Fiji question for those that have been on a cruise ship

Question about Fiji- When we dock, will there be people at pier offering tours? 

Since Carnival is not listing any on our cruise I have decided to try to book with someone when we dock.  would like to do beach at one stop and cultural tour at other.  Any suggestions?

1 minute ago, Janet&Carl said:

Since Carnival is not listing any on our cruise I have decided to try to book with someone when we dock.  would like to do beach at one stop and cultural tour at other.  Any suggestions?

There will be locals offering tours. Beware of scammers. At Suva we got approached by a dodgy looking character who flashed a tour operator card, then tried to take us to his 'cousin's tailor shop to get a suit made. I did a reverse gear. So watch out for this type, hard to pick who is who in the zoo on the wharf.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Janet&Carl said:

In Suva there used to be several tour operators on the dock. I believe they are all reputable. If you want a cultural tour, try to get a tour to the Arts Village, about 45 minutes' drive from Suva. They have a superb show where warriors walk on hot coals/fire.

At Suva and Lautoka if the tour operators are "inside the fence" at the docks they are reputable - outside the fence you are taking your own chances....Doing a check of Trip Advisor never hurts either way.

There are sheisters who pose as authorised tour guides in Suva.  They intercept you once you get outside the port compound fence and get kick backs from shop owners for bringing them customers.  Buyer beware and steer clear!

56 minutes ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

At Suva and Lautoka if the tour operators are "inside the fence" at the docks they are reputable - outside the fence you are taking your own chances....Doing a check of Trip Advisor never hurts either way.

There are sheisters who pose as authorised tour guides in Suva.  They intercept you once you get outside the port compound fence and get kick backs from shop owners for bringing them customers.  Buyer beware and steer clear!

I agree. If someone sidles up to you with a hand-made ID hanging around their neck claiming to be an 'authorised representative of the local Council' don't believe them. 🙂

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

Which port? 

There were independent tour operators just off the wharf when we last visited Lautoka, but that was a few years back now.

We are Suva on a Saturday and Port Denarau on a Sunday 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

We are Suva on a Saturday and Port Denarau on a Sunday 

I was going to add that we’re in Port Denarau on a Sunday so that may change things. 

Also I’m not sure if our sailing (Carnival Splendor transpacific) will be the first time a cruise ship has called at Fiji since the lockdown. 🤷‍♂️

14 hours ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

That is who I was referring to in my post.

7 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

I was going to add that we’re in Port Denarau on a Sunday so that may change things. 

Also I’m not sure if our sailing (Carnival Splendor transpacific) will be the first time a cruise ship has called at Fiji since the lockdown. 🤷‍♂️

Pacific Explorer is currently cruising towards Fiji via Auckland.

Some tours are ship only. We did one to Tivua Island that we could only do via the ship. If Carnival aren't going to have it in Port Denarau, I would expect the local Captain Cook operators would if they have the numbers.

• Thanks 1