Hellesylt (Impossible to fully enjoy the Geiranger ?)

Aeroplex

Hello Nordic Cruisers,

this is my first trip to Norway and the first time seeing the Fjords. We are with MSC Grandiosa 3.9-10.9.

Our ship stays in Hellesylt 9:00-19:00. With embark and disembark time the shedule is very tight. 

Some risky cruiser booked the 9:30 ferry to Geiranger => Then the Panorams Bus Tour 13:00 => and the ferry back to Hellesylt 17:00 (quite risiky from my point of view)

So what other option do I have in Hellesylt? Would be happy for some advices ☺️

Thank you 

Aeroplex

Not that many options.  
Previously, the cruise ships had a short technical stop in Hellesylt to drop off guests for excursions before the ship continued to Geiranger.  It seems that some cruise lines have started to save money and drop the trip to Geiranger.  

Possibilities are the ship's excursions or the ferry from Hellesylt to Geiranger.  Normally  a very reliable service, but of course problems and or delays can occur.

link to some options

Edited by hallasm
  • Thanks 1

Thank @hallasm 🙂 

I have one more question regarding Flam. My plan is to take the flam train up to Myrdal and walk back to Flam (without bike or zip line).

On the one hand side we save money, on the other side we can enjoy the nature. 

But I only see a few people doing this ? Is this because of the 20km hike ? 

Would appreciate your opinion here 🙂

thanks

On 8/14/2022 at 1:27 PM, Aeroplex said:

Thank @hallasm 🙂 

I have one more question regarding Flam. My plan is to take the flam train up to Myrdal and walk back to Flam (without bike or zip line).

On the one hand side we save money, on the other side we can enjoy the nature. 

But I only see a few people doing this ? Is this because of the 20km hike ? 

Would appreciate your opinion here 🙂

thanks

It’s not uncommon to walk down, but after the first 5km you’ve already descended to the valley, so you aren’t getting extremely dramatic views. The scenery is full of hills and streams, and it’s rather pretty, but it tends to be more popular with visitors who have more time in the area. Most people choose a Norwegian coastal cruise to visit the fjords, which aren’t visible from the Flåm valley, so they don’t choose to spend the time on the 15km through the valley. A lot of cruise hikers choose the shorter Brekefossen hike instead.

6 hours ago, LEtue said:

Take at look at Norway Excursions.  They offer private and scheduled tours with multiple departures so the 9:30 am trip should work for your schedule

https://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/tour/hellesylt-the-ultimate-panorama-tour-to-geiranger/.

Geiranger was one of our favorite stops, so I would absolutely try to get there if you can do it safely.  This sounds like an excellent plan.  Have a wonderful trip!

On 8/13/2022 at 2:37 PM, Aeroplex said:

Hello Nordic Cruisers,

this is my first trip to Norway and the first time seeing the Fjords. We are with MSC Grandiosa 3.9-10.9.

Our ship stays in Hellesylt 9:00-19:00. With embark and disembark time the shedule is very tight. 

Some risky cruiser booked the 9:30 ferry to Geiranger => Then the Panorams Bus Tour 13:00 => and the ferry back to Hellesylt 17:00 (quite risiky from my point of view)

So what other option do I have in Hellesylt? Would be happy for some advices ☺️

Thank you 

Aeroplex

I'd receommend the ferry to Geiranger, a mooch around the village, and the ferry back.  No need for a panoramic bus tour because the ferry is as panoramic as you could hope for.

I suspect the ship is falling foul of new environmental rules rather than saving money.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 1:53 AM, dsrdsrdsr said:

I'd receommend the ferry to Geiranger, a mooch around the village, and the ferry back.  No need for a panoramic bus tour because the ferry is as panoramic as you could hope for.

I suspect the ship is falling foul of new environmental rules rather than saving money.

The reason was the Geiranger port was occupied by Aida. 

We managed it to book the ferry ticket and get to Geiranger with 3h time 😉