Options from Milan to Ravenna to catch cruise

CountessP

We are flying into Milan, 2 days early, and plan to take a train to Ravenna morning of cruise departure.  I see there are several options and we do not have to be on cruise ship until early evening.  I am wondering if best to purchase train ticket ahead of time or just wait, see what they have, and book then.  My experience in the past has been to wait and purchase there.  But of course, that was years ago. And then cab to cruise ship?  Appreciate info or insight.  Thanks!

The two primary reasons for purchasing train tickets in advance are to avoid being shut out, or to save money.

There's no real risk of being shut out of a train between Milan and Ravenna, so it comes down to a choice between saving some money or having the flexibility make your decision at the last minute.

In this case, every possible routing requires a connection to a regional train, and there are no price discounts on regionals.  The only savings would be on the segment departing from Milan, assuming that segment is a Frecce or an IC train.  Looking at the options, the most you could save would be about ten euro per ticket (about 20%).

As for getting to the ship, RCI has been offering a shuttle (for a fee) from the train station to the port.  

One other gentle warning to using European trains (we assume the OP is already aware).  There is generally no help at the train stations, when it comes to moving your luggage, getting it all aboard, and properly securing (always a good idea) luggage on the train.  Some European trains involve a few steps up...which means you must hoist your own luggage.  If your bags are too large for the relatively low overhead rack, you may need to stash the bags at one end of the car and sit elsewhere.  Hence we suggest that train users, with luggage, take some kind of cable luggage lock so that you can secure all your luggage to something solid on the train (such as a rail at an end of car luggage rack).  Luggage thieves have been known to snatch luggage as a train pulls into a station and jump off the train (with the luggage) before anyone has time to react.  The odds of this happening to you are not great, but this kind of thing does happen...so take precautions and then relax and enjoy the train ride.

Hank

Thanks so much to both of you.  Based on previous experience, and based on the many options shown in schedule, I think we will wait until we get there, still purchasing 2 days before.  Good tip re luggage.  We are hoping to do just carry-on although I am not sure that will happen.  We are traveling with Azamara so I will call to find out if they can provide transport from train.  They are affiliated with RCL so maybe!