAL, Carnival, and the dreaded P&O, so should be well placed to do a compare and contrast by the end of the year. 

Happy sailing!

After leaving home this morning I thought that maybe my post was a bit negative. I did bookend my winges with positives. Maybe I’m just sad because my holiday and my cruise is over. Maybe I’m upset that I stood on the scales this morning and discovered how much of my hard work was undone in one week! Maybe… 🤔

Anyway, I just wanted to reiterate that it was great to be cruising again and that the positives definitely outweighed the shortcomings on the cruise. The lamb shanks in the MDR were wonderful and they were coupled with my favourite veggie, Brussel sprouts. I even got to have Brussel sprouts with breakfast on disembowelling day. 😁

52 days until we fly to Seattle as we start our “mad” holiday. BRING IT ON!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Porky55 said:

…The fact that we weren’t going to Port Douglas was on FB before we heard anything from the ship - how did this happen??…

20 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

…The first I knew about missing Port Douglas was when a passenger remarked about it at 5pm. Obviously the decision was made hours earlier than that because the Princess Patter that was delivered to the cabin before 7pm already had the change to the itinerary. The Captain made the announcement around 6.30pm. Maybe he didn't want to say anything until everyone was on board. He seemed to limit his interaction with passengers. I think that was the only announcement we heard from him.

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

We heard about the call not to go to Port Douglas due to tendering conditions pretty early on FB. But that was from other friends that were also aboard. I get the feeling the first to know would be those with affected Princess shore excursions, although I expect anyone connected with the ship visit in Port Douglas would be just as quick off the mark…

5 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Just the bit re PD? We heard an announcement from the captain while we were in cairns (at early dinner I think) that we wouldn't be be going to PD next day due to weather and tenders needed. Though I hadnt been on FB to read if anything was on earlier?

4 hours ago, Porky55 said:

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I saw it on FB about two hours before the official announcement. It didn't surprise me as they had problems in Airlie Beach the day before due to wind and sea conditions, and the forecast for PD wasn't much different to that. Tender port are always a risk. Luckily PD is close to Cairns so many of the excursions could operate from there.

A FB friend who lives in PD sent me a msg just after 4pm. I think she’d heard it on FB. I told our guide as we were getting  back on our bus so he could announce it and the driver also knew about it. We went to the MDR at 6pm and the Captain made an announcement while we were at dinner. 
Our shore excursion to the Daintree Rainforest went ahead but was 8 hours instead of 5. As we were a small group our guide offered some flexibility and we visited PD for and hour and a half. This meant I was still able to meet up with my FB friend for lunch. 😁

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think the comedian will get another contract.

What was the name of the comedian?

We thought the comedian on our 23\26 was great,Jeff Green he’s been at it for years, we went back for a second time and only one joke was repeated.

The guitarist/singer in the atrium was abysmal couldn’t sing and didn’t know the words.

Cheers Carole

4 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

What was the name of the comedian?

We thought the comedian on our 23\26 was great,Jeff Green he’s been at it for years, we went back for a second time and only one joke was repeated.

The guitarist/singer in the atrium was abysmal couldn’t sing and didn’t know the words.

Cheers Carole

The comedian's name was Greg Sullivan.

We enjoy a show by a good comedian. The best thing I can say for the one on our cruise, is that he provided a topic of conversation throughout the cruise. Unfortunately, I didn't hear of anyone who had an opinion other than very negative.

I don't think that anyone booked on the Coral Princess should be concerned that he will be doing more shows.

14 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We enjoy a show by a good comedian. The best thing I can say for the one on our cruise, is that he provided a topic of conversation throughout the cruise. Unfortunately, I didn't hear of anyone who had an opinion other than very negative.

I don't think that anyone booked on the Coral Princess should be concerned that he will be doing more shows.

They are scraping the bottom of the barrels I suppose because the more talented entertainers have found alternative positions or even changed careers during all the stoppages 

Lets hope they can do better soon

Cheers Carole

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

They are scraping the bottom of the barrels I suppose because the more talented entertainers have found alternative positions or even changed careers during all the stoppages 

Cheers Carole

More like the  entertainment budget for the ship here has been cut by the princess bean counters. So they got the elcheapo comedian, lol. The yanks would not cop it, like the wines.

Edited by NSWP

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

That is the best part. We had a taste of P&O 5 weeks ago, but mostly enjoyable for the sense of occasion and being back at sea. We didn't expect perfection, but had a great time anyway. I expect some things to be better on Coral, but also not expecting a great deal more for a 3 night itinerary. I will pack some pillow chocs to surprise Barb, and will probably dodge the comedy show. 

Majestic in October is when I will get more critical on the overall experience - the ship has been back in service for quite a while already, and 11 nights should be giving us a real holiday.

I am confident that the comedian who was on the last cruise, won't be on your cruise. He wasn't on the 3 day one immediately prior to the 26th June cruise. Entertainers usually have a contract for one cruise and I don't believe this one will get another contract.

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

Cheers Carole

The entertainers are all supplied by agents and no-one at Princess would have had the opportunity to vet this comedian. You could be correct in saying that some have changed careers during the COVID pause.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

More like the  entertainment budget for the ship here has been cut by the princess bean counters. So they got the elcheapo comedian, lol. The yanks would not cop it, like the wines.

We don't know whether or not the entertainment budget has been cut but the other entertainment doesn't support this idea. We had an excellent musician who put on four Buddy Holly tribute shows, the stage show Encore with a guest soprano and a new production On the Bayou where the costumes and stage set would have cost a fortune.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am confident that the comedian who was on the last cruise, won't be on your cruise. He wasn't on the 3 day one immediately prior to the 26th June cruise. Entertainers usually have a contract for one cruise and I don't believe this one will get another contract.

And he seems so funny, and is headlining the Greenbank Services Club late in the month. 😉

https://www.standup.com.au/comedian/greg-sullivan

Not a budget cut, but someone who seems to have lost their craft or was instructed not to offend anyone and got left with no material. Lots of great comedians on the Sit Down Comedy network.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

And he seems so funny, and is headlining the Greenbank Services Club late in the month. 😉

https://www.standup.com.au/comedian/greg-sullivan

Not a budget cut, but someone who seems to have lost their craft or was instructed not to offend anyone and got left with no material. Lots of great comedians on the Sit Down Comedy network.

At first I thought it has to be a different 'Greg Sullivan' until I read the CV more carefully and saw that several points in the history (such as working for Triple M for 14 years) were the same that the comedian mentioned while he was on stage. The photo is from several years ago before he lost a lot of weight. Part of his act revolved around his weight loss and people he referred to as 'fat people'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

The entertainers are all supplied by agents and no-one at Princess would have had the opportunity to vet this comedian. You could be correct in saying that some have changed careers during the COVID pause.

They do get to vet them. If not in person, each comedian has a "showreel" that is circulated. Yes, supplied by an agency, but chosen from those available by Princess or Carnival Australia. There are lots of underemployed entertainers and comedians out there, still trying to get regular gigs. Of the regular cruise ship acts, well, there are only two ships cruising ATM. I guess they aren't keen to let Demo or Bev Killick loose on Princess, as both have already been on P&O since the restart along with a couple of other comedians that were well received.