Viking Air suddenly feels like a Bait & Switch...

SempreMare

6 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

But paid for?  As I said a few times on these air-related threads, several agents told me to not even bother inquiring right now cause they won't be able to do much for me, i.e. assign a specific itinerary, let alone seats. 

I booked my flights in May. I talked to my TA, explained what our preference were and what was not acceptable (short connecting times , very long connecting times). She got on the phone with Viking and took care of the arrangements. By the time she was done, I had an acceptable flight plan and seats. No money was requested at that time; any additional fees went on my bill and were paid for at the beginning of July when we made our final payment.

• Like 1

Peregrina 651 it is great Viking Air was able to agree to your flights which is what we expect. The one thing difference recently I have seen is  Viking Air is making reservations but is not ticketing the flight so some passengers unable to upgrade flights with frequent flier miles until much closer to flight and upgrades seats may not be available at that later time.  Viking air has no control over flight cancellations so what you ask for may not be what happens when time comes to depart. Hoping the airline  industry is able to respond to increased demand and lack of ground personnel in the near future.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pegct said:

Peregrina 651 it is great Viking Air was able to agree to your flights which is what we expect. The one thing difference recently I have seen is  Viking Air is making reservations but is not ticketing the flight so some passengers unable to upgrade flights with frequent flier miles until much closer to flight and upgrades seats may not be available at that later time.  Viking air has no control over flight cancellations so what you ask for may not be what happens when time comes to depart. Hoping the airline  industry is able to respond to increased demand and lack of ground personnel in the near future.

Our outbound flights not leaving until 12/2/22. Asked for "early e-ticketing"  yesterday. Done within 4 hours. You just need to ask. Have Air Plus so maybe that helped.

The thing I never understood is, with telling someone they have a flight schedule BUT not actually ticketing, does that mean a certain seat is indeed reserved for that person? The way I gather it is that the cruise line air departments (and likely other tour agencies, etc.) purchase blocks of seats - sort of like hotel rooms - but then isn't this partially responsible for why flights get oversold / overbooked?  I started doing serious research into flight options for my January cruise, and am dismayed to find that on the search engines such as expedia AND also on the airline sites - you can't see which seats are actually available unless you pay for the flights. At least I'm finding this to be the case with international searches. For domestic, on expedia, I still can acess the seats to see what's available. Darned if I'm going to shell out 5 figures up front for Business class on any website if I can't be sure that there are even seats available before paying. I also like to check out the configuration of the plane - easily done on seat guru. I realize changes can be made at ANY point - especially in the current environment - but I feel much more comfortable going into a flight booking having seen and chosen the seats I want, knowing that I actually reserved that seat. Still doesn't prevent a flight from becoming oversold however. What's to say that Viking "sold" or guaranteed a specific seat - if not yet ticketed - and yet someone else might be able to grab that same seat. I guess I've never fully understood how the whole process works but I do know it's very nerve wracking when you're waiting for your overnight flight to Europe and they start badgering the pax about needed a handful of people to give up their tickets for a later flight. The one time they were up to $1,000 but nobody wanted to go for it since international is not as easily rescheduled as domestic depending on where and when you need to be. As it was, due all the coaxing for people to give up their seats - we missed out connection next morning. Flying is just...stressful and getting worse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

"early e-ticketing"  yesterday

Let me ask you this....prior to making your arrangements, did you have any sort of air component added to your trip? What happened to me is that the one agent said that since I don't have any air component she couldn't do anything for me. Another said...sure...she could add (for like $100 pp?) the 'air plus' or some such and that way I'd be able to call them and book flights.  But then came back and said she couldn't (?) Yet another agent said...don't bother...they're too busy helping people get flights that are only 60 days out from their trip. It's totally frustrating. At this point I want to have my TA check out a few itinieraries that I came across, and probably also call Viking and see what they can offer her. I also want to call them and discuss all this, since I remain confused on exactly how the process works. IF I could see what the seats are on expedia, I'd be tempted to just do it myself and done. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

2 hours ago, Pegct said:

Viking Air is making reservations but is not ticketing the flight so some passengers unable to upgrade flights with frequent flier miles until much closer to flight and upgrades seats may not be available at that later time. 

suggesting...what? That you first have to book economy and then upgrade later?  

