Brisbane cruise terminal to Roma st train station

40 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There is no easy way to get from the new terminal to the Roma Street station. You would have to use either ConX or a taxi.

Thanks . Tryed booking Con x but only can book a whole van and driver hopefully something shoreside on the day.

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Princess only offers $40 p.p transfers to Airport, bit rich seeing con x was only $20p.p to arrive. Any Brisbane transport experts ? Thanks 

I'm not saying that this is feasible, only that it exists.

Walk to the corner of Dickson Road and Main Road.

Catch the 303 bus to Doomben station.

Catch the train from Doomben station direct to Roma Street station.

Two problems. First you aren't supposed to walk out of the terminal grounds. Second the 303 bus timetable is very restricted (M-F early AM and late PM).

So next option is to get a taxi from the cruise terminal to Doomben station, saving considerable dollars. The problem there is that the train doesn't run on Sundays.

Basically, unless you want to go to a lot of trouble, the realistic option is taxi or uber.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

You could always get a shuttle to the airport and then get the train to Roma St station. Or get a uber/ cab to Hamilton and the river cat to the CBD and then walk to the station 

The airport train would be more expensive for two people than a taxi.

If you can get a shuttle to the DFO (I don't know if they exist), there is a 590 bus from there to the Toombul Bus Interchange, from where there are several buses going to Roma Street.

37 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I'm not saying that this is feasible, only that it exists.

Walk to the corner of Dickson Road and Main Road.

Catch the 303 bus to Doomben station.

Catch the train from Doomben station direct to Roma Street station.

Two problems. First you aren't supposed to walk out of the terminal grounds. Second the 303 bus timetable is very restricted (M-F early AM and late PM).

So next option is to get a taxi from the cruise terminal to Doomben station, saving considerable dollars. The problem there is that the train doesn't run on Sundays.

Basically, unless you want to go to a lot of trouble, the realistic option is taxi or uber.

As you say, the bus option exists but I wouldn't like to try it.😁 As Sinbad says, people aren't supposed to walk out of the terminal grounds.l The road from the cruise terminal does not have a footpath and I can't imagine dragging luggage on the rough shoulder of the road. From memory, the kilometre or so close to the terminal is a new road with soft blue metal edges. You couldn't walk on the road because traffic would be whizzing by in both directions.

Had such great hopes of the new terminal, so far transport is a real pain! 

You could try a taxi to Doomben Station (4.3km) - then catch the Clevelend train to Roma Street, a direct service. The Cleveland  train commence its journey at Doomben Station and leaves every half hour, journey time is 27 minutes.  If you need help with luggage the Station Attendant will place a ramp to allow roll up of bags - and will let Rome Street know to have another ramp available when you leave the train - the old stations have a sizable gap between platform and train level. Happy journey.

• Like 1

This is repeating some of what has been suggested. The easiest way is a taxi, I know on the Black and White cabs website it will give you an idea of cost for your route. 

For something cheaper, you could get to Portside with a shuttle, then catch a CityCat from Bretts Wharf. The ferry is around $4, you cannot use cash any more, need to buy a Go Card somewhere first. Translink website has a list of retailers - and no, they don't make it easy.  From Riverside in the city you'd need to get to Roma Street which is a long walk. Note North Quay is not in operation yet after the Feb floods, same situation as quite a few other ferry terminals.

The airtrain is around $20 if you just rock up with a Go Card but family recently paid $28 for two adults, one way, from the airport to the city. There is a deal for two, maybe other deals on the website. Also cheaper if you prebook.

19 minutes ago, Brisbane47 said:

This is repeating some of what has been suggested. The easiest way is a taxi, I know on the Black and White cabs website it will give you an idea of cost for your route. 

For something cheaper, you could get to Portside with a shuttle, then catch a CityCat from Bretts Wharf. The ferry is around $4, you cannot use cash any more, need to buy a Go Card somewhere first. Translink website has a list of retailers - and no, they don't make it easy.  From Riverside in the city you'd need to get to Roma Street which is a long walk. Note North Quay is not in operation yet after the Feb floods, same situation as quite a few other ferry terminals.

The airtrain is around $20 if you just rock up with a Go Card but family recently paid $28 for two adults, one way, from the airport to the city. There is a deal for two, maybe other deals on the website. Also cheaper if you prebook.

The only shuttles operating from the new terminal to Portside are those for people with cars garaged with Portside Parking. The cost for two people on the shuttle to the airport then the AirTrain, would be more than the cost of a taxi and it would be much less convenient. I say 'taxi' because when we have been at the terminal there have been several in the taxi rank. An Uber could be booked, but because the terminal is very much out of the way, an Uber might not turn up at all.

42 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

What a nightmare.

They should upgrade Cairns as Queensland’s number one cruise terminal.
Brisbane doesn’t have much going for it’s a cruise port.

Or a new Sydney terminal with transport infrastructure 

Warning: If you are using Brisbane public transport in the weekend, be aware that frequent line work can cause major disruptions, so always check the TRANSLINK site before assuming services are normal.

Also, if you don't have a GO card, pre-book your airport train tickets on line for convenience and a possible discount. 

