Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unfathomable

"Around the island" taxi tours in the Caribbean

We'll be on a one-week SS Caribbean cruise next month. We prefer independent exploration to organised tours, but we are revisiting several ports that we have previously explored on foot (specifically: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Gustavia, St. Bart's; St. John's, Antigua; St. George's, Grenada; Roseau, Dominica; and Basseterre, St. Kitts). Does anybody have experiences to share of taking a taxi independently from the port for a "round the island" tour? Any problems? How was the experience? Was it worth it? Cost? All experiences gratefully received.

I am traveling single now so the ship tours are the best for me. I have done taxi tours with my mother and sister and like them too. But check the drivers English and you probably will not get a running talk from them. In the pass when I wanted to do taxi tours, I made a list of places I wanted to see and showed that to the driver.

LOL back in the 80s my family did a taxi tour of Granda (I think) and the taxi almost made it to the top of a mountain (highest point on the island) when the taxi ran out of gas. The taxi was able to coast down the mountain and finally into a gas station. :p