Accomodation question please??????

Hi Bob,

When I was recently researching hotels near the cruise port, I found Alcyone Hotel Residences which seemed modern and a good price. Looks like there’s a bit around it, too. Would still be a 20 minute car ride to the cruise terminal though.

Cheers,

Brendan

There’s not much close to the BICT. 

The closest would be a pub, the old Pinkenbar Hotel, aka The Pink. It’s been rebranded as Trade Coast Hotel. Apparently rated as 3 star accommodation. 

@Jean C Recently had to find accommodation at short notice when the Coral Princess couldn’t dock due to the bad weather. She stayed at A1 Ibis Budget at the airport for the first night but was much happier when she relocated to the Holiday Inn Express at Wharf Street, Springhill for her second night in Brisbane.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2864919-warning-if-your-about-to-cruise-on-coral/?do=findComment&comment=63613776

(And happier still when she FINALLY boarded the ship! LOL)

YMMV

• Like 1

Hi, my two cents worth. Queenslander (Joyce) stayed at the Pullman near the airport and was very happy there. Accommodation near the airport (which is also close to the port) is in a remote location and there's nothing/next to nothing (covering myself there) as regards eateries around. If you are new to Brisbane and can time things so you have some exploring time (maybe checking in early and leaving your bags with Reception) I would recommend staying in the city, we were delighted with the Holiday Inn Expess. It's about a 15 min walk to Southbank, very quiet rooms and very clean, in fantastic condition, modern and very comfortable. We checked in on a Saturday and out on a Sunday and used taxis so didn't encounter city traffic, maybe something to consider if you don't have a car.

• Like 1

Check out Airolodge International at Hamilton.   Walk across road to Portside Wharf which has an abundance of cafes,  bars,  movie theatre etc.  You could pick up a room for about $120.  You can catch taxi or shuttle (Conn-X-ion) from airport.   It is possible the motel would have available a shuttle to the NEW ship terminal, but check first.  They previously had one to the old Portside terminal.  Definitely suitable for a short stay. 

Edited by CCC's

There is a lot of accommodation at Hamilton, probably the closest area of motels etc to the cruise terminal. There are a lot of options for food/meals at Hamilton as well as a Dan Murphys'. If you have some spare hours and want to go sightseeing, you can go on the CityCat (ferry) from its stop near Portside.

The motels I found on the internet range from $131 upwards with six under $160 pn.

Some of the Hamilton motels used to offer a free shuttle service to Portside because it is very very close, but someone posted info that this isn't available to the new terminal as it is 15 minutes' drive - in the middle of nowhere (an industrial area actually).

There is a motel at Clayfield  called "Airport Clayfield Motel" 772 Sandgate Rd
It would be only a short drive to the cruise terminal, and is close to the Clayfield shopping strip for restaurants etc.

Edited by Ozwoody

2 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

There’s not much close to the BICT. 

The closest would be a pub, the old Pinkenbar Hotel, aka The Pink. It’s been rebranded as Trade Coast Hotel. Apparently rated as 3 star accommodation. 

It used to have a very dodgy reputation as a truckers watering hole. I don't know if the strippers and topless barmaids are still in evidence since the rebranding. 😲

Apart from the Trade Coast the actual closest hotel would be the Novotel next door to the DFO. Lots of shopping, eateries and a Woolworths. Plus a free public shuttle bus to and from the airport.

The Ibis across the road may look nearby, but without a car there is no way to cross the freeway to get to the DFO, so you are limited to what you can find on Nudgee Road.

After that there are several motels at Hamilton along Kingsford Smith Drive. Shops and eateries nearby on Racecourse Road. As far as location goes the Riverview Motel is probably the pick of the bunch, as it's in a relatively quiet position, well priced, and across the road from the Hamilton Hotel and the Bretts Wharf Ferry terminal.

Don't forget to get yourself a Go Card to travel on public transport. The Citycat ferries are especially useful for getting in and out of the CBD and South Bank.

• Like 2

+1 for Alcyone apartments in the old Portside cruise terminal complex. It is just a walk out of the foyer to plenty of food options (restaurant, cafe, take-away), a small supermarket if you want to eat in your room, bottle shop, cinema. Also close to Brett's Wharf for a rivercat into the city, but that is something we rarely do if we are only staying the night.

Alcyone is great value, but there are others cheaper. We have stayed at quite a few along Kingsford Smith Drive over the years, and they are very much second prize these days. In the grand scheme of a holiday, I am not concerned about an extra 5 or 10 dollars on a cab fare, and just want easy options to choose from after check-in. We would also consider the Novotel for future trips, especially if they added a genuine cruise shuttle.