The nearest station from the port is probably Eagle Junction, which is the last station on the city line before the airport train proceeds to the airport stations. This station also connects with the Doomben line. 

All in all, for two or more passengers, the taxi fare is possible a better deal than the expensive airport train fares. 

I agree, the situation re transport to and from the new port is abysmal.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

What a nightmare.

With the majority of Queensland population in the south east corner, it is more logical to have the major cruise terminal in Brisbane. When cruise lines experimented with cruises starting and ending in Cairns, it didn't end well. People had to add the considerable cost of airfares to Cairns to the cost of the cruise. In addition, in normal times, the most popular cruise are either to the islands or to NZ. For these Brisbane is a better starting off point than Cairns. The only cruises where Cairns would be an advantage would be to PNG and maybe the Solomon Islands. This is OK for a few cruises a year, but not much more than that.

I don't get my knickers in a knot about the transport to the new Brisbane terminal. How many people want to go on public transport with their luggage? There is no transport to the White Bay terminal in Sydney either. In Brisbane it is pretty easy to go by taxi or for locals to drive. Princess have a transfer to/from the airport. If they offered one to Roma Street Station I suspect that they wouldn't get many customers.  Just my opinion. 😁

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There is no transport to the White Bay terminal in Sydney either. 😁

I agree with most of your post however you can get to white Bay using mostly public transport. While the ferry from kings wharf to white Bay doesn't take the Opal card it is for the public to use, and relatively  inexpensive.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

With the majority of Queensland population in the south east corner, it is more logical to have the major cruise terminal in Brisbane. When cruise lines experimented with cruises starting and ending in Cairns, it didn't end well. People had to add the considerable cost of airfares to Cairns to the cost of the cruise. In addition, in normal times, the most popular cruise are either to the islands or to NZ. For these Brisbane is a better starting off point than Cairns. The only cruises where Cairns would be an advantage would be to PNG and maybe the Solomon Islands. This is OK for a few cruises a year, but not much more than that.

I don't get my knickers in a knot about the transport to the new Brisbane terminal. How many people want to go on public transport with their luggage? There is no transport to the White Bay terminal in Sydney either. In Brisbane it is pretty easy to go by taxi or for locals to drive. Princess have a transfer to/from the airport. If they offered one to Roma Street Station I suspect that they wouldn't get many customers.  Just my opinion. 😁

I can see your point but I don’t think the population around the area would fill the market. 
A lot of people will have to fly and I would rather fly the bit extra to a lovely departure town.

Cairns is pretty close to the distance from noumea as Brisbane is ,about 2 days sailing time.

Cairns is closer for the Asian and U.S. travellers.

Brisbane badly needed a good terminal but it has something missing.

57 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

What a nightmare.

Yes, much cheaper for 95% of the population to fly to Cairns and pay for a shuttle to the port, than it is to get a shuttle from Brisbane to the port.

As cities grow, the become inconvenient. Transport links are built around every day commuting. CQ is a rare throwback to days gone by

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I agree with most of your post however you can get to white Bay using mostly public transport. While the ferry from kings wharf to white Bay doesn't take the Opal card it is for the public to use, and relatively  inexpensive.

Is this up and running again? It is private though, and much more expensive than the public ferries.

Just now, arxcards said:

Is this up and running again? It is private though, and much more expensive than the public ferries.

Not sure about if it is running again and at $9 per person it was not that bad, certainly better than a cab from the city.

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

No it’s not running yet but maybe for the coming season.

I think it was $14 ,not that bad but still not circular quay.

Cairns airport has shuttles into town and a cab is about $18.

Stay the night and 5-10 minute walk to the terminal .

How good is that.

Edited by Chiliburn

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Not sure about if it is running again and at $9 per person it was not that bad, certainly better than a cab from the city.

Depends where you are coming from. Cab from Central to White Bay vs switch to suburban line train to Wynyard, walk down to Kings Wharf, fit in with ferry timetable over to White Bay, then walk from beyond the carpark up to the terminal, all with luggage. Price isn't everything.

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

No it’s not running yet but maybe for the coming season.

I think it was $14 ,not that bad but still not circular quay.

Cairns airport has shuttles into town and a cab is about $18.

Stay the night and 5-10 minute walk to the terminal .

How good is that.

Been there, done that cruising out of Cairns to PNG, as well as some time in FNQ. Yes, it was awesome. To cruise to the islands though, I would rather spend the extra days cruising from Brisbane or Sydney. It is a holiday after all, not a commute.

What are we discussing though. Perceived expensive or inconvenient transport links can be overcome by flying to Cairns and spending a night there to spend another thousand. All just to change the question "how much from the city to the cruise terminal" to "how much to get from the city to the airport"

29 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Depends where you are coming from. Cab from Central to White Bay vs switch to suburban line train to Wynyard, walk down to Kings Wharf, fit in with ferry timetable over to White Bay, then walk from beyond the carpark up to the terminal, all with luggage. Price isn't everything.

True but then there are many reasons, some people are fitter than others, may not have much luggage, may have time, may want a cheaper method, may want to use local transport, etc