Bay of Islands New Zealand

At last we are going to Bay of Islands on a Cunard Cruise, does anyone know if it is a tender checked my booking and didn't say.  Also any tips of what to do or tour company recommendations, many thanks. ps going February 2023.

28 minutes ago, subaru94 said:

At last we are going to Bay of Islands on a Cunard Cruise, does anyone know if it is a tender checked my booking and didn't say.  Also any tips of what to do or tour company recommendations, many thanks. ps going February 2023.

Definitely a tender port, but you will love it, make sure you go to Russel on the ferry.

The ferry trip is worth it, but the place is also worth the trip.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Definitely a tender port, but you will love it, make sure you go to Russel on the ferry.

The ferry trip is worth it, but the place is also worth the trip.

And it's mandatory to have a drink or lunch at NZ's oldest pub, the Duke of Marlborough on the waterfront in Russell. 😁

• Like 3

If you feel energetic, you can also walk up to the flagpole at Russell for stunning views (maybe before the drink at the Duke of Marlborough 🤣). Russell would definitely be my pick, unless someone particularly wanted a Maori Marae and cultural experience. Russell is a quaint historic township with a quaint old church and graveyard. It's touching reading some of the headstones where whole families and fishermen were lost at sea. The church is known also for bullet holes visible on It's exterior, with some holes still containing the lead bullets. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

If you feel energetic, you can also walk up to the flagpole at Russell for stunning views (maybe before the drink at the Duke of Marlborough 🤣). Russell would definitely be my pick, unless someone particularly wanted a Maori Marae and cultural experience. Russell is a quaint historic township with a quaint old church and graveyard. It's touching reading some of the headstones where whole families and fishermen were lost at sea. The church is known also for bullet holes visible on It's exterior, with some holes still containing the lead bullets. 😀

OK you've got me curious😲, why does the church have bullet holes🥺, I missed that when there.😧

58 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

OK you've got me curious😲, why does the church have bullet holes🥺, I missed that when there.😧

I did some quick and brief research but couldn't find anything more than I already knew, which is just that it was from conflicts between Maori and early settlers. The below pictures show a couple of the holes, one directly below the left side of the window (which I think is the one with the bullet still inside) and another just below and much further along the right side of the window - both on the face of the church facing the roadside. Happy hunting 🙂

Screenshot_20220813-102356_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220813-102429_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Thanks Jean C who would have thought dear old Russell had such rich history.😃

We got talking to a local while having a couple of ales at the pub, and apparently back in the whaling days Russell had a pretty rough reputation, along the lines of The Hell Hole of the Pacific. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 12:56 PM, arxcards said:

Can you still buy Paihia Bombs in Paihia?

We used to buy them the last time I contacted them, they said unable to make them anymore due to not being able to use a particular ingredient.  Such a shame they worked so well.

• Like 2