• Like 1

We booked the ibis Brisbane airport hotel, which I believe is different to the one that @jeanc went to.

we arrive at 8pm looked at the Pullman and Novotel but to be honest we thought for one night the ibis will be fine. 

Edited by gogo65
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

We booked the ibis Brisbane airport hotel, which I believe is different to the one that @jeanc went to.

we arrive at 8pm looked at the Pullman and Novotel but to be honest we thought for one night the ibis will be fine. 

As a friend and I have as well for later this week - like you arrive late and we are in the first boarding group so not spending much time there. The airport Ibis is next door to the Pullman.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nz1 said:

Hi Bob,

When I was recently researching hotels near the cruise port, I found Alcyone Hotel Residences which seemed modern and a good price. Looks like there’s a bit around it, too. Would still be a 20 minute car ride to the cruise terminal though.

Cheers,

Brendan

We always stayed at the Alcyone Hotel Residences when cruising pre pandemic.

Will do so again in November. 

• Like 1

We have stayed at Ibis Brisbane Airport  after our cruise in June - excellent for price and comfort.  Extremely quiet.  Cafe reasonably priced and good food options.  Walk to airport for flight so only transport cost was from cruise terminal.

Picked a hotel in Hamilton prior to our June cruise - Airport International Hotel.  Cheap and across the road from a major office/shopping centre.  Room was clean and comfortable but not fancy.  Unfortunately there was an evacuation siren/warning that went off in the office in the middle of the night for an hour.  It’s also on the main road so not quiet.  Cost about $30 to $40 taxi each way from airport and then to cruise terminal.  

Also stayed at Novotel Brisbane airport in 2017 - fancier and good price for Accor members.  Need transport to/from airport - about a 5 minute drive but too awkward to walk to.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 2022cruisey said:

We have stayed at Ibis Brisbane Airport  after our cruise in June - excellent for price and comfort.  Extremely quiet.  Cafe reasonably priced and good food options.  Walk to airport for flight so only transport cost was from cruise terminal.

Yes thats why we picked it, only the one transport cost, hotel to port the next morning. 

We are flying business class to Brisbane so will be fed on the plane, just need a light breakfast before heading to the port the next day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuitesRbest said:

So I'm led to believe

I believe the info about the motel refers to the Portside cruise terminal. Their website has the following -

Located on the corner of Nudgee Rd and Kingsford Smith Drive, within walking distance of the Brisbane Cruise Ship Terminal . They go on to say that they offer 'drop-off' to the Brisbane Cruise Terminal.  The photo shows a ship at Portside.

I don't think their website has been updated since the opening of the new cruise terminal.

54 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I believe the info about the motel refers to the Portside cruise terminal. Their website has the following -

Located on the corner of Nudgee Rd and Kingsford Smith Drive, within walking distance of the Brisbane Cruise Ship Terminal . They go on to say that they offer 'drop-off' to the Brisbane Cruise Terminal.  The photo shows a ship at Portside.

I don't think their website has been updated since the opening of the new cruise terminal.

I wonder if most of these hotels are owned by the same corporate body, as Airolodge reads a similar way. Their website has been updated to say conditions apply, and as with any of these hotels, I would want to confirm it with them at the time of booking. 

Having used a couple of these shuttles to Portside, one was in an 8 seater Tarago, and the other a 10 seat mini bus. That was adequate for the 15 minute loop to Portside and back, but would be very restrictive to BICT.

• Like 1

I'm booked into the Hamilton Motor Inn prior to a November cruise. I picked it because of prior recommendations from people who stayed there when embarking from the old cruise terminal. Price is economical, compared to CBD places. Their website said they did a free shuttle, but I asked and they replied that they no longer do that to the new terminal.  But it's in a good location and not an expensive taxi ride from there.  There are shops and restaurants close by, and, of course, Dan Murphy's to pick up some supplies to take on board.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I'm booked into the Hamilton Motor Inn prior to a November cruise. I picked it because of prior recommendations from people who stayed there when embarking from the old cruise terminal. Price is economical, compared to CBD places. Their website said they did a free shuttle, but I asked and they replied that they no longer do that to the new terminal.  But it's in a good location and not an expensive taxi ride from there.  There are shops and restaurants close by, and, of course, Dan Murphy's to pick up some supplies to take on board.

Good pub grub at the Hamilton Hotel, which is adjoined to Dans

• Like 3

If anyone is still looking and you want somewhere quiet, Raceways Motel is in Hamilton but in a side street so very little traffic noise. It's an easy walk to cafes on Racecourse Rd. We've stayed there twice but not for quite a while.

• Like 1