Catania Questions

ajtraveler66

We are considering a cruise on NCL Star for 2023.  If we take the cruise, we will have just wrapped up 3 days in Florence, Rome, and Naples prior to coming to port in Catania.  (We plan to do those three cities in a VERY BIG way!!)

That said, our next day--as I said--would be Catania, Italy (Sicily).  If we take the cruise, we will probably be very tired and will more than likely want to take things easy at the Catania port.  Can you see Mt. Etna from the port (assuming clear weather, of course)?  Also, are there things to do within walking distance from the port?  Restaurants, etc., etc.  If you cannot see Etna even if the weather is clear -- any suggestions for being able to do so?  (Might as well see it if you are there).

You will have a view as you come into the port.  You may or may not have a view while docked, it will depend on what is near you.

The cruise port in Catania is less than a mile from Catania Centrale train station, you could easily walk there and get a train along the coast to enjoy the view.  Taormina is a popular destination; you can buy a combination train & bus ticket from Trenitalia that takes you right into the town.  From Taormina there are amazing views, especially from the public gardens.

More about Taormina:  Taormina - Going through the town - what you can see

Edited by euro cruiser

We enjoyed Catania as a port. It's about 10-15 minutes walk to a square with an elephant statue, there are some lovely old buildings and churches to visit. There is great market and there were stalls with little cafes next door where you could choose fish and eat it cooked for you. We walked up the main thoroughfare off the square (think it's called via Etna) and there were lots of shops, cafes and further up there are some Roman ruins. We took a right into one of the small roads and found a lovely traditional bakers where we bought original Sicilian cannoli, absolutely delicious!

Catania was one of our favorite stops. As was Malta on the same cruise.

So much so that we returned a few years later on 10 day  Malta trip and then spent 2 1/2 weeks driving around Sicily.

We enjoyed the market.  Watch the butchers slicing off paper thin strips of veal, etc.   We did not want to get back on the ship!

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hearing great things about Taormina.  

We'll be on the NCL Star in April 2023 with a port of call in Catania (Sicily).  I see that the ship has excursions to Taormina:  One is a guided tour ... the other is an "On Your Own" offering... suggesting that we would only be in the city for about 2 hours.  I really think that two hours would be enough time to get a good view of Mt. Aetna, to stroll around for a bit, and to enjoy time for coffee/pastry, etc.

Is there a better way to get there?  Are we better off just staying in Catania?  If we opt to go to Taormina (on our own) what highlights would you suggest for us?

IMO, Taormina is the best option from this port, if you haven't been there before.  It is a charming place.

Given the information you've shared in your others posts (e.g., being a bit nervous about not using ship tours; not wanting strenuous full-day tours in these ports), I would suggest you go with the ship's "on your own" tour.  

Two hours is about the minimum time to get an appreciation of Taormina. It is not a large place. In addition to appreciating the views, strolling and having a coffee and cannoli, I would also suggest that you visit the Greek theatre (which is likely included in the guided tour) as it is well preserved and beautifully set at the edge of the town.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

IMO, Taormina is the best option from this port, if you haven't been there before.  It is a charming place.

Given the information you've shared in your others posts (e.g., being a bit nervous about not using ship tours; not wanting strenuous full-day tours in these ports), I would suggest you go with the ship's "on your own" tour.  

Two hours is about the minimum time to get an appreciation of Taormina. It is not a large place. In addition to appreciating the views, strolling and having a coffee and cannoli, I would also suggest that you visit the Greek theatre (which is likely included in the guided tour) as it is well preserved and beautifully set at the edge of the town.  

The guided tour sounds wonderful.  But it appears you would miss out on the coffee/cannoli experience.  We'll just do our research and do the best that we can.  Thanks for the info.  Taormina looks like a 'must do'.  .... Wondering if this ship excursion could be made a day prior to the event.  Asking this...because weather can be such a factor.  As wonderful as this place looks with the videos and pictures that I've seen ... I'm not so sure that I would want to venture out on a rainy day.  (Our actual date to be there is April 20, 2023).

1 hour ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Wondering if this ship excursion could be made a day prior to the event.  Asking this...because weather can be such a factor.

I would think there is a high likelihood it would sell out.  What is NCL's policy on refunds -- some lines let you opt out of the tour and get a refund up to maybe 48 hours in advance. 

April is not a very rainy month in Silicy, BTW.

