Viking Air suddenly feels like a Bait & Switch...

SempreMare

Here's the thing though....the pre and post extensions say that it includes ALL transfers. I mean, didn't I already pay for transfers?  So would they charge me again just because I'm not using their air?  That would seem a bit weird. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Twitchly...exactly. So, in my case, with pre and post I'd say I'm already covered regardless of who I book the air through....no?  I will GLADLY book air through Viking if (using early ticketing) I can be reasonably assured of getting seats well before 60 days out but more importantly, I don't want to be gouged price-wise. I don't mind paying a few hundred or even a bit more, but for them to (re)quote me a price on B-class that is $4k above what they initially quoted my TA is pretty hard to swallow.  I'm a bit nervous about how some here have reported that Viking changed their flights with very little advance notice. I don't know...I'm just so used to doing most travel plans myself, with the exception of booking cruises or organized land tours through our agent. The cost of Viking's air also jacks up the insurance. Just hate to wind up with yet more FCC if for some reason we wind up canceling, and I sure don't want more airline credits (like with a non-refundable ticket) that has to be used within a year or whatever. It took nearly a 2-hour conversation with an Expedia agent recently to apply credits from previously canceled flights to a new booking. So the refundable is certainly an attractive option. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

5 hours ago, longterm said:

the ease of letting Viking do the booking

But so far that hasn't been my experience at all. I had chatted with several agents who didn't all give me the same advice. One said she could at least add the $100 air+ cost so that I'd have an air component on my booking. Next one said..nope..can't do that. It appears I can't deal with them directly to book the air for one thing, and my TA just dreads calling their air department. She's frustrated with having gotten a good quote and then suddenly one far more expensive. So we're going back and forth via 3-way conversations and not making much progress. Several emails already and phone messages over the past week, and I still have nothing. I can hop on the airline website, book the flights I've researched, AND choose seats right away...and done in 20 minutes. I'll still wait and see if tomorrow my TA can again get ahold of someone helpful at the air department (some are and some aren't as much), run the new itinerary by them, and see what they come up with. If it's still this baloney about not having a contract for a (totally different) nonstop flight and thus having to charge an extra $4k+, I think I'm going to go with the airline. I want to get this done. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 8/5/2022 at 10:45 PM, Heidi13 said:

Not true - we have just cancelled a cruise and Viking Air and received cash back, less the deposit, in accordance with the cancellation terms & conditions. Our refund included the Air+ fee.

Andy, perhaps I'm thinking too much in terms of FCC. So under risk-free booking, all the money for the cruise, etc. is returned as cash? 

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

You mean directly from the airline or does Viking also offer that option (I''m thinking not)?  

Great question....I actually started to wonder about this. We have the pre and post extensions...so if I'm going independent flight booking, do I have to arrange all those transfers with Viking? I'd need to know what all that would cost in order to run the numbers and see which way it comes out best. And, it's not all about which 'appears' to be cheapest but also which is the easiest / most convenient. 

What about in the case of a pre-cruise extension?   I'll chat with Viking about some of this. 

Not so much worried about the cost as I am the service. Do they do as well for people who book their own air? 

Of course they do as well. Same people, same service meeting you & transporting you to the ship.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:45 PM, Heidi13 said:

Please see responses in red, as that is not our experience.

Thank you for your comments. You state that rerouting you do not want is "common practice with cruise line air." It may be, but I have booked cruise line air with other cruise lines and not had this experience.

You said you cancelled a cruise and Viking Air and received a refund. That is a completely different situation. Viking would not refund our air (we did not cancel the cruise).

Good to know that other airlines may give you credit towards their elite programs for tickets purchased by Viking Air. You're probably right - the lack of credit on AA is an AA problem (which is certainly not a surprise).

6 hours ago, longterm said:

There are some routes that can be improved upon by booking oneself, but the ease of letting Viking do the booking, then having them meet you at baggage claim, is a big plus. We've not booked our own flights for Viking cruises, so I have a question: if you book your own flights, do you still get transfers to and from the airport, or do you have to find your own?

