Adriatic Coast Questions

We are looking at an 11-Day Mediterranean cruise with a focus on Italy.  However, some other Mediterranean ports are included.  Among them are Kotor, Montenegro and Split, Croatia.  As the title suggests, I would be interested in your input one or both of these two sites if you have been there...particularly things that you would recommend that we do.  We love nature, and we love food...and in that order.  (I've seen a picture of a waterfalls near Split that looks amazing).

Also...is there anything neat to do in the actual port areas...or is it best to take organized excursions, etc., etc.

26 minutes ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Also...is there anything neat to do in the actual port areas...or is it best to take organized excursions, etc., etc.

The old city of Split, which is close to where ships dock, is actually the remains of the palace of a Roman emperor (Diocletian).  He was originally from the area and when he "retired" as emperor, he built himself a palatial retirement villa that was also part army camp. 

The city walls are still standing almost complete. The residential part of the palace was that part closest to the sea. Today the upper quarters are not well preserved (except for the main entry, accessed from the interior piazza area) but you can visit the basements.  There are also other ancient buildings that were part of the palace, such as a temple and Diocletian's tomb (which later became a church).

It's worth wandering around, either before or after you do something else. There are tours you can book that take you around for about an hour -- you'll see the place in the piazza I already mentioned above.

• Like 1

SPLIT

I suspect that the "amazing waterfall" near Split is in Krka National Park. It's an hour  by road from Split, and I fear you would be under-whelmed - we visited on a road-trip and felt it a waste of a day. It's a great place for locals to take the family for a picnic, but IMHO not worth the trip for a tourist. There's nothing else of interest in the Park for anyone on the restricted hours of a port-of-call visit to Split - boat trips above the waterfall start too early in the day. You access the waterfall by a short boat trip from Skradin, but other than a path alongside the waterfall it's just a photo-opportunity. Ignore photos which show kids enjoying paddling below the waterfall - that's now forbidden.

The main attraction of Split is the old part of town including the Diocletian's Palace, as per Cruiseom's post. From the cruise berths it's a ten-minute waterside walk past the ferry berths.

A simple, interesting, & economical day.

The historic waterside town of Trogir is an 18-mile bus ride, about 45 - 60 minutes. Perhaps now a little too touristic, and some folk complain that it's over-crowded, but we enjoyed a couple of days there.

Or rent a car and drive the coast road (route 8 ) perhaps as far as the Bosnia border, for glorious  views of the islands & Adriatic and a taste of rural Croatia. 

Or for a lazy beach day it's a ten minute walk over or around the headland to Bacvice Beach.

KOTOR

Don't miss the sail in or out thro the channel to Kotor.

There's just one cruise berth, big enough only for small to medium-size ships. It's literally across the road from the walled city. Other cruise ships moor in the channel, and tender to that cruise pier - the channel is very well protected, almost like a lake, and I can't imagine any risk of tenders being unable to operate.

Attractive & historic little town, we loved it. Altho it's quite a small town & there were three cruise ships that day it didn't feel crowded.

Consider a small-boat ride to Perast and the two tiny islands (one man-made, with a little church Our Lady of the Rocks, and an interesting back-story). On sale in the underpass between the cruise berth and the old town, or possibly bookable on-line. Particularly enjoyable on an overly-hot day.

Local buses and the ho-ho buses also go to Perast

JB 🙂

• Like 2

is there anything neat to do in the actual port areas...or is it best to take organized excursions, etc., etc.

Both Split and Kotor have been covered extensively on threads, as have nearby "out of town" options. You can get much info by reading these previous threads, which I recmmend you do as not everyone wants to give the same info  over and over each time  a FAQ is asked. In addition to the usual tourist info and tripadvisor websites and any other sites which appear when you search eg ??? tourist info.

The more you read the more options you will have and you can then decide which which ones actually appeal to you personally.

Finding previous threads is very easy.

Go to this Other Mediterranean Ports forum, but not to any individual thread.

Just under your username you will see an empty SEARCH BOX,

Input  the name of  only one of the ports, and click ON THIS FORUM from the dropdown under the search box.

Hit the little magnifying glass and all previous threads with that name will appear in the results ready for you to read.

Repeat the process for other individual ports (on the correct forum if they are in eg italy or France or wherever)

You can learn a huge amount just by reading previous threads and they will help you decide how to spend your day.

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...