57 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Let me ask you this....prior to making your arrangements, did you have any sort of air component added to your trip? What happened to me is that the one agent said that since I don't have any air component she couldn't do anything for me. Another said...sure...she could add (for like $100 pp?) the 'air plus' or some such and that way I'd be able to call them and book flights.  But then came back and said she couldn't (?) Yet another agent said...don't bother...they're too busy helping people get flights that are only 60 days out from their trip. It's totally frustrating. At this point I want to have my TA check out a few itinieraries that I came across, and probably also call Viking and see what they can offer her. I also want to call them and discuss all this, since I remain confused on exactly how the process works. IF I could see what the seats are on expedia, I'd be tempted to just do it myself and done. 

We booked a special promo package that was advertised over Memorial Day WE. It included, among many other benefits, "free" RT economy air from even secondary airports not just from "gateways". I added Air Plus for $100pp and have had direct, friendly access to the Viking Air Plus department. I then started to investigate "upgrades" on my own.  The MyVikingJourney site does NOT show you all the possibilities. You need to speak to Air Plus. Really, pay the $100pp fee. It will make your life easier. I didn't bother my TA with this because all I use her for is the OBC that she provides as well as the use of her agency's "concierge" if there are any problems. 

Just yesterday, I changed our itinerary to avoid a connection in a a European airport and worked with Air Plus to price out upgrade costs. It was so much cheaper to do the upgrade with Viking than directly with the airline so we jumped on that. We then requested "early ticketing' and that was done within 4 hours. You just have to request early ticketing. No extra charge for that.

Concerning  seats on an aircraft: go to the individual airlines sites and make a "dummy booking" to see the available seats.  If you don't know how to do that, please consult your travel agent and ask for help. Good luck!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

You need to speak to Air Plus. Really, pay the $100pp fee.

Yeah, I wanted to...as I think I mentioned along the way somewhere, and then the agent said I couldn't do it. I got conflicting info that made no sense to me. 

5 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

You just have to request early ticketing. No extra charge for that.

I will add this to my notes prior to calling them. I don't care about the extra charge if it means knowing which seats I get. 

6 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

make a "dummy booking" to see the available seats.

I tried this...lots of times...once you get to the completion of itinerary, next step is that they ask for payment. There are NO options to choose seats prior to paying. I've been using expedia and such for many years and always have been able to see seats before paying. Still can for domestic, but not for longhaul. 

9 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

We booked a special promo package that was advertised over Memorial Day WE. It included, among many other benefits, "free" RT economy air from even secondary airports not just from "gateways".

OK...now I believe I recall your mentioning this before. 

1 minute ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Yeah, I wanted to...as I think I mentioned along the way somewhere, and then the agent said I couldn't do it. I got conflicting info that made no sense to me. 

I will add this to my notes prior to calling them. I don't care about the extra charge if it means knowing which seats I get. 

I tried this...lots of times...once you get to the completion of itinerary, next step is that they ask for payment. There are NO options to choose seats prior to paying. I've been using expedia and such for many years and always have been able to see seats before paying. Still can for domestic, but not for longhaul. 

1. Call the main Viking number and just tell them to add Air Plus to your reservation. They'll gladly take your money. Then call the Air Plus number and ignore the recording about them only dealing with clients with departures within 60 days. (Press #1 for client, then #1 again for Air Plus. ) 

2. Speak to you TA if you can't figure out how to see seat/class availability on your own. The is an Expert Flyer website that shows the # of seats that are available in each class and if they are upgradeable or not for a given flight but it's a paid service. Your TA may have access to it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pegct said:

It has always been the Viking policy to ticket closer to departure, somewhere in the 90 to 75 day range.

