Passover Seder onboard question

yogagal47

We are booked on the Onward April 2024 Singapore to Dubai Cruise. Just wondering if anyone booked on this segment or the World Cruise has expressed any interest in observing the first night seder onboard? Also wondering if this has come up for anyone on any previous cruise. We are asking for friends of ours who are interested in joining us but wish to observe the Passover Seder. Thanks for any input. Julie in Denver

I saw a sign up sheet on Quest this April if guests wanted to join this. It was held in the Library. Unfortunately on Onward they’ve changed that room into a revenue generating bar so not sure how onward would be handling events like this in the future  

10 hours ago, uktog said:

I saw a sign up sheet on Quest this April if guests wanted to join this. It was held in the Library. Unfortunately on Onward they’ve changed that room into a revenue generating bar so not sure how onward would be handling events like this in the future  

By "this" you mean an offering for an onboard Passover Seder?  Thanks for your reply!

3 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

By "this" you mean an offering for an onboard Passover Seder?  Thanks for your reply!

This I was meaning was  this April eg April :2022 and the sign up sheet was for Passover Seder 

• Like 1

Thanks! My travel agent contacted her Azamara rep and they are reaching out to the appropriate people to see if they can get any confirmation that it would be offered Well though with it being so far away I kind of doubt it

Apparently the answer(from a Marie Nelson Team Lead AZ Reservation and Client Services) was this:

The Religious services we have available onboard are, 

Priests are available for Easter and Christmas.

Rabbis are available for Passover and Hanukkah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogagal47 said:

Apparently the answer(from a Marie Nelson Team Lead AZ Reservation and Client Services) was this:

The Religious services we have available onboard are, 

Priests are available for Easter and Christmas.

Rabbis are available for Passover and Hanukkah.

I find the choice of Jewish holidays that they celebrate interesting and shows that Azamara does not have a great knowledge of Judaism.  The holiday of Passover is a major holiday at the same level as the Christian holidays of Easter and Christmas.  Hanukkah in a religious sense is just a festival and does not have major religious significance.

This from Wikipedia -

"Originally instituted as a feast "in the manner of Sukkot (Booths)", it does not come with the corresponding obligations, and is therefore a relatively minor holiday in strictly religious terms. Nevertheless, Hanukkah has attained major cultural significance in North America and elsewhere, especially among secular Jews, due to often occurring around the same time as Christmas during the holiday season"

DON

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Azamara does not have a great knowledge of Judaism. 

They don't have a great knowledge of Roman Catholicism either – nor would I expect them to. They do seem to have a great knowledge of their customers.  Even many non-observant Catholics go to Mass on Christmas and Easter (our churches are definitely fuller then), and the Wikipedia article you quoted confirms what I see among friends and colleagues that the same is true for non-observant Jews regarding Passover and Hanukkah.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They don't have a great knowledge of Roman Catholicism either – nor would I expect them to. They do seem to have a great knowledge of their customers.  Even many non-observant Catholics go to Mass on Christmas and Easter (our churches are definitely fuller then), and the Wikipedia article you quoted confirms what I see among friends and colleagues that the same is true for non-observant Jews regarding Passover and Hanukkah.

For Chanukah celebrations Jewish people generally celebrate with a festive meal including candle lighting and games. We do not usually go to synagogue for this holiday, hence a Rabbi is not necessary for observance of this holiday.

In March 2022, we sailed on Quest in the Caribbean.  There was a Purim party, complete with music and costumes,  organized by the charming and energetic head of security.  The party was announced in the daily program and was open to all. Ryszard, the Hotel Director, attended along with at least two other officers. The chef even to make hamentashen.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

A Rabbi isn’t necessary for Passover Seder either, but it’s nice to have someone to lead it. 

I may be wrong on this and it would depend upon which branch of Judaism you belong to but I don't think that a Rabbi is necessary for any service in the Jewish liturgy.  The literal meaning of the word "Rabbi" is learned person.

DON

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tgg said:

In March 2022, we sailed on Quest in the Caribbean.  There was a Purim party, complete with music and costumes,  organized by the charming and energetic head of security.  The party was announced in the daily program and was open to all. Ryszard, the Hotel Director, attended along with at least two other officers. The chef even to make hamentashen.

I'm guessing that was Doron?  What a great guy he is. I've been to Shabbat services he's run. Fun with a capital F!

Phil 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I may be wrong on this and it would depend upon which branch of Judaism you belong to but I don't think that a Rabbi is necessary for any service in the Jewish liturgy.  The literal meaning of the word "Rabbi" is learned person.

DON

Married and buried, otherwise, I don’t think a Rabbi is required. 

9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I find the choice of Jewish holidays that they celebrate interesting and shows that Azamara does not have a great knowledge of Judaism.  The holiday of Passover is a major holiday at the same level as the Christian holidays of Easter and Christmas.  Hanukkah in a religious sense is just a festival and does not have major religious significance.

I think their choices are reasonable. The holidays which "outrank" Hanukkah (e.g. Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot) are not ones where strictly observant Jews will be cruising. Passover is a bit of an exception - lots of travel, but it would be surprising if Azamara has Kosher for Passover dining. There's probably a sizable number of Jews for whom that would not be an issue, but still would like to participate in a Seder.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 4:19 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm guessing that was Doron?  What a great guy he is. I've been to Shabbat services he's run. Fun with a capital F!

Phil 

I met him on The Quest also.He led the service ,and had a great voice.

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2022 at 7:22 PM, asnaleah said:

I have a friend who is a Rabbi/Cantor. I will find out which cruise line, but he was hired to lead a Passover Seder on board. Could have been Azamara.

Ive seen notices that mention Jewish services being passenger led.  I assumed that was because there were no clergy onboard. 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

26 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Ive seen notices that mention Jewish services being passenger led.  I assumed that was because there were no clergy onboard. 

One thing that should be noted is that unlike most of the Christian religions, a Rabbi is not necessary to conduct services.  A Rabbi is basically a learned man or woman who has the knowledge to conduct services.  There is not overriding leadership that authorizes him or her to conduct them.  In our synagogue we have several lay members who conduct the services when the Rabbi is not available.

DON

• Like 3