Coral Princess, Newcastle and Eden advice

Due to Princess rescheduling, my b2b2b next week has become a b2b2b2b with visits to Newcastle three times and Eden twice.

I have been to Newcastle on Radiance of the seas a few years back and did a bit of shopping and then went for a nice lunch at a bar on the water front with friends from Newcastle. Any suggestions on things to do at either locations? Will be in Newcastle on a Sunday, Thursday and a Friday. Eden on a Wednesday both times.

I'm travelling with my mum who is active and up for most things.

Thank you in Advance

Well Eden, small fishing town, been there many times, not far from me.

eden-welcome-centre_davidrogersphotography-2874-3.jpg.5e1e744ddeb90eae538de5a40a747c43.jpgeden-welcome-centre_detail_davidrogersphotography-3431-3.jpg.744363ee1049bfc2a6ed2fa936bd0261.jpgeden-welcome-centre_davidrogersphotography-0936-3.jpg.f0810c272b232c8f6715b0e7d3998dae.jpgcentre at dock, few market stalls and food vans at the dock when ships come in. Few fishing boats to look at. You can do the whale watch boat from there. Steep 25 minute walk to town to visit whale museum, a pub, Coles and Iga plus a few stores. 

I suggest you do a ship’s tour as listed on Princess site. Go see Ben Boyd national park, Merimbula, local beaches. To be truthful not a great deal at Eden. 
Probably only half a dozen cabs would be available.

But it is a nice area, great scenery and superb beaches.

Above all, enjoy.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

I will try to help with Newcastle. Sometimes it can be hard to look at things from a visitors perspective when you live and work amongst it all. I have played tourist during a Radiance visit too, and will be doing the upcoming Sunday one on Coral. If all else fails, the port guides at the pier and Queens Wharf might offer up something different.

What I have done before is a long walk around to a few of the attractions, as it isn't something we wouldn't routinely do. If the weather in nice enough, we will do the same again, and the only cost is for whatever food & refreshment we have along the way. So from the Queens Wharf dropoff, we head up the hill past Hunter and King streets to Christchurch Cathedral. If you are into churches, this one is iconic. We just look from the outside, and check out the views back to the port and pick a vantage spot to rest for a bit and look at the ship. From here we might grab an ice cream on Zaara St and pick one of the beaches between Merewether & Nobbys for a sit and/or swim, double back to Fort Scratchley and back to the harbour. A cheap ferry ride over to Stockton and maybe a beer and a bite at the Washtub (General Washington hotel), and a short walk to an awesome side-on view of the ship. Stockton has a bit of that coastal village vibe.

The museum is also an option, a nice harbourfront walk west from Queens Wharf, and there are food options there as well. I believe that general admission at Fort Scratchley and the museum is still free. The art gallery is being rebuilt at present, and the maritime museum has permanently closed.

As far as tours go, the quad biking/tobogganing  on Port Stephens sand hills is pretty well regarded.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 3

Thank you Arxcards/Geoff.

I might try most of what you suggested on the first day, Walk, ice cream, fort and ferry ride, weather permitting.

Maybe do one of the action tours on one of the other days. The good thing about going 3 times is I get to hear off fellow ship mates what was a good day trip after the first stop.

• Like 1

Will be in Newcastle on the Sunday (dept Brisbane 19 Aug)… all we are doing  to do is get down to Westfield Kotora…have a quick look around,..Either catch the bus down..and taxi back to the ship.

I guess that there will be a bus that drops you into town….

my mum won’t want to walk too far.. and I could drive there on a weekend…. Plus there won’t me much open on a Sunday

Edited by shireboi

13 minutes ago, shireboi said:

Will be in Newcastle on the Sunday (dept Brisbane 19 Aug)… all we are doing  to do is get down to Westfield Kotora…have a quick look around,..Either catch the bus down..and taxi back to the ship.

my mum won’t want to walk too far.. and I could drive there on a weekend…. Plus there won’t me much open on a Sunday

Do a ships tour to hunter valley, just going to westfield is boring, more to see in Newcy besides a shopping centre. You have those in Sydney.

