Cruises out of New Orleans

sha308

I DID like the "Cotton's Courtyard" at Gumbo Shop! You dog.:D Speaking of dogs, looking at Blue Dog - I lost my 8 framed Blue Dog prints.... First time I've even thought about them.:(

I thought you might like that courtyard pic.:D Anytime I bring someone new to the GS I tell them that is "Cotton's" Courtyard.

Sorry about the Blue Dog Cotton. :( I have this mental picture of the old dawg sticking up out of a pile of rubble with an expression like "I'll be back". And he (and you) Will be, ya hear !!??

Sorry Meant Mother's But You Know How A Man Thinks. Good Old Mom.

Dan Thanks For The Pics. Drove Down Into Arabi Today And It's A Shame What Has Happen There Too. But You Know What We Were Right Behind The Tail End Of A St.patricks Day Parade And The Spirit Of The People We Saw Is What Made This Trip Worth It.

Among All The Devastation There It Was Still With A Heart Beat. It Might Take A Few Years But The Area Will Be Back.

Your Pics Of The Cat's Meow And The Quarter Should Let The Original Poster Know That Nola Is Here And Here To Stay.

The South Will Rise Again From The Ashes And Destruction Of Whatever Nature Has Brought.

Dean, when we were there yesterday there was a St. Patrick's parade also. We also saw a wedding party walking down Bourbon with a brass band in tow. Willie Nagin was even there with his wife and child. Yes, New Orleans is back !

Yep, Erin Go Bragh(less) in NOLA, with parade and Parasol's Block Party. Bringing NOLA back 1 party at a time!

Gumbo Shop had a branch in Biloxi, but it soulds like it is sitting gutted.

Not sure if Mary Mahoney's ever reopened, think part of it did, but I used to like to go there.

I used to like Annie's in Pass Christian, but I have a feeling it ain't there no more.

I was a bit surprised to see that the S.S. Camille is still sitting across the highway from the Beach. I had expected that she would float off the same way she did when she arrived after Camille.

Hey Cotton...one question I have wondered about.

Next the the Gulfport Grand, they relocated sever huge Oak Trees on the

Beach side and made a park. The spent an incredible amount (I think 100 grand each to move them. Are they still standing?

JB'

• 4 weeks later...
Are Fredrick's and Igor's, both on St. Charles St., open? What about the St. Charles streetcar line?

Here is a list of what is currently open .......

http://www.nomenu.com/restaurantsopen.html

The St. Charles line had infrastructure damage during Katrina but the cars were OK. The Canal Street cars were all flooded but the infrastructure was OK. Sooo, the City transferred the St. Charles cars to Canal . There are currently no streetcars on St. Charles.

I heard this week that Camellia Grill was closing for good, or should I say, not re-opening post-Katrina. That's a shame, hope what I heard isn't true. I've had many a late night burger there, and it's been there for decades. Too bad.:(

Ry

Just curious. If the St. Charles line is out of service, how did they get the streetcars to Canal St.?

Not sure if they were all moved the same way but we did see one being towed on the tracks. The tracks are fine, it's the overhead power lines and generator systems that were damaged.

In reply to the original post on returning cruise ships......Carnival IS NOT returning the Sensation to New Orleans. It will stay in Port Canaveral. It is having serious propulsion problems. They are going to reposition the Fantasy to New Orleans.....All cruises on the Sensation have been switched to the Fantasy and no further paperwork will be required.

In speaking to TA, she says they are highly disappointed that the Conquest is not returning to NO. Also, she tells me that bookings for NCL out of New Orleans are way up - like 75%. There's a good chance that the Jewel will be in New Orleans in 2007.

• 2 months later...
Yep, Erin Go Bragh(less) in NOLA, with parade and Parasol's Block Party. Bringing NOLA back 1 party at a time!

Gumbo Shop had a branch in Biloxi, but it soulds like it is sitting gutted.

Not sure if Mary Mahoney's ever reopened, think part of it did, but I used to like to go there.

I used to like Annie's in Pass Christian, but I have a feeling it ain't there no more.

We were on the Miss. coast again last weekend. Mary Mahoney's did reopen. The coast is a sad thing to see but the attitude of the people there is amazing. They'll be back!

• 1 month later...

Beau Rivage is opening on the gulf coast . I can't wait. It is my favorite getaway from New Orleans with DH. I beleive it is reopening on the one year anniversay of Katrina. There will also apparently be new restaurants to try.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know when this will happen again and if so is anyone brave enough to stay there before cruising?

Being from the area, the French Quarter was the least hardest hit areas and the first back on its feet.

All is well in our city and we are open for business and ready to welcome you all. The Hurricanes are Ice Cold, The food Hot and Delicious and the Ambiance ;)

Archived