We are trying to select our ship/itinerary for a 2023 Mediterranean cruise.  The NCL Star has a great looking itinerary for April, and Korcula, Croatia, is one of the ports included.  Some friends have told me that Croatia was a very pleasant surprise for them.

Just curious:  Is there much to do near the port ...  I'm certain that the main thing we will want to do while there is to find a nice place to have an extended lunch and to take in some great scenery ... and just get a feel for the city.

I welcome any thoughts/suggestions that will help us to enjoy our day of relaxation.  

Korcula is a lovely place to visit and we have been  twice. It is small enough to walk around but has enough sights to be of interest.  I really don't think there is any need for a shorex on a first visit nor for a guided walking tour. Perfect for a stroll around this very attractive town  which has a few sights, (do read about them online) but mostly it is just walking the narrow winding streets and sitting waterfront enjoying the scenery

You should be able to easily find a nice restaurant there for lunch.

Some friends have told me that Croatia was a very pleasant surprise for them.

And yes, Croatia comes as a lovely surprise to many. It is really popular with "yachties" due to the scenic coastline, and pretty bays and has very attractive towns and villages in addition to national parks.

We discovered it a number of years ago (also the Adriatic in general) and since then have sailed several itineraries which took us around the Adriatic  (including Italy, Slovenia, Slovakia. Croatia and Montenegro)and to a number of Croatian  islands.

Edited by edinburgher

We are looking at a cruise itinerary that includes the ports of both Korcula and Dubrovnik.

Of the two, which offers the most as far as beautiful scenery?  Of the two, which has the best with regard to restaurants within walking distance to the port?

We will probably do a major tour on one of these islands and just opt to 'walk around and have a leisurely lunch' on the other island.  We look forward to receiving your imput as we continue to plan two days for this cruise plan.

Dubrovnik is a relatively compact walled city that can easily be explored on one's own, assuming you have the ability to walk.  Getting from the port to the city (Dubronik) can be accomplished via a shuttle bus provided by your ship, walking outside of the port and taking the local public bus, grabbing a taxi at the port, or simply walking (it takes us about 30 minutes but we are fast walkers).  

Korcula would be our choice for a major tour (for those that like tours).  At this port we have enjoyed some tours that included wine tasting.  This area has a white wine called "Grk"  which I found fascinating for its name and history.  We had a lot of fun with this wine since we bought a bottle and took it back to our Princess ship.  On that cruise, the head sommelier was actually a real "Master Sommelier" which means he had a lot of training and experience.  We took the bottle of Grk to dinner, drank about 1/4 of the bottle, and than gifted it to the Sommelier who had never heard of the wine/grape.  Got us a lot of thanks from the wine staff (who all tried the so-so white wine).

Hank

Korcula is an island, but Dubrovnik is not. As Hank says, it's a small walled city on the coast of Croatia.

Korcula is more about natural scenery -- there are pine forests, beaches, small towns. Dubrovnik is scenic too, but the scenery is more architectural and historical than natural (which I prefer).

Given your plan, I'd say Korcula is more suited to a tour to see some of the island. In Dubrovnik you can see the city within the well-preserved walls and even walk the walls themselves, which is a great opportunity when it's not too hot or too crowded -- Dubrovnik is a very popular port and on some days you can feel a bit like a sardine walking around the streets. It's easy to do on your own and there are also many nice places for a meal.

• Like 1

Speaking of Dubrovnik, on one of our visits we arranged to have lunch with "Dubrovniktravellady" who used to be a frequent poster (for all things related to Croatia) here on CC.  We have not seen any of her posts in the last few years and hope she is still doing fine.   But she was a California native who had moved to Dubrovnik (many years ago) because her husband had been from the area.   I mention this because CC does sometimes result in new friendships.    Over the many years of CC, we have met quite a few posters on our cruises and independent land trips.

Hank

• Like 2

Zadar is on a Mediterranean itinerary of a cruise that we hope to take in April (NCL Star).  Looking for suggestions on things to do near the port.  Things to see.  Good scenery.  A place to have a lunch with 'local flavor'.

Thanks.

We've zeroed in on our itinerary and will be (Lord willing) in Croatia in late April 2023 on the NCL Star.  Our ports for Croatia include Zadar and Split.  

That said, we'd like to take a scenic excursion at the port (of these two) that you feel is best for that.  We're hesitant to go out on our own and will probably stick with a ship cruise unless you have any other 'safe/reliable' suggestions.

