Taormina from Messina transportation

paulh84

We are looking at visiting Taormina on upcoming cruise. I have been to the area before, although not to Taormina itself, and think we would be fine skipping a guided tour. I have inquired with two tour/transfer companies but I haven't seen much info about the public taxis. I've read they are readily available and sometimes aggressively want to offer a ride from the Messina port to Taormina, but what about the return trip? Do they typically wait for you or are you on your own to find another taxi back? I would like to have at least 3 to 4 hours for sightseeing and lunch, but would also like the option to head back to Messina earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking into Taormina as well.  It would be from Messina.

It could be on our own, as you have mentioned,  but could be on a 4 1/2 hour ship's excursion.

If we go the excursion route, it allows us 2 1/2 in town.  We want to see the ancient theater, and looking at google maps, it appears to be across a main hwy from where the buses drop you. 

My question is, is 2 1/2 hours enough time to walk to the ancient theater, see it, and get back?  Would we have time left for the city area nearest where the bus drops us?

Edited by 2Oregonians

I don't know where the cruise line buses drop off but the public bus, Interbus, leaves you an easy 1 km/six-tenths of a mile from the greek theatre.  The bus depot is located at Terminal Interbus Taormina, Via Luigi Pirandello, 98039 Taormina ME, Italy.

The start of the bus line is at Piazza della Repubblica in Messina, 750 meters/one half mile on foot from the cruise port.

The direct bus takes 50 minutes and costs euro 4,30.

Interbus - Viaggi in autobus in Sicilia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just my experience: we walked from our ship to the bus station/railway station. Bus already left and no train connections etc that fitted.  Walked back in the direction of the ship with 3 other disappointed cruise passengers and we saw a taxi, just standing there at the curb. He offered transportation to Taormina and back for a very reasonable price (compared to the sometimes crazy prices asked by taxi drivers at the cruise terminal).  Payable upon return; who would expect that in Messina....  Great explanations by the driver on our way to and from Taormina. He dropped us at the porch to the center of Taormina and waited for us at the agreed time and place. Lesson learned: sometimes you are lucky missing a bus or train 😉 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 12:51 PM, paulh84 said:

We are looking at visiting Taormina on upcoming cruise. I have been to the area before, although not to Taormina itself, and think we would be fine skipping a guided tour. I have inquired with two tour/transfer companies but I haven't seen much info about the public taxis. I've read they are readily available and sometimes aggressively want to offer a ride from the Messina port to Taormina, but what about the return trip? Do they typically wait for you or are you on your own to find another taxi back? I would like to have at least 3 to 4 hours for sightseeing and lunch, but would also like the option to head back to Messina earlier.

We booked a van with Sicily Taxi Service for 6 of us to go from the Port to Taormina and return.  They were fair in pricing.  We didn't want a "tour"  since this will be our 2nd visit.  We just wanted the ride into Taormina.  They were quick to respond and let me set my times for pick up and return.

On 8/19/2022 at 11:23 AM, Tbird58 said:

We booked a van with Sicily Taxi Service for 6 of us to go from the Port to Taormina and return.  They were fair in pricing.  We didn't want a "tour"  since this will be our 2nd visit.  We just wanted the ride into Taormina.  They were quick to respond and let me set my times for pick up and return.

I ended up booking a car service too. MSC Seaview is in port an hour before Reflection arrives which may make the train and bus more crowded than I would rather deal with. 

On 8/19/2022 at 9:23 AM, Tbird58 said:

How much was it, may I ask?

On 8/5/2022 at 7:36 PM, euro cruiser said:

I don't know where the cruise line buses drop off but the public bus, Interbus, leaves you an easy 1 km/six-tenths of a mile from the greek theatre.  The bus depot is located at Terminal Interbus Taormina, Via Luigi Pirandello, 98039 Taormina ME, Italy.

The start of the bus line is at Piazza della Repubblica in Messina, 750 meters/one half mile on foot from the cruise port.

The direct bus takes 50 minutes and costs euro 4,30.

Interbus - Viaggi in autobus in Sicilia

Excellent info .. thank you so much! 

22 hours ago, 2Oregonians said:

How much was it, may I ask?

Yes, we're paying 280. EUR for 6 people.  That's just for the driver, van & round trip from port to Taormina.  We didn't want a "full tour" - just the transportation.  They quoted me prices for 2 - 4 - 6 people.  Very responsive. 

• Thanks 1