Witness to a holiday major disappointment

bobpell

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

That was not my intention.   We have many people here with special knowledge.  Now we know we have someone with the inside scoop on the airports.  I am as happy to have them as I am to have many of our other members who can give added knowledge 

PS additionally an insider would know what is doable from their location.  Remember people read these threads for advice and the clarification that they are an insider helps others judge the quality of that advice 

6 hours ago, Charlene1985 said:

Well I booked this cruise a few months ago and my request for time off was originally approved then reversed.  But hey, I’m one of those airline employees who actually shows up to work to make sure everyone else can get to their destinations instead of calling in sick or claiming to be overworked.  

ALso, not looking for sympathy.  Just explaining that sometimes arriving the morning of isn’t by choice or because of cheapness.  Those of us still working are often covering shifts when our employers are short-staffed.  

Obviously I’ll be flying from Atlanta on 3rd if someone takes my shift.

Why the parents comment?  Was that necessary?   In fact, most of your comment was rude.  

I apologize for the seeming insult.  I should have worded it in the third party and I definiitely was not intending to refer to your parents.

While I agree that arriving on the morning of sailing is not always be choice or because of cheapness, I do disagree that it is not always by choice.  One chooses to proceed with traveling on embarkation day although the reason for doing so is certainly not always their choice.  However, it is within one's choice to ensure that last minute plans do not result in wasted money.  HAL provides two policies which allow cancellation for no reason at the last minute.  I recognize that traveling on a 7:30 a.m. flight from Atlanta provides strong reason to believe that you will make it to FLL in time.  However, responding to one poster's contention that there is no problem, I remind him that Tampa on occasion become fogged-in and flights get delayed.  By the time the delayed flight lands in Tampa, the fog may have cleared and the ship is casting off.  

My point here is that I have little empathy for those who have not take the available precautions to insure themselves against a financial loss due to unforeseen conditions.  That having been said, I hope that everything goes smoothly for you and that you have a great cruise.

Things happen.  We were coming back from our Med/Greece cruise a couple weeks ago, and we boarded the connecting flight from JFK to Florida.  In the process of taking the jetway away from the plane for departure, the jetway rammed into the plane causing damage to the plane.  This ended up in us deplaning and sitting in the terminal waiting for evaluations to see the extent of the damages and  if the plane was fit to fly.  That delayed us for 3 hours.  Fortunately the plane was deemed to be okay and we went on our way.  If it was not and we had to get another plane, who knows when we would have gotten home.  This could happen on any flight.

Never a good idea to fly in on the day of a cruise.

Edited by Native Floridian 26