Those who are upgrading with points can ask to be ticketed sooner (there used to be a fee involved for early ticketing; I don't know if there still is). Those who want to choose seats and need to be ticketed to do so can also ask.  Watch out for trying to choose seats on codeshares where you have not booked with the operating airline; some airlines make codeshares wait until they get to the airport to choose seats.

IF you are going to be upgrading with points, remember that not all ticket classes can be upgraded -- and not all all classes of tickets are necessarily available through Viking. Let Viking know you plan to upgrade so that they can steer you in the right direction.

47 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

It has always been the Viking policy to ticket closer to departure, somewhere in the 90 to 75 day range.

Those who are upgrading with points can ask to be ticketed sooner (there used to be a fee involved for early ticketing; I don't know if there still is). Those who want to choose seats and need to be ticketed to do so can also ask.  Watch out for trying to choose seats on codeshares where you have not booked with the operating airline; some airlines make codeshares wait until they get to the airport to choose seats.

IF you are going to be upgrading with points, remember that not all ticket classes can be upgraded -- and not all all classes of tickets are necessarily available through Viking. Let Viking know you plan to upgrade so that they can steer you in the right direction.

1. No cost for early ticketing yesterday.

2. Viking will tell you what booking code you are reserved under - just ask. Some codes allow upgrades (via cash or miles), some don't. These are published and easily accesible  via Google. Also depends on your status with the airline in question. Frankly, I upgraded to Premium Economy (Premium Select) on Delta because the booking code for that service allows us to easily upgrade to Delta One via Delta not Viking. Just need to decide whether to use miles or cash.

3. True about codeshares. Avoid them if you are looking for upgrades with miles but they usually will be happy to take $$.

55 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Watch out for trying to choose seats on codeshares

Interesting that you mention this, since the outbound flight I'm considering is a Finnish Air flight codeshared with AA. One of the inbound flights is also codeshared with BA. I recall going around the bush with all that once before with Viking - must have been for the flights associated with the March '19 Northern Lights trip. Except for the Chairman's cruise, that's the only other time I've ever traveled with Viking. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, keokukjoe said:

upgrades with miles

Never had miles and likely never will. Just sounds so much easier to book flights myself, but then all the money is at risk if we'd cancel compared to being under Viking. I don't want to book economy and then hassle with some sort of upgrade. That worked out ok with the Chairman's cruise to upgrade the free economy air they offered us and changed it to PE. Nice enough going over, but the PE was crappy on the way back. I'm ready to lay flat when trying to sleep on a plane...gettin' too old to keep inconveniencing myself for the sake of trying to save a few bucks (well...more like quite a few) LOL  

Those who have used business class seating for couples...which seats would you receommend in this configuration as being best for two people? I'm thinking that in this set-up probably every other DH combination where the seats are closest together (?)  Or else a set of 2 A's or L's on either side. 

1365994005_ScreenShot2022-07-17at7_13_22PM.thumb.jpeg.6eeda5fb6023c41ba685430fea53a8c5.jpeg

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

9 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

Our outbound flights not leaving until 12/2/22. Asked for "early e-ticketing"  yesterday. Done within 4 hours. You just need to ask. Have Air Plus so maybe that helped.

Wondering if Viking is more responsive to early ticketing based on cabin category you are booked in.

7 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

suggesting...what? That you first have to book economy and then upgrade later?  

Yea, sometimes if you get a reduced airfare on Viking the fare class is not eligible for upgrades.

57 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Those who have used business class seating for couples...which seats would you receommend in this configuration as being best for two people? I'm thinking that in this set-up probably every other DH combination where the seats are closest together (?)  Or else a set of 2 A's or L's on either side. 

1365994005_ScreenShot2022-07-17at7_13_22PM.thumb.jpeg.6eeda5fb6023c41ba685430fea53a8c5.jpeg

These appear to be 'lie-flat' pods. In our experience, the pods are each set up to provide privacy for the individual passenger, and they are not conducive to conversation, etc. They are great for isolation and sleeping, not so much for interaction.