• Like 1

We visited Taormina twice from Catania, once on the tour, and the second time with the ‘on your own’ tour.  I’m sure we had more than two hours there, seeing the theater, wandering the shops…. It is a bit of a hike around after you leave the parking garage where the bus leaves you.  The views are wonderful.  I think the best view of Mt. Etna might have been from the theater.  EM

• Like 1

DW would say that it is impossible to visit Taormina without having at least one cannoli.   She thinks the cannoli's in Taormina are almost as good as the ones in NYC.  Coming from DW this would be the highest compliment🙂    Of course everyone knows that the best cannoli, bagels, pastrami, and pizza are found in NYC!

Hank

I've already posed the question of doing Taormina as a tour versus 'on your own'.  But I've never really inquired as to whether we miss out on any great offerings of Catania itself if we opt to do the Taormina excursion.  From what I've seen and heard from some of you already, I'm leaning VERY heavily toward Taormina.  (I'm the research guy for our party of four, and they are depending on me to provide the best info possible.  LOL)

We will be at port in Catania from 8a.m. to 5p.m.

We are planning our time at port in Catania, Sicily.  At present an excursion to Taormina is looking like a strong possibility for us.  But it appears that another tour option includes Castelmola along with Taormina.  This tour would also include a seafood lunch at Ristorante Baronessa in Taormina.

We were content with the half-day "Taormina On Your Own" excursion.  But this other one might be one to consider as long as Castelmola is worth the time and effort.

Also...heights are an issue for two in our group.  Castemola looks like it's 'way up there'.  So we would not want to venture up that high if roads were treacherous and winding, etc., etc.

Look forward to hearing from you.  

Edited by ajtraveler66

Taormina is also quite high, just to note. I took an excursion there a few days ago, and the bus had difficulty with the numerous switchbacks. Treacherous? Probably not, but looking out the window and seeing a steep incline could be stomach churning.

53 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Taormina is also quite high, just to note. I took an excursion there a few days ago, and the bus had difficulty with the numerous switchbacks. Treacherous? Probably not, but looking out the window and seeing a steep incline could be stomach churning.

Did you go all the way up to Castelmola or are you talking about the roads to Taormina here?

On 9/6/2022 at 7:39 AM, ajtraveler66 said:

Did you go all the way up to Castelmola or are you talking about the roads to Taormina here?

Just to Taormina. It was no Pikes Peak, but someone who is uncomfortable with heights might want to avoid looking out of the bus.

The road up to Castelmola is not treacherous (I have driven it a few times) but does offer a few moments with “views.”  The village does offer some decent views across the valley to Mt. Etna.  We would not call it a priority for first time visitors who would probably enjoy extra time in Taormina.  As to Taormina it is a walking town whether on your own or with a guide. The town is about 2 streets…one being the Main Street and the other the shorter connector street to the Amphitheater.  Easy to do on one’s own with plenty of eating choices.  Keep in mind that Taormina is famous for excellent cannoli’s.

Hank

• Like 1

We will be on a cruise in April, and while in Catania we are seriously considering Taormina.  

I understand that the best view of Etna (while in Taormina) is from the Greek theater.  But I saw something today online that suggested that tickets are needed to get into the theater.  If so, is the line long?  We are only going to be in Taormin for about two hours, and I hate to think of wasting precious time standing in a long line.

Maybe it's possible that one is able to appreciate the theater without going into it ... and also that one can get a good view of Mt. Etna without being inside the theater.

I need your guidance on this.  The ship offers two excursions to Toarmina -- one is an 'on your own'.  The other is a guided tour that says you will look at the theater...it doesn't necessarily say you will go into it.  Both tours are 4 1/2 hours long ... this including the transportation from and to Catania.

We currently are planning to take the NCL "On Your Own" excursion. ... because we want to be sure to get that cannoli that everyone raves about.

I'm not sure I can fully answer your questions, but maybe I can add a few more pieces of info to help you make your decision.

Be aware that to get the best views of Mt. Etna from the Greek theatre, you will need to climb to nearly the top of the cavea (seating area). Where you enter is of course close to the bottom level. 

Most cruise lines offer one tour that includes the theatre and one that is "on your own".  I read the NCL excursion and I am pretty sure they will include your ticket and a visit, as it is one of the few things that would differentiate it from the other tour. 

I can't say whether the lines for tickets are long or short, but in April you are not exactly at the height of tourist season. I suspect lines get longer as the day progresses so if you do the "on your own" tour and make a beeline for the Greek theatre on arrival, I think you'd not have a problem. Unfortunately the theatre is almost on the other side of Taormina from where the buses drop you.

There are other places to get views of Mt. Etna from Taormina, it's just that the theatre frames it so nicely, with the ruins in the foreground....  (If you're lucky, the theatre won't be all kitted out for a modern performance, which detracts a bit.)

• Like 1