If You Had A Cold

messymarie

Last May we took a Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. When we were checking in the person checking us in ask if we had a cold in the last two week. When we said no we had to sign a paper stating that we had not had a cold. Has this happened to any other person and why are they asking that?

This may be new questions as now everyone has heard the Bird Flu the one in Chia started is spreading slowly.. Thank goodness they are asking as it will help control the flu now more.:D

:eek:

Last May we took a Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. When we were checking in the person checking us in ask if we had a cold in the last two week. When we said no we had to sign a paper stating that we had not had a cold. Has this happened to any other person and why are they asking that?

I was asked that on the last 2 cruises (Princess and Carnival). I'm thinking that I had to sign a release, as well.

I had assumed that it was for the Norwalk Virus.

If there's one thing that makes me shudder, it's checking in, either to cruise or fly, and having those around me coughing, spitting and sneezing. I feel like I'm entering a "death trap".

*this "weekend and vacation only" smoker says with a long history of bronchitis/pnemonia* :rolleyes:

If there's one thing that makes me shudder, it's checking in, either to cruise or fly, and having those around me coughing, spitting and sneezing. I feel like I'm entering a "death trap".

I feel the EXACT same way, especially when I am stuck on an airplane!

Marie

It's so easy for us to answer this question, sitting here at home on our computers.

But wouldn't it be different if we had just flown into town the previous day to board a cruise and then discovered that we were a bit sniffly the next morning?

Unless they were willing to reimburse people for the cost of the air and cruise, I really doubt anyone would answer honestly. susana.

I don't imagine this has anything whatsoever to do with "bird flu" :rolleyes: .

Questioning of recent illnesses started when NLV became rampant on ships. There was also the SARS outbreak that impacted.

There is a great product that really REALLY works against those pesky germs; it is called Airborne. It works like an alka-selter in water - wait for the fizzing to stop and drink it up! It comes in orange (tang-like) and lemon-lime. You can use it before to prevent or at the first sign of a symptom; just follow the directions. This great stuff was invented/concocted by a teacher. I was a disbeliever until the whole house was down with an upper respiratory infection except me. A friend kept after me until I bought it. Well, long story - short version, it cleared them up when the antibiotics failed and I never got sick! I am never out of Airborne (i keep a spare unopened pack at all times).

healthy, happy sailings!

Get on that Airborne and it will be gone in a few days. The thing is once you feel better keep on a daily done so you stay that way. KK, you might want to get on it yourself so you don't get that cold. When ever i travel now I don't leave without it and I take at least one dose a day maybe two if we have been in an airplane. I can't impress this upon you enough how well this stuff works.

safe seas to you

Get on that Airborne and it will be gone in a few days. The thing is once you feel better keep on a daily done so you stay that way. KK, you might want to get on it yourself so you don't get that cold. When ever i travel now I don't leave without it and I take at least one dose a day maybe two if we have been in an airplane. I can't impress this upon you enough how well this stuff works.

safe seas to you

That sounds like something that I'd like to try, mama. Where might I find it? Thanks :)

WalMart, drug-Mart, Krogers (grocery), Wal-Greens, health food stores, ask for it! I even found it at a medical supply store before it hit the big stores like Wal-Mart. When it was hard to get I would buy 4 packages at a time (10 tablets/doses per bottle). It is an all natural formula. Oh, btw if you swear by Oprah she swears by this --- at least that is where my friend heard of it. I have gotten over 15 people to try this and everyone (not pulling your leg here) was glad they got it. Even my dad who will not take any of the "health store stuff" is hooked. This stuff knocks it out of you and keeps it out!

gentle breezes, smooth sailings, sunny days

No offense meant, but I have tried the mega c routine and the zinc and the zinc snort up the nose and none of it works like this. Somehow this teacher's formula really works.

no sneezes,

coughs,

or wheezes,

just sun,

fun,

and warm breezes

We had to sign a paper stating that we had not had any diahorrea when we boarded the Regal Princess in January in Rio. I don't know what would have happened if we had caught a tummy bug over there, I daresay they wouldn't have let us board.

It would be very hard when one had flown half way across the world and not have been allowed to board.

The same with a cold. When one has to fly to a destination to pick up a cruise ship, it is so easy to catch a cold on a plane with so many people coughing and sneezing.

Jennie

Just thought I might mention that when we travel I take along the Lysol spray and everything gets a spritz. Bed, comforter, pillows, drawers, ect.; we spray it down and then go out for a while on the balcony. Maybe it is all in my mind but None of us has ever picked up a bug. I also encourage the no-rinse hand sanitizer while traveling. Please note I am not a H. Hughes but it seems like when one travels one is exposed to many more people than normal.

sail on calm waters

It's so easy for us to answer this question, sitting here at home on our computers.

But wouldn't it be different if we had just flown into town the previous day to board a cruise and then discovered that we were a bit sniffly the next morning?

Unless they were willing to reimburse people for the cost of the air and cruise, I really doubt anyone would answer honestly. susana.

Exactly. I'm being honest here ... unless I had an infection so bad that I knew my cruise was ruined anyway ... I wouldn't admit to having a cold ... or even to an upset stomach in the past couple of days. Hey, an upset stomach does not mean a virus. It could just be as a result of all that pepperoni pizza I ate last weekend. :)

Seriously, who is gonna admit to having been sick ... perhaps the week before (completely over it now) ... knowing that there is a good chance they are gonna be denied boarding, and receive absolutely no reimbursement of their cruise fare, not to mention related expenses of getting to the port? Certainly not me. And, if you're 100% honest ... certainly not you either.