Given that, it really doesn't matter where a couple chooses to sit - it's something of an exercise to talk or see each other no matter what. I'd suggest either A-D or H-L - you can usually see you partner that way and you're on the same aisle. The D-H combos usually have the pod sides in between you and you have to raise up to look over them.

This is Air Canada's 787 business class, it may give you some idea of at least one configuration. 🍺🥌

Boeing 787 Dreamliner Business Class Cabin

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Ooooh, I like the layout! You don't have to wake anyone to go to the toilet. That's a double plus -- one for you and one for the person you would otherwise be disturbing.

Otherwise, I don't think it matters how you sit. Regardless of where you are, you are in a pod with a wall between you and surrounding seats. That kind of bars communication, even with the one you want to communicate with.

Our first experience with lay-flat seats we were side by side, aisle seat and window seat. It wasn't awful but he did have to get out of his seat to let me out at least once per flight. Our next flight, we have an aisle between us. We'll see how that works.

5 minutes ago, Pegct said:

Wondering if Viking is more responsive to early ticketing based on cabin category you are booked in.

I have only ever traveled DV. My TA has always been the one talking with VA (I like it that way because it slows down the decision making process; TA has to consult me before things are finally agreed to. TA and I can talk over the pros and cons and then she can get back on the phone with VA to finalize or change as needed). I never felt that we were treated any differently than any other passenger or that there was a problem with the back and forth between TA and client before agreeing to a flight plan. In fact, I have always felt that it is encouraged. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

We normally book the 2 inside seats, which are connecting. Except for 1 flight, all our business flights with this configuration had a partition that can be raised or lowered. Unfortunately, I can't remember which airline/aircraft didn't have the partition.

With the partition down we can chat easily.

• Thanks 1

AnyWayIsGood, we have done both. Center seats are better for communicating and handing things back and forth with the configurations you showed.  But when the center seats are more individual pods on a slant rather than two together, it really does not make much difference because either way you are separated.  With separate pods we have been across from each other, although they are not directly across due to the angles.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 9:32 AM, Carraig said:

I flew through Chicago from LHR a few weeks ago.  Global entry took a minute or two.  There were perhaps 10 kiosks, and given that all you need to do now is stand still for a picture and grab your receipt, I was at the baggage claim in minutes.  Of course, you then need to wait for bags for 30 minutes.

The only time that Chicago can be a problem is in the dead of winter with heavy snow and icing conditions.  Otherwise easy airport.

6 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

The only time that Chicago can be a problem is in the dead of winter with heavy snow and icing conditions.

Disagree.  In my experience of flying in and out of ORD for 45+ years (and over 4 million flight miles on United alone), summer thunderstorms have a much bigger overall impact on flight schedules in Chicago than snowstorms.  Just my opinion. YMMV.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 8:11 PM, Heidi13 said:

We normally book the 2 inside seats, which are connecting. Except for 1 flight, all our business flights with this configuration had a partition that can be raised or lowered. Unfortunately, I can't remember which airline/aircraft didn't have the partition.

With the partition down we can chat easily.

This is what we do too.  We mostly fly Delta, or it’s partners.  When we flew Emirates last year, the seating was different and I had to climb over DH to go to the bathroom.  We were seated on the side.  For the trip home, there were 3 pods in the center of the plane where we were seated, but and no one in the third, so it was easier to get in and out.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

This is what we do too.  We mostly fly Delta, or it’s partners.  When we flew Emirates last year, the seating was different and I had to climb over DH to go to the bathroom.  We were seated on the side.  For the trip home, there were 3 pods in the center of the plane where we were seated, but and no one in the third, so it was easier to get in and out.

British Airways still has that configuration on the older aircraft where the window seat pax has to climb over the aisle pax when the seats are in lie-flat mode. Never liked that configuration.

• Like 2