Question: SAS pilot strike stranding Nieuw Statendam pax

Boatdrill

1 hour ago, Mom39 said:

Looking forward to my HAL cruise (boarding 12/23), but, yep, I don't think I'll fly SAS again.  How on earth did they come up for $1,270!!!!!  I am angry.  Happy about the EU law of $600 per person for the inconvenience.  But, I won't be giving up.

Keep us up to date, and good luck getting a fair compensation. 🤞

5 hours ago, Mom39 said:

Happy about the EU law of $600 per person for the inconvenience.  

My understanding is that it is not an inconvenience compensation as it is not payable if you are able to find an alternate flight whicharrives within three hours of the original schedule.  Is my understanding incorrect?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand the question.  For the two cancelled nonstop return flights from Copenhagen to Chicago, which SAS cancelled the day before the flights: On 12/20, I received $1,278.00.  On 12/19, I received $1,270.00. SAS also reimbursed what I paid for the return seats which was $1,012.  Total rec’d: around $3,560.  Apparently SAS believes I should have gotten two people home from Copenhagen at the last minute with only $2,270.  Had that been the case, perhaps SAS would have booked us on alternative flights but they said at the time that nothing was available.  I'm not happy.

@Mom39 On one claim I had in 2019 for a cancelled flight, AA didn’t reimburse the total amount of our hotel room because it exceeded their daily allowance. However, we were not given a limit or a voucher or any guidance, just told by the agent in AMS to get an airport hotel until our flight (now the following day) and AA would reimburse us (I had even asked if there was a limit and was told “no”.) We returned to the same airport hotel (Hilton) that we had stayed upon arrival. At 10am, there was only 1 type of room available for immediate check-in, and of course at the last minute it was considerably higher than our previous pre-paid rate.

While AA was being unreasonable, I went ahead and filed with my regular travel insurance for the difference and they paid it. Perhaps your travel insurance can kick in the difference if SAS continues to refuse.

Do you happen to have a screen shot or documentation of the BA flight that was the same price as the business one you took? It has always worked in my favor when I have screenshots to send to back up that I haven’t been excessive. As we know, last-minute fares are sometimes exponentially higher. Since you were told SAS would not be available to help you,  you had to take matters into your own hands.

Hope everything works out for you!