Coral Princess, some comments

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

BTW, other passengers reported that Greg Sullivan's 10pm show wasn't any funnier, but it included a lot of rude words. I didn't go twice, so I can only report what I was told.

Sounds like nobody wanted to go twice, even for the sake of a review. I trust you, I don't think I will be heading to Greenbank to even see him once 😁

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Sounds like nobody wanted to go twice, even for the sake of a review. I trust you, I don't think I will be heading to Greenbank to even see him once 😁

I did speak to a couple of people who went twice, just to see if the show improved. Sadly, it didn't.

I wonder if, at the Greenbank Services Club, he can try to make his show funnier by using more 'adult' words that aren't acceptable on Princess unless it is a late night comedy show billed as such.

25 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

At first I thought it has to be a different 'Greg Sullivan' until I read the CV more carefully and saw that several points in the history (such as working for Triple M for 14 years) were the same that the comedian mentioned while he was on stage. The photo is from several years ago before he lost a lot of weight. Part of his act revolved around his weight loss and people he referred to as 'fat people'.

He spent a lot if time asking people ages. At the second show there was a 9 year old and a 12 year old. Maybe that limited his repertoire? 

We stood up the back for 2 minutes of the third show. That was enough. 

Agree with most of what has already been said.

Couple of additional things - Our children were 12 and 14 and enjoyed the Teen Lounge and having the outdoor pool to themselves after dinner - I got a drink from the bar and supervised them while keeping an eye on MUTS, and some nights just trying to keep dry!

App didn't work for me - main gripe was knowing "locate your shipmates" existed but I couldn't use it. The one time I ordered a drink on the App, I cancelled it after 30 mins, and then over an hour later it arrived. 

We were in Group F (1.30pm-2pm) for check in and when we arrived at the cruise terminal, it was definitely checked by two different staff members before we even got inside the terminal. Less than one hour from getting out of the taxi to reporting to muster station, having checked in, clearing security, been to cabin and watched safety video and met our room steward.

Medallion lanyard worked for me - my husband and children chose to buy a wristband (which we will keep for future cruises).

Some ups and downs, especially with weather (out of everyone's control) and therefore shore excursions, but overall thrilled to have been back on board and we have booked NZ for Jan-24.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

They are scraping the bottom of the barrels I suppose because the more talented entertainers have found alternative positions or even changed careers during all the stoppages 

Lets hope they can do better soon

Cheers Carole

Actually reading through some of the very funny comments etc on cruise critic over time, surely we could offer some very worthwhile comedians to the cruiselubez 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 3

One thing I have learnt (from watching and from what comedians have told me) is the it is very difficult  to make people laugh if they are not in the mood. That said once you get some laughing it can be inactive and others will come around.

• Like 1

A couple of other comments -

The library had a fair selection of books. I only went to have a look around half way through the cruise so I am sure there were more earlier in the seven days. However, there were multiple (maybe six) copies of the titles on the shelves so it appears that Princess bought a limited number of titles but multiple copies. Some of these must not have been very popular whereas others were borrowed at the start of the cruise. I hope they were all returned.😁

I had booked our dining time on the app prior to the cruise and this worked well. A few people we encountered didn't know they could do that so they had to go to the 'no reservation' queue. I say 'queue' but i never saw more than two or three people in either queue. On occasions we wanted to go 15 minutes or so earlier than our booked time and there was no problem whatsoever.

Call me a prude but I think it’s sad if a comedian can’t be funny with resorting to obscenity. 
Certainly comedy is subjective and I agree that laughter is contagious but I didn’t feel that the audience was sitting back with arms folded and a "go on, you won’t make me laugh" attitude. I certainly went with the expectation of enjoying the show. In the past I’ve been to shows and sympathised with the comedian who was in front of a tough crowd but that wasn’t the impression I had this time. 
I think it’s harder for entertainers these days whether they be comedians, singers, dancers, musicians, magicians… because we have access to world class performers on our TVs and devices. I appreciate live performance and attend with the attitude of giving them a fair go.

I do feel sorry for Mr Sullivan. I don’t think this cruise has done his career any favours and I doubt that Princess will book him again. But the fact remains that many (most? all?) in the audience didn’t find him funny. 

24 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

A couple of other comments -

The library had a fair selection of books. I only went to have a look around half way through the cruise so I am sure there were more earlier in the seven days. However, there were multiple (maybe six) copies of the titles on the shelves so it appears that Princess bought a limited number of titles but multiple copies. Some of these must not have been very popular whereas others were borrowed at the start of the cruise. I hope they were all returned...

