I found out why the items in the ship's stores are about 1/3 higher than regular retail

ChucktownSteve

Now I'm not begrudging the cruise line from making profits on top of the lease contract, however I was able to determine the AZ cut on a recently refunded, defective item.

After several months, I received the credit.  It came in two refunded portions.   One represented the amount from the vendor while the other from AZ.  It appears AZ's cut adds about one third to the price because the amount refunded by the vendor was the regular retail obtainable elsewhere.Thought I'd share with those who were curious.

So is that OBC really free money or are they just getting it back?

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Thanks 2

It may also depend on the items. I bought a watch on board in May, and it cost a few dollars more than I would have had to pay for it ashore, but I would have had to look harder and drive around a bit, or order it online. The convenience and good service was worth the few extra dollars for me.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

It may also depend on the items. I bought a watch on board in May, and it cost a few dollars more than I would have had to pay for it ashore, but I would have had to look harder and drive around a bit, or order it online. The convenience and good service was worth the few extra dollars for me.

Absolutely. There is a huge mark up generally on jewellery and watches. I have a friend who has a jewellery business and I remember him telling me. The type of goods will have an affect on the the bottom line price. If I'm interested in buying something onboard a quick Google search spells it out.

If I'm using up non refundable OBC and have nothing else to spend it on other than the shop then it's essentially free anyway. 

Phil 

• Like 1

Yes, I am very much one who is only going to buy to use up non refundable OBC.  The mark up is annoying, I remember a really brutal mark up on Steiner hair products onboard but they were bought because the $60 was going to waste and it was either leave (lose) that money or have it mark up and all.  I took the latter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Yes, I am very much one who is only going to buy to use up non refundable OBC.  The mark up is annoying, I remember a really brutal mark up on Steiner hair products onboard but they were bought because the $60 was going to waste and it was either leave (lose) that money or have it mark up and all.  I took the latter.

Totally agree.  I have bought several overpriced watches on board because they were paid for with OBC so the watches were free.  I have even bought watches that were for someone else and they paid me half the price they would have paid on land.  This was a win-win situation for the both of us.  I just can't understand how people complain about the prices of free items.

DON

• Like 4

I have bought several sets of Coeur de Lion jewellery on board Azamara (when they used to sell it - they don’t any more) and Viking. In each case, I checked the prices on the internet to make sure I wasn’t paying over the odds, and I wasn’t. I do suspect Coeur de Lion has a hefty markup in any shop, though. It’s not valuable jewellery, but I like it, and I think it’s pretty. I’m never short of temptations to spend on-board credit on, so I try to make sure I’m paying an acceptable price! 😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Totally agree.  I have bought several overpriced watches on board because they were paid for with OBC so the watches were free.  I have even bought watches that were for someone else and they paid me half the price they would have paid on land.  This was a win-win situation for the both of us.  I just can't understand how people complain about the prices of free items.

DON

I wasn't complaining. What part was a complaint?  The first sentence?

22 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I wasn't complaining. What part was a complaint?  The first sentence?

Plus there are lots of people who buy with real cash not the OBC perk which is really built into the cost of the cruise.  Free?  I heard the people in corporate cruise companies laughing at that one. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Related to shopping onboard and looking ahead since we will probably have $750-800 USD in OBC on the 2nd leg of our B2B (spent what I could on shore ex but poor choices for half the ports).   It is a 7 night port intensive cruise.   Sailaway at 6pm, next day 6pm departure, then 10pm, 8pm, overnight departing next night at 10pm and 5pm (last night).    

My question, if departure is so late on 2 nights, are the shops open after that?  Does not look like much opportunity to spend that OBC if I'm not careful about the time

Our one cruise so far on Azamara didn't seen to have much of a boutique for shopping., and that may have been the time of the year.

On another cruise line I was spending down OBC and bought some terribly expensive nail polish, got home and it was some of the best nail polish I have ever used.  I have been unable to find it anyplace, not even on line) so will have to save some OBC incase I can find it on our next cruise.

19 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Plus there are lots of people who buy with real cash not the OBC perk which is really built into the cost of the cruise.  Free?  I heard the people in corporate cruise companies laughing at that one. 🤪

I also wondered how OBC is actually ever "free".

• Like 2

All this OBC with Azamara promotions started way back during the time of Larry Pimentel.  It is a gimmick that I really don’t care for.  I would rather pay less in cruise fare…..period.  I have never had so much OBC to spend that I really have to worry about, but I know some people do.  You can accumulate a lot with big suites and back to backs, neither of which I have had the opportunity to do.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Nothing is free 😉

Ivi

• Like 3

1 hour ago, takemewithyou said:

All this OBC with Azamara promotions started way back during the time of Larry Pimentel.  It is a gimmick that I really don’t care for.  I would rather pay less in cruise fare…..period.  I have never had so much OBC to spend that I really have to worry about, but I know some people do.  You can accumulate a lot with big suites and back to backs, neither of which I have had the opportunity to do.  

I would also rather have lower rates than non refundable OBC. I have ended up buying things which I do not need at very expensive prices. You think you get a huge amount of OBC but that money does not buy much. The purchase power of US 1000 as OBC is much less than US 1000 on land.

Ivi

• Like 6

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

I would also rather have lower rates than non refundable OBC. I have ended up buying things which I do not need at very expensive prices. You think you get a huge amount of OBC but that money does not buy much. The purchase power of US 1000 as OBC is much less than US 1000 on land.

Ivi

By about 1/3? lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Ivi

Totally agree w you regarding OBC versus lower rates.  However look at it from the cruise company's viewpoint.  If they give you OBC you go back and spend the money on the ship.  If they lower the fares they are out 100% of the fare reduction.  As difficult as it may be to believe, cruise companies are not totally stupid.  Fairly stupid but not totally.  So if they are not going to change the system and you don't want to loose your OBC the next best alternative is to game the system to your advantage.  That is what I do when I buy pre-selected watches w my OBC and sell it to a friend at 50% off my cost.  50% of my cost is better than 100% of nothing.

DON

Have you ever asked them to remove the back of the watch so you can see all the plastic parts they put where you can't see them?  I learned that lesson in the islands decades ago.  The outside is Purdy.  Inside not so much....Sometimes cheaply made at top price. 

Using up Non Refundable OBC is what everyone apparently does.  See the previous posts of free money..  You're the only one who I heard sells the items to friends to recover some cash.

I let my wife pick out anything she wants.  I call that making a deposit in her emotional bank account.  That way I can take debits when I screw up. And if you're married,  you know I"m gonna do that.

The refund was for a defective Mary Francis purse that I actually got cash back from the vendor and AZ.  That's the best way to convert NROBC. I got the cash back AND her good will. lol WIN WIN.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, harrodsfan said:

I am very disappointed in the shop merchandise. Pretty bad selection imho! Maybe just not my taste. 

I agree entirely, having recently be on both Quest and Journey.  The merchandise is very high end, many of brands (particularly skincare) I have never heard of.  Most of the shirts and clothing items are only stocked in XL.  The range of Azamara souvenirs is poor.  If it wasn't for the fact that alot of people at the moment have OBC to spend I doubt the shop would sell anything.  Even with OBC I had trouble spending it and left the ship with money still on my account.

The have some things on Onward that I really liked. I couldn’t resist one of the amazing beaded handbags, and I found a watch as well. The costume jewellery that they stock now is nice enough, but I don’t like it as well as Coeur de Lion, which they had before the change of ownership, but not any more, apparently.

Edited by lisiamc