Which Cruise Port in Sydney?

Hi, booked a cruise from Sydney to New Zealand Jan. 2-14 on Holland America's Noordam. I note there are two cruise ports in Sydney, one in Circular Quay and one in White Bay. We have a couple days in Sydney before our cruise. I am getting an early jump on hotels just because that's how I roll, and hoping to get a hotel relatively close to port.  Anyone know which port Holland America uses? I don't see anything about it on the documents.

13 minutes ago, laura1960 said:

Hi, booked a cruise from Sydney to New Zealand Jan. 2-14 on Holland America's Noordam. I note there are two cruise ports in Sydney, one in Circular Quay and one in White Bay. We have a couple days in Sydney before our cruise. I am getting an early jump on hotels just because that's how I roll, and hoping to get a hotel relatively close to port.  Anyone know which port Holland America uses? I don't see anything about it on the documents.

Hi, if you google Sydney cruise ship ports schedule you will be able to check where your ship is scheduled to dock.

Edited by Jean C

24 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hi, if you google Sydney cruise ship ports schedule you will be able to check where your ship is scheduled to dock.

Ooh, thanks Jean! It looks like we are cruising out of White Bay! I didn't find this when I was googling earlier.

2 hours ago, laura1960 said:

We have a couple days in Sydney before our cruise. I am getting an early jump on hotels just because that's how I roll, and hoping to get a hotel relatively close to port.

I don't know if you are aware but White Bay is some way from the Sydney CBD (downtown).

You might be better off finding a hotel closer to the city, particularly near Circular Quay, and catching a taxi to White Bay.

6 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I don't know if you are aware but White Bay is some way from the Sydney CBD (downtown).

You might be better off finding a hotel closer to the city, particularly near Circular Quay, and catching a taxi to White Bay.

I agree with these comments. It would be more convenient for you to have a hotel in the central CBD during your stay in Sydney, then you only have to catch a taxi on the morning you are due to embark on your cruise.

Thanks all...it does look like it's about a 20 minute cab ride to the port, so you're right, staying in the CBD might be more interesting. We stayed there a few years back and loved it.

Just now, Chiliburn said:

You are going to have to get a taxi or Uber to white bay cruise terminal.

So you can stay anywhere you like .

Do you have a preferred hotel chain or style of hotel?

Cheap! Or at least not $400 a night like some of the Sydney CBD ones. We did stay at Park Regis last time and enjoyed it.

5 minutes ago, laura1960 said:

Thanks all...it does look like it's about a 20 minute cab ride to the port, so you're right, staying in the CBD might be more interesting. We stayed there a few years back and loved it.

4 minutes ago, laura1960 said:

Cheap! Or at least not $400 a night like some of the Sydney CBD ones. We did stay at Park Regis last time and enjoyed it.

So 1or 2 nights? what do you plan to be doing?  Catching public transport as in trains,ferrries? Just relaxing and a harbour walk? 
I wouldn’t recommend the CBD as there’s better places with better prices such as darling harbour,Haymarket (Chinatown/central station) or even Potts Point/ Woolloomooloo  .

I had a two night stay at Ibis Darling Harbour when I went to see Hamilton (the theatre is a short walk away). It's walking distance to all the Darling Harbour eateries, cafes etc., and light rail to CBD is close by. It was basic but clean and comfortable and inexpensive. It's only about 10 minute cab drive from White Bay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

I had a two night stay at Ibis Darling Harbour when I went to see Hamilton (the theatre is a short walk away). It's walking distance to all the Darling Harbour eateries, cafes etc., and light rail to CBD is close by. It was basic but clean and comfortable and inexpensive. It's only about 10 minute cab drive from White Bay.

There is a Novotel next to the Ibis. The Holiday Inn is on the other side of Darling harbour, near Chinatown.

• Like 2

We have recently started staying at Meriton Apartments in the City. Close to everything and you also have a small kitchen and a washer/dryer. Unless staying Saturday night, prices are quite reasonable. Before this The View North Sydney was our choice before cruises as they had a cruise ship package which included transfers to the Port. Not sure if they are offering that package at the moment though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

There is a Novotel next to the Ibis. The Holiday Inn is on the other side of Darling harbour, near Chinatown.

I would much rather any of those 3 hotels in darling harbour than the hustle and bustle of the CBD. Much cheaper too.

Catch the train and light rail from the airport and just over the Anzac bridge to white bay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, resordanis said:

We have recently started staying at Meriton Apartments in the City. Close to everything and you also have a small kitchen and a washer/dryer. Unless staying Saturday night, prices are quite reasonable. Before this The View North Sydney was our choice before cruises as they had a cruise ship package which included transfers to the Port. Not sure if they are offering that package at the moment though.

