History Channel - Colosseum

CCJack

• 3 weeks later...

It's been showing in the US on the History Channel. I understand there are 8 episodes in total but I think it's divided into two seasons of 4 (I could be wrong; we'll see what happens this week....)

And yes, it is fairly well done. Based on actual written accounts from the period as well as on recent archaeology. 

I can go to the History channel website and stream the episodes once they've been shown on TV. Not sure if that's allowed outside the US but worth a try -- here's the website:   https://www.history.com/shows/colosseum

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I understand there are 8 episodes in total but I think it's divided into two seasons of 4 (I could be wrong; we'll see what happens this week....)

The schedule shown on the History Channel's web site shows episode 5, "The Martyr", premiering on Sunday August 14 at 9 PM, followed by "The Scientist" on Sunday August 21.  That's as far as the schedule goes at this point.

HISTORY TV Schedule | HISTORY Channel

IMDB goes one step further, listing "The Emperor" on Sunday August 28.

Colosseum - Season 1 - IMDb

For those interested in the topic, the Colosseum was built by the Imperial family known as the Flavians -- these were the first emperors that were not related in some way to the Julian or Claudian emperors (e.g., Augustus through Nero).  The Flavian dynasty had a lot to prove, since they had no real claim to the throne, hence their genius idea of building the Colosseum to please "the people" of Rome.

If you will be visiting Rome between now and early next year, there is a new temporary show at the Capitoline Museums about Domitian, the third (and last) Flavian emperor, after his father (Vespasian) and then older brother (Titus).  The first two were reckoned good emperors but Domitian was a bit....controversial. 

This looks like a really nice exhibit featuring pieces that have been pulled from most of the key museums in Europe with Roman holdings. I look forward to seeing it in October or November (oh joy, I will be in Rome twice within two months).

https://museicapitolini.org/en/node/1011288

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

For those interested in the topic, the Colosseum was built by the Imperial family known as the Flavians -- these were the first emperors that were not related in some way to the Julian or Claudian emperors (e.g., Augustus through Nero).  The Flavian dynasty had a lot to prove, since they had no real claim to the throne, hence their genius idea of building the Colosseum to please "the people" of Rome.

If you will be visiting Rome between now and early next year, there is a new temporary show at the Capitoline Museums about Domitian, the third (and last) Flavian emperor, after his father (Vespasian) and then older brother (Titus).  The first two were reckoned good emperors but Domitian was a bit....controversial. 

This looks like a really nice exhibit featuring pieces that have been pulled from most of the key museums in Europe with Roman holdings. I look forward to seeing it in October or November (oh joy, I will be in Rome twice within two months).

https://museicapitolini.org/en/node/1011288

I am adding this to my agenda for my November trip to Rome. 

Like so many here I really value your guidance.  A while back ago you mentioned the Arab-Norman churches at Monreale in Palermo.  Based on your recommendation I looked it up and made a point of getting there on my trip in June.  A true joy!  Thank you for always sharing your knowledge.

A couple of my photos ....IMG_3869.thumb.jpeg.90c0ec87d3992bd258eaf5f6c16f9bf2.jpeg

IMG_3862.jpeg

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 1

If you haven't already seen them, it might be nice on the same visit to have a look at the remains of the "stadium of Domitian" which are found immediately behind and under Piazza Navona. In fact, Piazza Navona's long oval shape is due to the fact that it was the actual stadium. On the northern short end of the Piazza, walk around to the back of the buildings that front the piazza and you'll see some windows with bars that allow you to look down and see the remains of the supports for the seats.

You can also pay a small fee and enter the underground area where the ruins are. The entrance is through a small doorway that actually opens onto Piazza Navona. In the past the hours have been somewhat erratic, though. This video shows you how to find it:

• Like 1

DW got me into this series and would agree it is very interesting and well done.  I do have some questions as to the historical accuracy, but for now, will take the series at face value.  

Hank

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

DW got me into this series and would agree it is very interesting and well done.  I do have some questions as to the historical accuracy, but for now, will take the series at face value.  

Hank

Roman history is often stranger than fiction. From what I know and have read, this show is more accurate than many I've seen.  We know, for example, about the two gladiators who fought to a draw by a surviving text written by Martial. We know that there were women gladiators -- not common, but they existed -- primarily due to writings criticizing the practice.

As to the mechanics of the arena, you should take the time on one of your cruises to visit the amphitheatre at Pozzuoli (if you haven't already) -- you can see there much more clearly than at the Colosseum all of the underground "works" including pulleys and trap doors.

Oh and yes, it's true that gladiators were referred to as "barley men" or "hordearii" (confirmed by no less than Pliny the Elder, the one who died investigating the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, and Galen the famous physician and anatomist).

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Roman history is often stranger than fiction. From what I know and have read, this show is more accurate than many I've seen.  We know, for example, about the two gladiators who fought to a draw by a surviving text written by Martial. We know that there were women gladiators -- not common, but they existed -- primarily due to writings criticizing the practice.

As to the mechanics of the arena, you should take the time on one of your cruises to visit the amphitheatre at Pozzuoli (if you haven't already) -- you can see there much more clearly than at the Colosseum all of the underground "works" including pulleys and trap doors.

Oh and yes, it's true that gladiators were referred to as "barley men" or "hordearii" (confirmed by no less than Pliny the Elder, the one who died investigating the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, and Galen the famous physician and anatomist).

Your knowledge of this historical stuff continues to amaze.  I read your post to DW (who was clicking away oh her iPhone) since we have never been to Pozzuoli or (I am being very honest) even heard of the place.  DW's reaction was, "the next time we are in Naples we have something new to do!"   One interesting thing (to me) about the current TV series is when they did talk about the other arenas (like Pozzuoli) scattered around Italy that were almost like the minor league stadiums of today.  Very interesting the the gladiators worked their way to the the big show in 'Rome.  And no way would I want to mess with those lady gladiators :).

Hank

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you haven't already seen them, it might be nice on the same visit to have a look at the remains of the "stadium of Domitian" which are found immediately behind and under Piazza Navona. In fact, Piazza Navona's long oval shape is due to the fact that it was the actual stadium. On the northern short end of the Piazza, walk around to the back of the buildings that front the piazza and you'll see some windows with bars that allow you to look down and see the remains of the supports for the seats.

You can also pay a small fee and enter the underground area where the ruins are. The entrance is through a small doorway that actually opens onto Piazza Navona. In the past the hours have been somewhat erratic, though. This video shows you how to find it:

Very interesting info (and video!)

We’ll search it out when we go in October. Is it safe to guess this would be close to Hotel Navona?

5 minutes ago, IndyCapt said:

Very interesting info (and video!)

We’ll search it out when we go in October. Is it safe to guess this would be close to Hotel Navona?

Yes, indeed. You only have to walk two short blocks from the hotel to reach Piazza Navona. You'll be at the southern end of it. Walk the length of the piazza (passing the two beautiful fountains) until you reach the north end, much as the guide in the video does, where the door is.  (And as I mentioned, you can walk around the back of these buildings and look down into the area for free -- but of course you'll see more if you go inside....)

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, indeed. You only have to walk two short blocks from the hotel to reach Piazza Navona. You'll be at the southern end of it. Walk the length of the piazza (passing the two beautiful fountains) until you reach the north end, much as the guide in the video does, where the door is.  (And as I mentioned, you can walk around the back of these buildings and look down into the area for free -- but of course you'll see more if you go inside....)

Thanks so much! As always, your insight on these boards are most helpful. 

• Thanks 1