HEATHROW airport baggage mess ??? yikes!

DONNAKG

On 8/29/2022 at 11:54 AM, DONNAKG said:

hello,

just checking to see how the luggage situation has been. Some of you have posted no problem with carryon only.

Anyone recently at LHR with checked baggage???? Just wondering if the bags are still piled up to the ceiling,, YIKES???!!

. Our flight is Sept 14th CVG to BOS and then onto LHR.

thanks for the info,

DONNAKG

I returned yesterday from an 8-day land vacation in London.   I originally planned to go carry-on only due to the horrific stories and pictures of bags piling up at Heathrow.   But ultimately, I decided to check a bag and cross my fingers.  I flew on United, which uses terminal 2.  The baggage situation seemed completely normal.   My bag had been taken off the conveyor and placed in a convenient location for me to retrieve after I cleared passport control, which, in a pleasant surprise, was a relatively short process. 

And the LHR baggage handlers did their job putting my bag on my return flight to ORD, as it appeared shortly after I went through immigration, which again was a relatively short process. 

Some locals that I chatted with over the course of my vacation said the worst problems were in the terminals used by the airlines that fly within Europe.    And perhaps the issue has been addressed over the summer.  If you decide to check a bag, I hope your experience is like mine.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Some locals that I chatted with over the course of my vacation said the worst problems were in the terminals used by the airlines that fly within Europe.    And perhaps the issue has been addressed over the summer.

Those airlines/flights use the same terminals at Heathrow. So I don't know what these locals were on about.

The issue has been addressed over the summer. The airport imposed capacity caps and required airlines to reduce the number of passengers they were carrying. Some airlines had to stop taking bookings.