Highland Dress

payman

:) It was March 2005 that I last posted on this board, I had been fed up with all the nonsense that was being said,very little constructive material.

I see that we are at it again with the old chestnut ( dress code ).

I have no intention of ever wearing a tuxedo, or condescending to hiring one,and besides I will not be told by any passenger, past, present or in the future what I must wear at the formal nights. I will always abide by the rules on board ship with neat and acceptable lounge suits.

By the way, as I come from SCOTLAND (Braveheart Country) I am entitled to wear the Highland Dress of my home country,this is accepted all over the world, butwill certain cruise passengers accept this.

Please, please give it a rest, I do agree everbody should be neat and tidy, we do not want a lot of passengers looking over their shoulders wondering if somebody is talking about them in their lounge suits ?.

This coming June my family and I are going on the Infinity to Alaska, this will be followed by a trip in the Caribbean March 2007 on the Constellation. We were through the Panama Canal with the Radiance of the Seas October 2005, also to Hawaii on the Radiance September 2004.

We have cruised on the Voyager & Explorer of the Seas as well as Disney Magic, oh. and not to forget our old friend the "Zenith". I think I have been to quite a few formal nights.

So first you say that no one will tell you what you should wear, and then you ask if Highland Dress is acceptable?

I say yes, not that it matters to you. In other such discussions here on Cruise Critic I have never seen anyone say No, not that that matters to you. Will a fellow passenger on your ship disagree? There's no way to say, since we can't speak for all those people. But since it doesn't matter to you what another passenger says, what does it matter?

As a proud descendant of Irish/Scottish heritage, Highland dress is lovely and I have seen it on a few cruises. I don't consider a tux a requirement for formal night either. Mr Wolf wears his since he bought it for our wedding and hey - he gets his money's worth and it inspires him not to gain weight! :) A suit or even a jacket with slacks, a button down shirt and a tie would be considered conforming tothe requested attire. I say wear your kilt with pride.

Dear Payman,

I can feel the anger in your post and rightly so if anyone told you you could not wear Highland Dress but as a fellow Scot I have never experienced any objection to wearing our national dress, actualy quite the contrary. I have only sailed Royal Caribbean and I have been respected for wearing national dress. I will be on Explorer in 8 weeks time and I will be wearing Braemar jacket and Lindsey tartan trews. I do think these people would be in the minority. Enjoy your cruise to Alaska in June which is a brilliant month to go there. We were there in 2000 on Vision and really enjoyed the trip and coped perfectly with the weather coming from Scotland. Remember your hip flash for the Glaciers. The Athabasca Glacier can be quite cold especially when you get out of the snowcoach. Have a dram for me and don't get too upset at the few ignorant people around as they are not worth raising your blood presssure for. Stay cool and enjoy your trips. Sorry just remembered that was on the Rockies but I am sure you will land on a glacier if you take a plane trip over Mendenhall and come down on the glacier we found that a nice trip[

We are going on the Constellation in April and my husband was thinking of wearing his kilt. My husband is a bagpiper so wears a kilt often. My son is playing the drums in the band now so they both may be wearing a kilt to formal nights.

I think auld Rabbie said it best:

O wad some Power the giftie gie us

To see oursels as ithers see us!

It wad frae mony a blunder free us,

An' foolish notion:

What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,

An' ev'n devotion!

Hey, Alba

Glad to hear from a near neighbour, the info you requested is the 25th June 2006 on the Infinity from Vancouver (a beautiful city ). I would like to thank all those cruisers who took their time to reply with good comments in relation to our national dress. Unfortunately the week before I will be in the Rockie's on board The Rocky Mountaineer, I just will not have the room in my luggage

for the kilt etc. But it will not stop me from enjoying myself,good cruising all,

that really does mean all of you.

Andy

The only problem my 18 year old had wearing the kilt rig out on our Summit cruise last year was the old ladies monstering him in the lift:) (yes he was a true Scotsman, heat of the Carribean and all that)

:)

By the way, as I come from SCOTLAND (Braveheart Country) I am entitled to wear the Highland Dress of my home country,this is accepted all over the world, butwill certain cruise passengers accept this.

Although I disagree with what you're saying because I think formal means formal....I do want to say that wearing a kilt on formal night would be awesome. I do believe there is a poster on another board who is packing one in his suitcase for his upcoming cruise.........

The only problem my 18 year old had wearing the kilt rig out on our Summit cruise last year was the old ladies monstering him in the lift:) (yes he was a true Scotsman, heat of the Carribean and all that)
John Maxtone-Graham (marine historian) was the enrichment lecturer on a Holland America transatlantic that we were own. He wore the tartan for one of his lectures (and also for formal night). He recounted the time that he stepped into an elevator on a ship and encounter a lady who asked if it was true that Scot's wore nothing beneath the kilt. Thinking quickly, John said "I'm not very verbal, so you'll have to feel for yourself." As soon as the door opened, she bolted!

And btw, if you ever get the opportunity to hear JM-G, don't miss him.

DH and I both trace our Celtic heritage WAY back; mine goes back to the 14th century, his to the 16th. He wears his dress kilt to all black tie events, including our wedding, and recieves nothing but compliments. Most people in our area seem to understand that formal attire is not always a tux/dark suit.

I have to disagree with Halos about Highland Dress not being "formal"; it most certainly IS formal wear among Celts! My husband and I are both of full-blooded Irish descent and he wore a kilt on Celebrity Summit last fall to Alaska - it was a little cold (hee hee) but he was much admired and even took a formal photo with all the other gents aboard who wore kilts, about 5 in total. They looked great, had a great time and it's so much more than a tuxedo. BTW, when someone asked him what he was wearing under his kilt, he replied "a little talcum powder".

Do not try and tell anyone in Scotland that Hghland Dress is not formal. It is th emost usual form of formal dress at any evening function in Scotland including those at the Palace of Holyrood - take that from one who has been to one there when the Royals were in residence. Both Charles and Philip looked resplendent in the kilt

so exactly whats under the kilt? ;)

I have asked my friend (who wears it every celebrity cruise) he tells me its a SECRET! So please stand on the glass port hole in the buffet!

WEAR IT WITH PRIDE!!!!!

have an awesome cruise!

*sweet*

I am of Irish heritage and very proud of it. I only wish I was going on the same cruise to see - Wear (or don't wear) whatever you want. If anyone gives you a "look" show them what is underneath :D

My SO wears his kilt with his Prince Charlie jacket, waist coat and winged collar with his dickie bow, so don't tell me that isn't formal. He looks the gent he is and always receives compliments when wearing it. Any true Scot would tell you that a formal kilt outfit is "formal" end of story! You may get a little rather more attention than you might normally, but I've only ever known it to be positive and never negative.

Archived