If your flight is the same day as the Viking flights, you can book the transfer for $49. Even if you can return to meet the Viking flight, if it is not the same day as the Viking flight, it is a “No”. 

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Andy, perhaps I'm thinking too much in terms of FCC. So under risk-free booking, all the money for the cruise, etc. is returned as cash? 

Negative, when using the RFG you get zero cash back. When you cancel, you must decide between accepting the Risk-Free Guarantee, or the standard cancellation terms and conditions. Since we have no guarantee that we can cruise again, we opted for the cancellation terms, receiving exactly what I expected, nothing more, or less.

RFG - You do not receive any cash, but you receive vouchers for all monies paid to Viking. They will also include the return of any vouchers used for payment.  Since we had a significant amount of money involved, Viking did offer to create multiple vouchers in increments of $10,000. They will include the cost of Viking insurance.

Cancellation terms - provided you cancel prior to 120/180-days, based on length of cruise, Viking will provide a cash refund less the retained deposit, which for the World Cruise is $1,000 pp. If you purchase Viking insurance, they do not refund the premiums. Any vouchers used for payment are NOT returned. If you have Viking's insurance, you can claim the retained deposit amount, but not the loss of the value of the vouchers, as you don't pay any premium on these.

This was our recent experience, hope it helps explain the system.

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

hope it helps explain the system.

Andy, I assumed (and thought) that monies paid towards a cruise and/or air are returned in the form of vouchers with RFG, so must have misunderstood something I read in one of the posts. Thanks for the clarification though. Nice that they did multiple vouchers for you. Surely hope you can cruise again in the future. 

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Andy, I assumed (and thought) that monies paid towards a cruise and/or air are returned in the form of vouchers with RFG, so must have misunderstood something I read in one of the posts. Thanks for the clarification though. Nice that they did multiple vouchers for you. Surely hope you can cruise again in the future. 

Apologies if I've misunderstood your possible misunderstanding 😁 Your post reads like you inverted Andy's somewhat ...

Standard cancellation - you get cash back, less your deposit and any penalties owing if you cancel inside the 120/180 day window. You lose any vouchers applied to the cancelled cruise. I believe this is the option Andy exercised.

RFG - you get only vouchers back, no cash, but they will return any vouchers used to pay for the cruise. Andy mentioned that Viking was willing to 'segment' his vouchers if he chose this option - but he did not go this route as I understand it.

Hopefully this is not even more confusing! 🍺🥌

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Hopefully this is not even more confusing! 🍺🥌

No...I got it...thanks. 

Just heard from my TA. They came up with a price  a bit closer to what I'm finding on Delta, but the part that makes me nervous is them saying that "early ticketing is subject to approval from the ticketing department and may not be allowed more than 90 days prior to departure.". Another unsettling thing is them saying that "seats are not guaranteed". I realize this can be the case even if booking with the airline, although I can't recall ever having a pre-booked seat changed once done directly on either the airline's website or expedia. I still don't understand exactly how the cruise line manages to obtain seats on a plane if they can't guarantee it (or even ticket it) until 60-90 days before departure. Certainly less of a potential issue when we're talking about a choice of hundreds of economy / main cabin seats, but not quite the same for the only 20-25 business seats. What happens if people get on the airline website and book (at least what appear to be) open seats - some of which the cruise line intended to use. So far, noone here on CC has been able to explain exactly how this works. I still contend that this is why planes wind up being oversold, though I realize the airlines do this intentionally, banking on a certain % of people canceling. But then what do they gain if they wind up forking out 5 figures to passengers to give up their seats? Playing the percentages, much like forms of gambling!  

My agent is referring to an advantage being that if I book the flights through Viking they are "covered". I assume she means that they would be part of risk free guarantee (if so chosen) or else the money returned if canceled within the allowable timeframe. Otherwise, you really can't "insure" flight costs as part of a trip cancellation policy being that the airline automatically issues credit for a canceled flight and thus the flight costs don't qualify as "non-refundable" expenditures. 

