Taranto Italy

lorrdean

Taranto has one of the most important archeological museums in Italy, housing the largest collection of Greek terracotta figurines in the world.  

museotaranto.beniculturali.it

There is also the San Cataldo cathedral:  Basilica Cattedrale San Cataldo di Taranto – La cattedrale di San Cataldo è la più antica cattedrale pugliese, inizialmente dedicata a santa Maria Maddalena poi a san Cataldo vescovo. Fu costruita ad opera dei bizantini nella seconda metà del X secolo. (cattedraletaranto.com)

There is also the Castello Aragonese:  Castello Aragonese Taranto - Marina Militare Italiana

We stopped in Taranto on a driving trip going from Ostuni to Calabria, it was okay but not a place I'd be dying to return to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lorrdean said:

thanks very much, euro cruiser and benny bear, those photos are stunning

You’re most welcome, I find it helps with planning to have some idea of what one might see. Have a great cruise! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are also visiting, (probably on the same cruise, which starts 6th Oct fr Malta.

I also appreciate the pictures and information provided here, so thanks very much to those who provided them 🙂

I have also looked at Taranto on Google Earth and it appears to be an interesting old town/city, which looks a great place to wander around for a few hours, having a couple of drink stops and possibly something light to eat.  We are looking forward to it.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

An hour away is the Grotte di Castellana which looks interesting.  It can be combined with a tour of the round houses in Alberobello, or the Old Town in Ostuni.  Am hoping to find someone who has done this day trip on their own.

2 hours ago, merrilyanne said:

An hour away is the Grotte di Castellana which looks interesting.  It can be combined with a tour of the round houses in Alberobello, or the Old Town in Ostuni.  Am hoping to find someone who has done this day trip on their own.

We’ve visited all three on our own on a land trip.  The caves take quite a while, I loved them but my DH left early.  It might be a lot to try and do in one day.  

To do all three is about three hours of driving without stops 

image.thumb.png.523b493809bd707cbe9b87be8fe88f3d.png

Edited by bennybear

Thanks.  I was thinking combining the caves with Alberobella OR Ostuni, but not both.  And we would go cross country to get to Ostuni from the caves or from Alberobello, not go up and along the coast.  Would you say the caves or Ostuni would be more interesting?  I thought the caves would be a change from visiting old towns.

4 hours ago, merrilyanne said:

Thanks.  I was thinking combining the caves with Alberobella OR Ostuni, but not both.  And we would go cross country to get to Ostuni from the caves or from Alberobello, not go up and along the coast.  Would you say the caves or Ostuni would be more interesting?  I thought the caves would be a change from visiting old towns.

I love caves and these are really good ones, well rated by Michelin. Ostuni was nice but Alberobello is more unusual.  

Noci is also a cute town on the way. Have fun! 

Edited by bennybear

• 3 weeks later...