As for the other port (whichever that turns out to be) we will probably just stroll around the port area and take in a leisurely lunch at some restaurant with local flare.  (We would be willing to venture out by taxi a mile, maybe two, if that's what is necessary).

We four senior citizens (who are currently in good health) look forward to receiving your suggestions.  Thanks.

We've over-nighted at Korcula on a laid-back gulet cruise, but didn't travel out of the town.

Very pleasant port, a good selection of bars & restaurants. And you'll find the island much more relaxed and far better value than in Dubrovnik.

The island's coast seemed rather featureless, but I suspect it's more interesting up in the hills. 

We've visited Dubrovnik a few times, two cruises and a road-trip.

On our cruise a couple of months back we took a taxi one-way from the cruise port to the cablecar station at the top of Mt Srd. Magnificent panoramic views looking down on the walled city and coastline from behind a couple of tall cold beers.

Then down in the cablecar to the lower station, which is just a 5 minute walk down to the nearest city gate at Vrata od Buže 

We'd already walked the walls on a previous trip, and in cooler weather. But if its not too hot, it's great fun. You can walk the entire length or duck out halfway round. The only entrance to walk the walls is at Pile (also spelt Pila) Gate. City is crowded, but there are tucked-away places like on the waterfront. 

JB 🙂

PS We've hooked up a couple of times with Hank& his better half, at Southampton and DC/Gettysburg. Any cure in sight for your addiction to the evil black Irish liquid, Hank? 😜

Edited by John Bull

Split has so much to see and do that you could easily spend a full day there, and on our three visits we docked each time just a 5 minute walk from the centre (alongside the bus and ferry terminals). No need to venture out of town on a first visit as everything is easily reached.

Of the many Croatian ports we visited over the years, Zadar was perhaps the least interesting for us and I suggest you tour from there, but look at the tours on offer and what ther is to see and do in Zadar before deciding as we only visited onetime and remained in town.  We also docked outside of town and had to use the ship shuttle buses.  We enjoyed the market area and loved the Sea Organ but apart from those, there really wasn't much more for us although everyone is different and you might love it.

You could also read previous threads for both.  Split is a FAQ so lots of them, Zadar less often asked about.  Go to Other Meditteranean Ports, but not to a specific thread, Under your user name enter SPLIT(OR ZAdar in the empty box, tick "on this forum"from the drop down then hit the little magnifying glass.  Only one name at a time. Much info to be learned by reading them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just now replied to another thread about Split and Zadar and said this about Zadar:

Of the many Croatian ports we visited over the years, Zadar was perhaps the least interesting for us and I suggest you tour from there, but look at the tours on offer and what ther is to see and do in Zadar before deciding as we only visited onetime and remained in town.  We also docked outside of town and had to use the ship shuttle buses.  We enjoyed the market area and loved the Sea Organ but apart from those, there really wasn't much more for us although everyone is different and you might love it.

You could also read previous threads for both.  Split is a FAQ so lots of them, Zadar less often asked about.  Go to Other Meditteranean Ports, but not to a specific thread, Under your user name enter SPLIT(OR ZAdar in the empty box, tick "on this forum"from the drop down then hit the little magnifying glass.  Only one name at a time. Much info to be learned by reading them.

• Like 1

Your question is difficult because Split is the better option to walk around on your own (or take an independent tour of the Imperial palace), have a meal, etc.   But it is also perhaps the better place (at least in my experience) to do a tour -- Trogir (although often overrun with too many tourists), or the archaeological site/ruins at Solin are both options.

Zadar is less touristy -- fewer ships and tours call there. Our small ship parked right next to the water organ and we could walk into town. There are several quite historic churches (no shorts or sleeveless tops allowed -- firmly enforced when I was there).  There is an archaeological museum and also some Roman ruins of the old forum right in town. I also stopped in a lovely old-fashioned place to enjoy some local ice cream (right in the heart of the small local "downtown").  Shopping opportunity -- try (and perhaps buy) some of the local Maraschino liqueur made from cherries; it is truly a local specialty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maraschino

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're hesitant to go out on our own and will probably stick with a ship cruise unless you have any other 'safe/reliable' suggestions.

