Some thoughts on how to deal with Service Issues after Post Pandemic, Inflation Period Changes

binro01

Right now the cruise industry as a whole is suffering from a confluence of issues. To briefly outline issues I'm going to point out 3 of the main drivers of the changes we all are experiencing

1. The lines are trying to satisfy the debt payments they need to make for the all the unforeseen debt they had to take on during the pandemic shutdown.
  2. The lines are dealing with staffing issues where a large portion of their trained and experienced staff found other employment opportunities in the hospitality industry around the world while the lines were forced to remain shuttered for an extended period of time. Causing the cruise lines to bring in an abnormally large number of service staff as well as green hospitality managers.
  3. The lines have been forced to deal with an inflationary period that rivals any in recent memory as well as supply side pressures exacerbating costs and quality of goods available.

As an avid cruiser, what I have done in order to combat these pressures the lines are dealing with so that I can enjoy my cruise to the highest level possible and keep my sanity is the following:

1. Loyalty went out the window. I now look for the best perceived value for my cruising dollar. Stability of service is hard to predict, so I can't rely on past experiences right now to make a decision on where to spend my vacation dollar. If Celebrity has a banging deal for an itinerary and timeframe I'm looking to cruise with the amenities I like when cruising (ie Drink Packages, WiFi, decent amount of OBC), Ill book. Same for any line.
  2. When I board a ship, I will on the first night make my rounds to almost every bar. I will try to find a venue that I feel the service staff matches closest to my personality, so that even if there are hiccups, other factors will help gloss over said hiccups. A very personable bartender or server. One that can take visual cues for a new drink is needed.. Etc. Once I find my home, that's where I tend to camp out. Some times, if lucky I might find a couple of locations.. And if really lucky maybe 3 locations, but I have yet to not find one place I can call home on a cruise. Also, I usually always tip an extra buck or 2 when getting a drink for me or both me and my wife. I think this extra "thank you" helps. I understand its not required. I'm blessed that I have the means to show my gratitude. But if throwing around 75.00 in singles over the course of a week removes bumps in the road, I consider it 75.00 well spent.
  3. I go to the dining room and any specialty dining I booked almost immediately after boarding a ship. I ask for the Maitre D' and then ask him or her, who is their waiter that has had the best reviews from past cruisers and ask to have my table at that servers station for my meals. If I'm doing My Time dining, I ask for that waiter by name, if traditional dining I will even give up my 2 person table to be seated with other cruisers, to be waited by a server with good past comments.
  4. I then go to my cabin and try to establish a good relationship with my steward. I even do a little test, where I always ask for something for my room and see how quickly the request is handled. If quick, I tip cash right there for that special request. That usually indicates to them quite quickly that service is appreciated by me and my wife. On embarkation day, many stewards to try to make a great impression, to hope for something extra after a cruise. By catching them when they are trying their best to impress, Usually they all pass the test, and the cash in hand from that quick little test sets the stage. This has yet to not prove useful to me. Hopefully it will help you as well.

So what have all you done recently to combat the industry wide changes? I recently got off a cruise with NCL that we had a wonderful service experience, yet I constantly hear complaints from the facebook groups and roll call threads of poor service. It's like I was on a completely different cruise than the rest of the group. I do understand that most who had great experiences rarely go back and say what a great time they had. It's like you don't want to pour salt in someone's wound, which I get. But I also feel some of my strategies help me achieve a higher caliber of service.

What have all you done to help you have a great cruise? I would love to add to my strategies!