• Like 1

The old tram (really a converted bus) does a pretty good tour around Newcastle, the Vineyards are always a popular tour, many enjoy a visit to Fort Scratchley, some enjoy the Cathederal, others like just wandering around the beaches.

I try to avoid cruising to Newcastle because some bugger will want me to work for a couple of hours.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shireboi said:

Yes, they run shuttles from the wharf at Channel Berth around to Queens Wharf. There are buses that run to Westfield Kotara.

True, retail wise, there won't be much open in the city. They usually have some sort of markets on cruise days, but I don't have any confirmed details or location.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

The old tram (really a converted bus) does a pretty good tour around Newcastle, the Vineyards are always a popular tour, many enjoy a visit to Fort Scratchley, some enjoy the Cathederal, others like just wandering around the beaches.

I try to avoid cruising to Newcastle because some bugger will want me to work for a couple of hours.

But then if you do a bit of work, you can do more cruises, lol.

13 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

Thanks everyone.

I googled the fort and that looks worth a visit. Will make sure we are there for the cannon going off.

If you are on deck or your balcony as you come into Port you will see the canon fired, they usually fire for ships coming into the harbour.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

If you are on deck or your balcony as you come into Port you will see the canon fired, they usually fire for ships coming into the harbour.

Can the cannon intercept the Chinese missiles but? lol.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

Thanks everyone.

I googled the fort and that looks worth a visit. Will make sure we are there for the cannon going off.

The tunnel tours are great if they are running them, for a fee.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Too many sleepy people in Newcastle East didn't like this, so you get the gun salute on the way out in the afternoon.

However, the guns are loaded with live rounds for the morning, just in case the ship tries to enter with code red covid status.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, arxcards said:

However, the guns are loaded with live rounds for the morning, just in case the ship tries to enter with code red covid status.

Good to know, I will be ready on deck with my life jacket on! 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Too many sleepy people in Newcastle East didn't like this, so you get the gun salute on the way out in the afternoon.

Or the red missiles are flying south.lol.

• Like 1

I forgot to add re Eden.  The big Fishermans Club top of hill has closed down and being redeveloped for apartments. BUT...2 km north of the town or 3km from the wharf, is the very nice Eden Country Club, golf, bowls, Chinese food and Australian food, adult beverages🍺.  You could also donate via the pokies, lol.

I am sure the Club courtesy bus will be waiting at the wharf for those who wish to visit the club and return them to the ship.

Above all, enjoy !!

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Not sure what days your in Newie, but firings for August are

1D118E03-AFDB-4889-A53F-A909DD6E1ADC.jpeg

They always announce the firings ahead of time, so not to scare anyone. By that,I would guess Coral departs the wharf at 5pm each time. Apart from cruise ships, various armed service anniversaries get a shot too.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I forgot to add re Eden.  The big Fishermans Club top of hill has closed down and being redeveloped for apartments. BUT...2 km north of the town or 3km from the wharf, is the very nice Eden Country Club, golf, bowls, Chinese food and Australian food, adult beverages🍺.  You could also donate via the pokies, lol.

I am sure the Club courtesy bus will be waiting at the wharf for those who wish to visit the club and return them to the ship.

Above all, enjoy !!

Isn't that like getting off a Princess ship to pay for food on a P&O ship? 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One of the more recent changes in Newcastle's CBD is the removal of the heavy rail line between Newcastle & Wickham. The light rail runs up a bit closer to Newcastle Beach with a stop across the road from the cruise shuttle, for anyone not needing the extra steps on their counter. Fares are via NSW Opal card, or single use tickets.

This has started to open-up the harbour to the city. One of the promising areas that is being repurposed in the old Newcastle Station, which in time has real potential to be a hub for cruise day markets and activities. I am not sure they are at that stage yet - https://newcastlestation.com.au/

• Like 2