We are out in the world every day ... stuck on elevators with people coughing, riding on trains and buses with them ... working in offices with others who are hacking ... you name it. It's the same on a ship. You have a good chance of being around some sick people, and possibly catching something yourself. That's life. Accept it or don't cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We have had to sign papers several times in the last couple of years in Ft Lauderdale, San Diego, Vancouver --- most were asking if we had been ill the last few days before arriving at the ship.

On one of our cruises they actually did not allow a couple of people onto the ship because they were very sick when they got there.

I'm with you. I'm not telling anymore. I've never been asked before I boarded about illness but I did have a scary experience on a ship. In December we were on the Explorer of the Seas. We were all fine when we boarded. I didn't think anything of the hand sanitizer stations conveniently located in the middle of most public halls. Anyways on the 2nd night my son Alex (11) had Sea bass for dinner. It was his first time trying fish in a restaurant. At 4:00 a.m. I heard him in the bathroom throwing up. He was sick for about 3 hours and then just tired. This was Tuesday morning. I was convinced it was the Sea bass. I stayed with him in the stateroom most of the day. On Wednesday morning he was weak but a little better. Then I made my fatal mistake. I didn't know about quarantines etc etc. I thought the ship would like to know that the Sea bass may have been bad. I took him to the ships medical facility. He was better by then but what a mistake that was. Reams and reams of forms had to be filled out. And they wanted to quarantine us all. DH and daughter would have been so pleased. Anyways because it had been more than 24 hrs since he had been sick they let us go. Guess what! On Thursday night DH and I got very sick. We told no one. We got off in Grand Cayman and went to the beach. We didn't feel that great but since we had only been sick the night before for 2 hours (both at the same time - it was comical) and the kids needed to get out. We thought the fresh air would be good for us. Anyways I picked up lots of stomach bug drugs in Grand Cayman. The last 2 days were uneventful. Daughter was fine and never got it. I guess it wasn't the Sea bass after all but it certainly made for a less than fun vacation experience. Now by rights i should have stayed in the room but we didn't know until Thursday night that it wasn't the food and by then it was too late to worry. Next cruise I will be a walking drug store and prepared to handle any illness my self. Only broken bones or stitches will get me into the medical facility again. Sorry I'm such a bad person but $7500 vacations are hard to come by.

I think that everyone needs to remember that the number one way to prevent illnesses is to wash your hands really often (and then don't touch areas where germs can enter your system unless your hands are clean-eyes, mouth, nose). When you think about it you're exposed to so many germs - on the hand railings, doorknobs, telephones, etc. We always carry hand santizer with us - and I'm happy to see it around on cruiseships. Even if you've washed your hands before you leave your cabin to eat think about all the things you've and everyone else has touched on your way to the dining venue - elevator buttons, hand rails, etc. That's why we always use the hand sanitizer on the way in to the dining room or our own once seated!

Now by rights i should have stayed in the room but we didn't know until Thursday night that it wasn't the food and by then it was too late to worry. Next cruise I will be a walking drug store and prepared to handle any illness my self. Only broken bones or stitches will get me into the medical facility again. Sorry I'm such a bad person but $7500 vacations are hard to come by.

Disturbing.....

It would never be too late "to worry" and to stay put and not spread Additional germs to everyone else on the ship. IMO

Everyone else's vacation cost them a lot of money as well. Sorry, but I am being honest in my opinion.

I certainly understand about them asking at Check In if you have had stomach upset in the last several days but a cold??? That I'm not sure I understand. Sure, I know that any germ spreads like crazy around a ship, but the common cold being something that would bar you from boarding??? Can someone explain?

When we getting on the Westerdam Jan 2005, besides our signing papers, anyone who looked ill was taken to a special area in the terminal and examined by either a nurse or a doctor. That was the first and only time we ever saw that. And that was when the 2 people weren't allowed on the cruise.

Living and working in the Chicago area it is almost impossible to not get the sniffles during the winter. If the mucous is clear it is a common cold. If the mucous is colorful in any way, accompanied by a fever, then it is an infection of some kind, usually an upper respiratory infection.

I have mold allergies and take my Allegra everyday but I still start out each morning with a few good sneezes. I am not contagious in the least but I do sneeze.

I have have learned, through experience, that carrying simple drugs on any vacation is a good idea. So I have my little pharmacy kit that contains, hand sanitizer, Dramamine, Immodium, Ibuprofin, Alka Selzer, Pepcid, Cordicidin BP and all my regular prescription drugs. Of course I have antiseptic pads and band-aids just in case of a paper cut.

IMO, I always feel that anything can get your stomach upset, from unfamiliar food to over imbiding alcohol. Drinks on shore with ice cubes can also cause stomach distress.

I believe that revneal (previous posting on another thread) had a bad cold just before his cruise on the inauguaral voyage of the Noordam, I wonder how he answered the question?

days628

AArgghhh - it's enough to make a hermit out of the hardiest of folks. I became seriously interested in infection control issues right then and there! And that was *before* I embarked on a career in health care administration.

AArgghhh - it's enough to make a hermit out of the hardiest of folks. I became seriously interested in infection control issues right then and there! And that was *before* I embarked on a career in health care administration.

Yikes! I forgot all about "DR. TRIPS". (???) :)

Archived