Azamara Drops Pre-cruise Testing as of July 25, 2022

uktog

After 2.5 years of no vacations I was looking forward to my second Azamara sailing but just canceled it. I’m immunocompromised and fully vaccinated and even though it’s no guarantee of not coming down with Covid flying into the port, I’m hesitant to be on a small ship for 10 days without pre-boarding testing, which was a requirement when I booked. I worry most about long-Covid symptoms on top of my AI condition.

I’ll just hope for another chance next year and will do something closer to home. Maybe a rental on the beach on the East coast. 

I sincerely hope all of you your cruise and stay negative throughout your journied. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Zoey said:

After 2.5 years of no vacations I was looking forward to my second Azamara sailing but just canceled it. I’m immunocompromised and fully vaccinated and even though it’s no guarantee of not coming down with Covid flying into the port, I’m hesitant to be on a small ship for 10 days without pre-boarding testing, which was a requirement when I booked. I worry most about long-Covid symptoms on top of my AI condition.

I’ll just hope for another chance next year and will do something closer to home. Maybe a rental on the beach on the East coast. 

I sincerely hope all of you your cruise and stay negative throughout your journied. 

That's a shame. I don't feel the same perceived health risk from catching Covid that you do- I had it recently, it was quite mild and I feel it's unlikely to be worse in future infections- but I share your concern at dropping pre cruise testing, especially as there appears to be no evidence on its effectiveness (or lack of it) so we simply don't know whether or not it will lead to more onboard infections.

For me, it's about the current onboard protocols which I regard as draconian. To potentially increase the risk of those being imposed on me without a corresponding reduction in the consequences (as much as 2 weeks isolated alone in a small cabin with no outside air) strikes me as outsourcing too much risk to me, hence I'm also considering cancelling. If they are going to 'normalise' pre cruise to match land based guidelines, then the same should apply onboard, where the protocol in place is way in excess of current guidelines, for example from CDC.

On the upside, like you, I've cut back on foreign travel during Covid (albeit not to the extent you have) and the silver lining to that is I have discovered great places much closer to my doro, here in the UK. Oh and of course it is cheaper, and less hassle, if you don't have to struggle through airports, especially right now.

• Like 1

We were on the Onward last month. On the last full day, we were having lunch at the Patio. We struck up a conversation with 2 ladies at the next table (sisters, in their 70s). They asked us to join them to finish our drinks. We had very enjoyable conversation. Turns out, they had been isolated and it was their first day out. They remained in their cabin (with balcony) and said they were well looked after. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kent4489 said:

We were on the Onward last month. On the last full day, we were having lunch at the Patio. We struck up a conversation with 2 ladies at the next table (sisters, in their 70s). They asked us to join them to finish our drinks. We had very enjoyable conversation. Turns out, they had been isolated and it was their first day out. They remained in their cabin (with balcony) and said they were well looked after. 

That's a step in the right direction. Hopefully they can continue to move onboard processes closer to onshore protocols.

On 7/22/2022 at 8:53 PM, sbg42 said:

Really bad news. Just as a precaution I went and got tested this am. 

RESULTS.  I HAVE COVID!!  
So I just got off phone attempting to cancel everything. 
please let me know how the cruise goes

Sheila

I feel your pain. We had to cancel the first of our back to back due to my getting Covid. Made the second one barely as despite a lite case I tested positive for two weeks! 

It would be helpful if Azamara updated their cruise documents to reflect the fact that they no longer require pre-cruise testing. Our documents for our cruise became available today and still mention that pre cruise testing is required. Very frustrating that they are not accurate.

37 minutes ago, Mrs.Dukes said:

It would be helpful if Azamara updated their cruise documents to reflect the fact that they no longer require pre-cruise testing. Our documents for our cruise became available today and still mention that pre cruise testing is required. Very frustrating that they are not accurate.

Be careful, I gather while Europe is mostly no pre testing, there was some confusion about some ports like Athens which might still need it and certainly outside Europe (other than the US) it is my understanding that pre cruise testing is still mandatory in many places.

Best check with your TA or with Viking, I believe it all depends on your cruise's embarkation point.

14 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

Be careful, I gather while Europe is mostly no pre testing, there was some confusion about some ports like Athens which might still need it and certainly outside Europe (other than the US) it is my understanding that pre cruise testing is still mandatory in many places.

