SYDNEY - QUESTION REGARDING HOW TO GET TO MANLY BEACH FROM WATSONS BAY

On 8/7/2022 at 10:38 AM, Fieldofdreams said:

GUT2407 - Thank you, Watson's Bay it is

Meant to say Manly.... Thank you everyone for weighing in. Really helped in making a decision. Once I pull together our final itinerary I am going to post so everyone can weigh in on what we plan on doing for each port call. Viking Mars Feb 21 - Mar 7 Sydney to Auckland. Thanks again

Don

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Doyle’s is not just a location.  Just the mention transports me to the wonders of a youth spent in Sydney before it evolved to the tourist hub of today.  Doyle’s Watsons Bay, Coogee Bay Hotel, Bronte Charles, and all the surf clubs along that stretch of ethereal magic.  The Gap, that haunting space of tragedy and beauty, with the intuitive dogs alert to desperate lives, and the terrible tales of shipwrecks of another era.  Watsons Bay can fill a lifetime of visits, and Doyle’s has been history’s sentinel.  

Mareblu - If you are not an author/writer she consider being one. Your one paragraph was not only poetic but transportive. Thank you for sharing

Don

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Doyle’s is not just a location.  Just the mention transports me to the wonders of a youth spent in Sydney before it evolved to the tourist hub of today.  Doyle’s Watsons Bay, Coogee Bay Hotel, Bronte Charles, and all the surf clubs along that stretch of ethereal magic.  The Gap, that haunting space of tragedy and beauty, with the intuitive dogs alert to desperate lives, and the terrible tales of shipwrecks of another era.  Watsons Bay can fill a lifetime of visits, and Doyle’s has been history’s sentinel.  

Yes I agree totally, but without Doyle’s I think Manly is better than Watsons Bay and without our emotional connection I’m not sure that Doyle’s is still THE premier seafood place, still a great spot and while I was never a frequent visitor to the city it still moves me.

6 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Mareblu - If you are not an author/writer she consider being one. Your one paragraph was not only poetic but transportive. Thank you for sharing

Don

Thank you, Don.  I have an advantage:  a BA in Professional Writing.  I have a legion of exceptional uni lecturers and tutors who deserve the credit.  Writing is my passion.  

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yes I agree totally, but without Doyle’s I think Manly is better than Watsons Bay and without our emotional connection I’m not sure that Doyle’s is still THE premier seafood place, still a great spot and while I was never a frequent visitor to the city it still moves me.

The restaurant is indeed exceptional;  although menu prices, unfortunately, are reflective of its evolution as an iconic seafood experience.  I was thinking more of the hotel itself, with its rich watering-spot history.  If those walls could only talk…

14 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

The restaurant is indeed exceptional;  although menu prices, unfortunately, are reflective of its evolution as an iconic seafood experience.  I was thinking more of the hotel itself, with its rich watering-spot history.  If those walls could only talk…

Yep I usually opt for Doyle’s at the pub.

• Like 1

Did a few calls to the Gap, when I worked in the Eastern Suburbs, some were saved, many were not.

Doyles used to do a a mid week seniors lunch, for a reasonable price, think it was $25, glass of Doyles plonk and fish and chips, cheap for Doyles, which can be a real tourist rip off.

WBH_LyndenFoss_088-LR.thumb.jpeg.e1040de10fb6f837ce76ef6d00603f23.jpeg

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Did a few calls to the Gap, when I worked in the Eastern Suburbs, some were saved, many were not.

Doyles used to do a a mid week seniors lunch, for a reasonable price, think it was $25, glass of Doyles plonk and fish and chips, cheap for Doyles, which can be a real tourist rip off.

WBH_LyndenFoss_088-LR.thumb.jpeg.e1040de10fb6f837ce76ef6d00603f23.jpeg

Serene image, Les.  I’m not sure if they still do takeaway fish and chips on the pier.  I’m so looking forward to sailing into Sydney Harbour in November;  something I’ve always wanted to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Serene image, Les.  I’m not sure if they still do takeaway fish and chips on the pier.  I’m so looking forward to sailing into Sydney Harbour in November;  something I’ve always wanted to do.

I choose to eat on the pier overlooking the harbour, because I have fish, chips and salad, with two sauces. However, they still did take away fish and chips on the pier when I was last in Sydney prior to Covid.  I'll be in Sydney again in October so I'll check it out.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

If it is shoping and site seeing, then Manly may be best,

That’s true.  Manly has a lot to offer to while away some time, although  last time we were there (just before Covid hit) it had become a little commercial touristy.  Wonderful old Steins pub still there, a Manly institution. Memories linger of  Singapore Slings sipped a lifetime ago.  Manly as a choice offers the benefit of the ferry ride over the waters of beautiful Sydney harbour.  There are ferry rides that will take you from Circular Quay, gliding past The bays and coves of the serenely beautiful eastern suburbs, to Watsons Bay (my choice for its history and ethereal atmosphere).  If you have the time, catch another ride over to Manly, and enjoy all it has to offer.  The bottom line:  Sydney is beautiful.

We had plans to do a longish walk then visit Doyles Fishermans Wharf and get takeaway fish and chips but the reviews are awful. I know not all reviews are genuine but it has certainly put me off. I'm sure there are many better options for a meal.

2 hours ago, Brisbane47 said:

We had plans to do a longish walk then visit Doyles Fishermans Wharf and get takeaway fish and chips but the reviews are awful. I know not all reviews are genuine but it has certainly put me off. I'm sure there are many better options for a meal.

It's many years since we tried Doyles takeaway, and the fare was really good, but a lot can change over time.  If the reviews are consistently awful, then I would be put off too.  It's not so long since we visited Doyle's main Watsons Bay restaurant with friends, and although expensive, the seafood was delicious.  However, I've also read mixed reviews for that restaurant, so I guess it's the experience on the day, and that can change depending on who's in the kitchen at the time.  I think Covid has greatly influenced many eateries.