Others may have heard differently, but neither of us has ever heard that Split is anything other than "safe" for tourists, apart from the usual warning that a close eye should be kept on personal belongings in a busy and often quite crowded tourist town, and as that rule applies almost everywhere in the world where tourists are to be found,  it doesn't make Split "unsafe".

i would would encourage you to be less hesitant and venture the few minutes walk into Split, (and it is only a few minutes)even if only to enjoy a stroll   along the  beautiful Riva promenade and to sit for a few minutes with a coffee or a drink in one of the many cafes to watch the world go by You should be able to see the waterfront from your ship. 

As your other posts suggest, you appear hesitant in most places you will visit. It would be a pity to visitports of call around the world only to stay on the ship without very strong reasons against venturing ashore.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your visit.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, John Bull said:

We'd already walked the walls on a previous trip, and in cooler weather. But if its not too hot, it's great fun. You can walk the entire length or duck out halfway round. The only entrance to walk the walls is at Pile (also spelt Pila) Gate. City is crowded, but there are tucked-away places like on the waterfront. 

About how many miles is it to walk the entire length?  You mentioned you took a cab to the cable car station.  Are cabs readily available at the port, what do they charge?  First time going there and sounds like cable car then going back and walking the walls on our own as opposed to an excursion might be a good option for us.   

2 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

About how many miles is it to walk the entire length?  You mentioned you took a cab to the cable car station.  Are cabs readily available at the port, what do they charge?  First time going there and sounds like cable car then going back and walking the walls on our own as opposed to an excursion might be a good option for us.   

I didn't measure it 😉 but I guess walking the walls took us a very leisurely 60 minutes or thereabouts. Great if not too hot.

Yes, plenty of taxis at the port. Price is by negotiation, I think we settled for about €30 port to top cablecar station (steep, narrow & twisty road. good views).

Buy your one-way cablecar tickets from the souvenir shop in the cablecar station (we used credit card).

Entry to the walking the walls only at Pila Gate. Pay in kuna or by credit card.

Taxi rank & buses back to the port from outside the Pila Gate. I think we agreed €15 for a taxi.

The Croatian government embargo on accepting foreign currencies ended back in June, most places in Dubrovnik & Split & other touristy places now accept euros. But not other currencies like USD.

Yes, it was a great way to spend the day - we prefer to do our own thing even though we don't learn as much as we would with a guide. 

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 11:52 AM, John Bull said:

We've over-nighted at Korcula on a laid-back gulet cruise, but didn't travel out of the town.

Very pleasant port, a good selection of bars & restaurants. And you'll find the island much more relaxed and far better value than in Dubrovnik.

The island's coast seemed rather featureless, but I suspect it's more interesting up in the hills. 

We've visited Dubrovnik a few times, two cruises and a road-trip.

On our cruise a couple of months back we took a taxi one-way from the cruise port to the cablecar station at the top of Mt Srd. Magnificent panoramic views looking down on the walled city and coastline from behind a couple of tall cold beers.

Then down in the cablecar to the lower station, which is just a 5 minute walk down to the nearest city gate at Vrata od Buže 

JB 🙂

PS We've hooked up a couple of times with Hank& his better half, at Southampton and DC/Gettysburg. Any cure in sight for your addiction to the evil black Irish liquid, Hank? 😜

Hmmm.  I honestly drink a lot more IPAs than that "evil black Irish Liquid."  But whenever I am somewhere that that "evil" stuff on tap (draught) I cannot resist.  And I am still puzzled at how such a manly Brit (as yourself) can resist that wonderful brew :).

Hank

Perhaps I was a bit misleading.  We are not leery of locals at the port.  Our fear is making sure that we get back to the ship in time.  That is the reason that we lean toward the NCL-sponsored excursions.  

Certainly, not opposed to using other companies offering excursions as long as we know we will make it back it time.  That's our chief concern.

You should not miss the ship because of a 10 minute walk. And even visiting the palace and back steets would only add another 10 mins to your walk back to the ship  when you are ready to leave as these are located just  behind and running sort of parallel to the Riva Promenade,  i say "sort of parallel" as the back streets and pretty little squares do not follow a grid pattern.

If it would give you peace of mind, you and your group could set all watches  a half  hour ahead.

One of the pleasures of exploring Split is strolling around without being in a group.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

We will be on a cruise in April 2023 and will be at port for a day both in Zadar and Split.

I have heard that Croatia is beautiful.  Do you know of any excursions out of either Zadar or Split that would give us a chance to see some of this beauty?  Especially along the coast.

Thanks