Best check with your TA or with Viking, I believe it all depends on your cruise's embarkation point.

Yes, that is true, some embarkation ports do require testing. We are leaving from Copenhagen, which does not.

Dubai is still on their list for pre boarding testing but Dubai does not require any testing for cruises.  Emailed Azamara but just got an email back saying the situation is changing regularly, no answer as to why it was still on the list 😔

10 hours ago, Mrs.Dukes said:

Azamara makes it quite clear on their Travel Advisory page that although the cruise line no longer requires pre-cruise testing, there are a number of ports around the world where the port/country does still require testing before you board :

https://www.azamara.com/en-au/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea?ecid=em_22920769&rid=342052472&emsc=AZAUSA_LT_LCVV3ALLMKTSEM0119_LCV&emct=D&lnkid=https%3A//www.azamara.com/travel-advisory

I'm currently on an SAS flight to Europe.  Their website warned us to bring our own masks, and that we would be required to change them to new ones after 4 hours.  HELLO!  Nobody on the plane [passengers or crew] are wearing masks!  So Azamara is not the only one with communications issues.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Azamara makes it quite clear on their Travel Advisory page that although the cruise line no longer requires pre-cruise testing, there are a number of ports around the world where the port/country does still require testing before you board :

https://www.azamara.com/en-au/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea?ecid=em_22920769&rid=342052472&emsc=AZAUSA_LT_LCVV3ALLMKTSEM0119_LCV&emct=D&lnkid=https%3A//www.azamara.com/travel-advisory

But Dubai does not require pre cruise testing they dropped the requirement last April.  Azamara continued testing because the CDC still had it as a requirement for American cruise lines to operate.  Their list is incorrect.

13 hours ago, Miss Bid said:

But Dubai does not require pre cruise testing they dropped the requirement last April.  Azamara continued testing because the CDC still had it as a requirement for American cruise lines to operate.  Their list is incorrect.

I stand corrected :

https://cruise-arabia.com/2022/03/02/dubai-loosens-covid-19-restrictions-what-it-means-for-cruise-tourists/

On 7/26/2022 at 6:36 AM, Mrs.Dukes said:

It is still required for boarding in Greece,

It is one thing for an airline or cruise line to do away with pre-boarding testing, but, there are a number of countries / ports that still require testing, regardless of the carrier's own requirements.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2022 at 1:12 AM, Baynanno1 said:

Do the yes/no in this list mean that a preboarding test is required eg Athens?

What about arriving in Dubai on Quest?

3 hours ago, Lookyboy said:

As you will be onboard, Azamara will arrange whatever is required. Not your problem, so relax. 🙂

14 hours ago, Lookyboy said:

I believe at this point in time a pre-boarding test in Athens (Piraeus) is still required.

But nobody knows whether that will still be the case tomorrow, next week or next month.

Dubai is a different matter, as you would have seen had you looked at the link in post #64 above.

8 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

I believe at this point in time a pre-boarding test in Athens (Piraeus) is still required.

But nobody knows whether that will still be the case tomorrow, next week or next month.

Dubai is a different matter, as you would have seen had you looked at the link in post #64 above.

That is the very info we don't understand, so I asked the question for someone  to kindly explain what it meant.

Are the YES and NO in relation to vaccines and testing.  What is FDA?

Sorry to be asking again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 8:56 AM, Zoey said:

Im worried about long COVID too.   It isn’t clear to me that there won’t be testing because some of our ports at least mention COVID restrictions.

if you haven’t been on a full Azamara ship it often feels like it really isn’t that full.  Yes the buffet can feel crowded when everyone comes back from a tour but I really don’t recall lines except boarding after an Azamazing evening.  In fact I’m not used to see other people in the elevator with me, but I’m sure that depends on the cruise.  

Take care of yourself, for sure!  

On 7/26/2022 at 3:56 PM, Miss Bid said:

Dubai is still on their list for pre boarding testing but Dubai does not require any testing for cruises.  Emailed Azamara but just got an email back saying the situation is changing regularly, no answer as to why it was still on the list 😔

There are several countries, or were where you could enter the country without a test but had to be tested to cruise.  In May Italy was one of those and they also required they ship require masks indoors even though all but the largest venue, think sports event, no longer required masking indoors.