I borrowed and read three books from the library over the course of the week. I finished the last book at about 6am on Sunday. After breakfast we went to the Wheelhouse Bar to await disembarkation and I found the book in my carry bag. 🤦‍♂️ So it was a quick trip to the library to return it but I did come back with a trivia sheet, a crossword, and a sudoku. 

I think the multiple copies of the same book are so there can be a book club on a longer cruise where everyone is reading the same book and comes together to discuss it. Maybe I should try to organise something like this on our upcoming 23 night transpacific as there are lots of sea days. 🤔

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I borrowed and read three books from the library over the course of the week. I finished the last book at about 6am on Sunday. After breakfast we went to the Wheelhouse Bar to await disembarkation and I found the book in my carry bag. 🤦‍♂️ So it was a quick trip to the library to return it but I did come back with a trivia sheet, a crossword, and a sudoku. 

I think the multiple copies of the same book are so there can be a book club on a longer cruise where everyone is reading the same book and comes together to discuss it. Maybe I should try to organise something like this on our upcoming 23 night transpacific as there are lots of sea days. 🤔

LOL  That is me returning final borrowed library book on day of departure and returning with more paperwork. 

Yes longer cruises do often run book clubs with passengers reading the same book and meeting to discuss it.  Would be a good idea on your 23 night transpacific cruise with lots of sea days.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sayaguru said:

Got off the ship Sunday. Had the sniffles Sunday afternoon. Cough, headache and tired yesterday. Just tested positive to Covid. Bummer. 

Just an occasional cough today. No headache. 

So sorry to hear you tested positive to Covid.  I hope you continue to have mild symptoms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sayaguru said:

Got off the ship Sunday. Had the sniffles Sunday afternoon. Cough, headache and tired yesterday. Just tested positive to Covid. Bummer. 

Just an occasional cough today. No headache. 

Sorry to hear you tested positive. I hope that your symptoms remain mild. One 'positive' aspect is that, going forward, your immunity to COVID will be boosted.🙂

We had COVID in early April and were told we should wait 12 weeks before having the fourth shot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Here are a few photos. The first one is Mark (Sparky) reading his poem (song?), then the CC group. Our mini suite had an Aussie power socket located in a strange place. Attached is a photo.

CC Mark.JPG

CC group.JPG

CC 240v Socket.JPG

Thanks for the better quality pics! And especially as they are the right way up lol

• Haha 2

Reading posts about recent Coral cruises, covid cabins occupied etc, I fear there are more covid cases on board, than people realise. The numbers should be released not hidden.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Actually reading through some of the very funny comments etc on cruise critic over time, surely we could offer some very worthwhile comedians to the cruiselubez 😂😂😂😂

Plenty of comedians on here 😄

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Reading posts about recent Coral cruises, covid cabins occupied etc, I fear there are more covid cases on board, than people realise. The numbers should be released not hidden.

Why should the numbers be released when they are not released for other venues?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Correct. They are not secret, but not subject to a daily media conference like we had when we had single cases. If they are under 3% of crew/passengers it is considered to be under control the same as it is handled on ships around the world, and the state health departments don't need to announce an out of control covid spread.

As with the early P&O cruises, I am a bit disappointed that passengers that test positive when returning home aren't connected back to the ship, as that will giver a truer rate of how many infections stem directly from the cruise. Even then, hard to know if infected on the ship, it transit or in port.

For self protection, I think you need to assume everyone has covid, keep your distance or wear a mask when you can't, washy-washy, happy-happy.

6 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Here are a few photos. The first one is Mark (Sparky) reading his poem (song?), then the CC group. Our mini suite had an Aussie power socket located in a strange place. Attached is a photo.

CC Mark.JPG

CC group.JPG

CC 240v Socket.JPG

What a happy looking group, and what an interesting power outlet. Good to see a couple of USB's.

31 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Even international flights into aids no longer need to have vac cert.

personally I think it’s just the whole thing has been drummed into us for two years now snd it’s hard to get past the whole fear factor for some people??? The only way to stop this continuing esp now most people are vaccinated, is to stop counting, reporting etc. our passage & covid contract we had to sign stated we acknowledged the chance of catching “something “ was a possibility.

ideally everyone will keep up the hand washing,  using elbows if you have to cough and if you have any cold like symptoms avoid crowds.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Should all be released. Dont you want to know the covid history of a ship before you book or embark? I do !

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1