The way I view it, paying the premium for refundable airline tickets is essentially like buying a form of "cancel for any reason" insurance. Once again, the airline plays the percentages in that most people who hold a refundable ticket will likely go ahead and keep their flights, so the airline simply pockets the extra 15% above regular ticket price. Although I've read about people deliberately requesting a refund if a better price or flight itinerary comes along. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 8/7/2022 at 2:25 PM, TERRIER1 said:

I believe my friend just paid $75. She booked her own airfare but to  use the Viking transfer you need to come in the day of embarkation. 

I don't believe that is accurate, because if you booked a pre-extension, they meet you at the airport when you fly in, move your you and your bags to the hotel; then on the day of embarkation they pick you up and transfer you and your bags to the ship.

I have always booked my own air but at the time we booked our ocean/ river combo,  Viking was doing free air for river cruises, so we were promised 30% discount on our round trip.   We confirmed price up for Premium economy at that time. Now, within air time frame I called to officially add air, paid for air plus and deviation.  Then , as instructed,  called Air Department who was very helpful in booking us on my pre-selected flights (or finding a good alternative). However,  even 9 months in advance,  many flights showed Premium economy unavailable (per Air Department gutpy, because Viking doesn't contract many!)  But finally all booked but had to go to BA to get seats. Well....no one at Viking told me that even though we paid Air plus to book early,  Viking doesn't actually TICKET until 90 days out! So can't get seats.  So, decided to see what I could do on my own.  Reserved exactly same flights  for $1000 LESS  than my supposed 30% discount fare thru Viking.  (Due to their "contract " with the airline!!)  So I ended up canceling my Viking Air, got my $ back and booked direct.   Yes, bait and switch in my mind.

13 hours ago, longterm said:

I don't believe that is accurate, because if you booked a pre-extension, they meet you at the airport when you fly in, move your you and your bags to the hotel; then on the day of embarkation they pick you up and transfer you and your bags to the ship.

That is correct but they didn't have a pre-extension. They came in the day of the cruise.

On 8/7/2022 at 3:45 PM, OnTheJourney said:

We have the pre and post extensions...so if I'm going independent flight booking, do I have to arrange all those transfers with Viking?

As long as you arrive at the airport on Day 1 of your Viking package and/or depart Day Last, you can buy transfers; these are the only days that Viking offers transfers. Transfers are sold individually, so you buy just for arrival or just for departure.

If you arrive early or stay late, you have to arrange your own transfers.

My TA was just given some odd info (at least it seemed very odd to both of us) when she called Viking yesterday.  This is my 3rd Viking cruise and we did 1 with Viking air and one we booked our own (with a $49 Viking transfer).

I have my deposit in for January 3 Treasure/Antiquities cruise.  My TA contacted Viking yesterday to start arranging my flights and the Air Rep told her that I cant select flights until 2 months out. She reasked the question a few ways and had him repeat that because it just seemed so incorrect.   Even MVJ says the lights would be posted in October, but I have Air Plus and I know for my last cruise we had flights and seats set over 6 months pre-cruise.  

TA plans to call again today to speak with someone else.  Has anyone else heard anything like this?

6 minutes ago, mariavii said:

Has anyone else heard anything like this?

We have Med. Antiquities cruise on Feb. 17 with a pre-cruise extension in Athens, so flights needed on Feb. 14.  When my TA first called, they said no booking until October.  So, I called and said I wasn’t going to pay the final payment if I didn’t have flights.  So the Viking Air + person told me what I had been assigned (they do placeholder flights right away) and I said those flights weren’t acceptable.  I asked for some others and they were not available to Viking.  I had My TA call again the next week, and she got the exact flights I had asked for.  And that was about three weeks ago.  So yes, I think you can get flights now for a January cruise.  I think you just have to be persistent!  Good luck.

2 hours ago, mariavii said:

My TA was just given some odd info (at least it seemed very odd to both of us) when she called Viking yesterday.  This is my 3rd Viking cruise and we did 1 with Viking air and one we booked our own (with a $49 Viking transfer).

I have my deposit in for January 3 Treasure/Antiquities cruise.  My TA contacted Viking yesterday to start arranging my flights and the Air Rep told her that I cant select flights until 2 months out. She reasked the question a few ways and had him repeat that because it just seemed so incorrect.   Even MVJ says the lights would be posted in October, but I have Air Plus and I know for my last cruise we had flights and seats set over 6 months pre-cruise.  