Recently stayed at Meriton Apartments Kent St in the city. (Other Meriton Apartments also recommended too).   Minutes walk to Darling Harbour, Chinatown, only 3 minutes to light rail system.  Overnight rates are v.good and you have a small kitchen and washer/dryer in apartment.  Being a regular visitor to Sydney I have found these apartments to be the most central for all tourist sites to visit.   Also,  it is very easy to catch a taxi to White Bay terminal.  A thought.... you will be booking accommodation late December, early January over the New Year period and the rates will be very high in Sydney CBD and surrounding areas! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CCC's said:

A thought.... you will be booking accommodation late December, early January over the New Year period and the rates will be very high in Sydney CBD and surrounding areas! 

A major thought. Because the hotels fill with patrons for the NYE Sydney Harbour fireworks, the prices for good hotels border on exorbitant. 31st December in Sydney is the most expensive night anywhere in Australia for the year.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, arxcards said:

A major thought. Because the hotels fill with patrons for the NYE Sydney Harbour fireworks, the prices for good hotels border on exorbitant. 31st December in Sydney is the most expensive night anywhere in Australia for the year.

Agree.  Hotel prices in Sydney and surrounding areas are over New Year period are horrendous.  Perhaps you could consider flying into Sydney day before cruises, stay at hotel at the airport (reasonable price over NY period) go on cruise 2-14 January then book accommodation in Sydney CBD after cruise.  Accommodation costs are back to a more normal level, that is about 25% of overnight cost over NY period.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the helpful advice! Yes, I nearly had a heart attack when I looked at the prices for New Year's Eve. We land in Sydney the afternoon of the 31st, and if previous transpacific/transatlantic flights are any indication, we will be walking zombies/blithering idiots after the long flight and probably will not be up to braving the hordes to see the fireworks. We will likely just watch it on the television, like I suppose the majority of Australians do.

I had originally booked a small, refundable place in Chinatown that got mixed reviews, but now I see that it may be permanently closed. It's still available on all the major booking sites, oddly enough, but no recent reviews of the place. It's called Dixon Residences. As back up, I booked a hotel by the airport (Holiday Inn Express). Will probably cancel the Dixon place if I find anything more about it.....seems a bit sketchy.

We have one full day (Jan 1) in Sydney before the cruise. We have done the usual sights (city tour, Bondi Beach, Circular Quay, harbour tour, Opera House tour, Blue Mountains visit, aquarium, etc) three years ago. We may do the Taronga Zoo, or possibly another harbour cruise.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, laura1960 said:

Thanks for all the helpful advice! Yes, I nearly had a heart attack when I looked at the prices for New Year's Eve. We land in Sydney the afternoon of the 31st, and if previous transpacific/transatlantic flights are any indication, we will be walking zombies/blithering idiots after the long flight and probably will not be up to braving the hordes to see the fireworks. We will likely just watch it on the television, like I suppose the majority of Australians do.

I had originally booked a small, refundable place in Chinatown that got mixed reviews, but now I see that it may be permanently closed. It's still available on all the major booking sites, oddly enough, but no recent reviews of the place. It's called Dixon Residences. As back up, I booked a hotel by the airport (Holiday Inn Express). Will probably cancel the Dixon place if I find anything more about it.....seems a bit sketchy.

We have one full day (Jan 1) in Sydney before the cruise. We have done the usual sights (city tour, Bondi Beach, Circular Quay, harbour tour, Opera House tour, Blue Mountains visit, aquarium, etc) three years ago. We may do the Taronga Zoo, or possibly another harbour cruise.

Good idea to have a day at Taronga Zoo, or zoo and walk to Balmoral Beach,  or a harbour cruise to Manly with walk to The Spit or along the Esplanade (turn right).  Nice activities to feel like you are in Australia, not cookie cutter somewhere else.   

1 hour ago, laura1960 said:

A airport hotel is a good choice in your situation.

The holiday inn express doesn’t have much around it though. There’s a airport shuttle but I think it has a charge  ,$13 pp from memory ?

The Holiday inn at the airport would be better as there’s a train station,a couple of places to eat as a supermarket one block away.

Have you looked into if HAL has a shuttle to white bay?  Sometimes the cruise line have a shuttle from central station or the airport.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, laura1960 said:

I can recommend the CKS Hotel at Wolli Creek. It's about five minutes from the airport (about a mile),  in the same street as the Novotel, and they run a shuttle to/from the airport. It's about a 10 minute walk to Wolli Creek station from where you can take the train into the city to Circular Quay (17 minutes). It's on the same line as the airport station. I've used it many times (lost count) to stay the night before flying out of Sydney (mostly international), and found it cheaper than others in the area.

CKS Sydney Airport Hotel (book-directonline.com)

Train Wolli Creek to Circular Quay ferry wharf from $4 | Tickets & Timetables | Rome2rio

Edited by lyndarra

I can recommend the CKS Hotel at Wolli Creek. It's about five minutes from the airport (about a mile),  in the same street as the Novotel, and they run a shuttle to/from the airport. It's about a 10 minute walk to Wolli Creek station from where you can take the train into the city to Circular Quay (17 minutes). It's on the same line as the airport station. I've used it many times (lost count) to stay the night before flying out of Sydney (mostly international), and found it cheaper than others in the area.

• Like 3