TA plans to call again today to speak with someone else.  Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Due to volume of changes in the airline industry, Viking are suggesting that they only deal with air reservations within 2 months of departure.

I suggest having your TA call back repeatedly until you get a representative that will get you flights booked.

• Like 1

Just my experience with Viking Air and Viking transfers: We just returned from the Iceland Majestic Landscapes cruise.

We had Viking post extension from Bergen to Oslo, followed by our own independent extension to visit family in Prague.  Since Viking couldn't get me to Prague, I bought my own plane tickets from Oslo to Prague via Amsterdam.  Because we were not flying on a Viking flight, we couldn't use Viking transfer.  That was not a big deal, as we just took an express train from the train station situated next to the hotel directly to the airport.  The train was inexpensive and faster than the Viking transfer by bus.

From Prague to Los Angeles we used flights provided by Viking.  The flights were by Austrian Airlines (that I knew nothing about) via Vienna with only 55 minutes between the flights.  That made me a little nervous, but we had the Viking emergency number in case of air travel issues, and at the end we had no problem catching the second flight from VIE to LAX.  At the current state of affairs, you just never know if the airlines can adhere to their schedules.

We arrived at LAX on time, together with all our luggage.  That didn't happen on the flight that I arranged myself, even with ample time for the transfer in Amsterdam.  One of our suitcases didn't make it to Prague with us, but was delivered by KLM the next day to my brother's house.

I reserved aisle seats on all our flights ahead of time directly with the airlines.  That included the flights provided by Viking.  We were flying standard economy and despite being quite tall (my husband is 6"3" and I am 5"10", but with longer legs), the flights were O.K.  I checked the seating online and on the 12 hour flight to LAX, I found aisle seats in a two seat arrangement behind three seats, giving us room to stretch our legs.  I don't know if it is harder to reserve business class seats.

In summary, we were happy with the flights arranged by Viking, and can live with the Viking transfer policy.

Two months out, Viking couldn't get me into Budapest before 7:PM. They couldn't get me in the day before either. On the way back to Los Angeles, I had a connection in Detroit. Despite what I saw on internet, they have contractual agreements. So, I learned, either book earlier and get a better flight, or take a deal and get whatever they give you.

Success (sort of) with the Air...  My TA called her regular non-Air number yesterday just to verify Air vis a vis final payment/air plus payments and when they are due.  The guy was super helpful and, of course, verified everything we all already know about booking flights.  He also told her how best to get through the automated menus.  After another extremely frustrating conversation with the Air folks (who 'surprisingly' had no issue booking my flights - although they insisted the flights my TA had were Air Canada even though they were non-code share Lufthansa flights) she was told we may see the itinerary on MVJ in two weeks or so as it had to go through the airline etc etc.  Again my TA was perplexed by that - she typically receives the flight details via email soon after she makes the reservation w Viking Air.  

She hung up and figured she'd try again today - she obviously wanted to see the itinerary to make sure it was correct.  But not 5 min after the call ended, the new itinerary was emailed to both my TA and me.

There is a question here.... How long should it be for the flights to show up on MVJ so I can try to change seats? 

3 minutes ago, mariavii said:

How long should it be for the flights to show up on MVJ so I can try to change seats? 

In the Air section of MVJ, up at the top in a red box, it tells me the date my itinerary will appear.  Like you, I already have an email showing my flights and seats.  But also, I am able to use the conformation number / booking number provided on the email and go into the airline website and change my seats, both on United and on Lufthansa.  

Just now, SantaFe1 said:

In the Air section of MVJ, up at the top in a red box, it tells me the date my itinerary will appear.  Like you, I already have an email showing my flights and seats.  But also, I am able to use the conformation number / booking number provided on the email and go into the airline website and change my seats, both on United and on Lufthansa.  

My red box says October 5, but the Booking Summary page says October 20.  I tried to go via Lufthansa site but it wouldn't let me make any changes because it was done "on a different booking platform."

Urg.  I foresee another call to VAir, and a very nice gift for my TA/Mom. 😉