Thinking about Zuiderdam next winter-cabin question

twinkletoes4445

We're thinking about squeezing in a cruise next winter (Feb or early March). We've only cruised once, but after looking over HA's schedules, we really like the idea of this cruise (with the stop in Grand Turk). I love to cruise to different islands, and explore a bit, and if we like what we find, we tend to go back later for a land vacation. That's how we fell in love with Grand Cayman, and we're headed back there again in January. I do love the place.

Anyway, with the Deluxe Verandah Suite, are you able to board early and disembark early (when back in port)? I believe I read that you also get priority when leaving the ship in ports, but I am not sure where I found that information. Are there any other things available along this line that I should know about? I'm just trying to sort through this since we've not cruised this line before.

Dear Twinkle,

With the Deluxe veranda suite (S cat.) you will have a separte line to do the pre-board routine (paperwork, seacard).

You will have the oportunity for early disembarkation unless you have transfers via the cruise line to the airport ---in this caes they will call you when it is time for you to leave.

In port you can show your seacard and get on the next available seat for a tender when leaving the ship. i never noticed them being used for priority seating to get back on board (at least we never used it that way).

There are certainly perks that make this cat. suite desirable:

hot/cold hors d's served daily - request on board

laundry/dry cleaning included

breakfast/lunch in the Pinnacle

use of Neptune Lounge (NOT A BAR)

snacks, non-alcoholic drinks (juice, tea, coffee)

breakfast (continental), chocolate, cookies, hors d's

specialty coffee

consierge services - this is wonderful

all paperwork and excursions booked, accounts paid,

check out a video/dvd -

play a game at the big table

read a book

A balcony to enjoy a room service breakfast, lunch or dinner or

just your hot&colds

Great service --- which you will receive no matter what cabin you

choose.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Sunny days, Calm seas, Smooth sailing

There is a reserved station at the pier check-in for prioity boarding for suites.

At the end of the cruise suite pax are able to choose their method of putting out luggage. You may choose the evening-before time or 5-6am the morning of docking. You will get a form to fill out ahead of time to signify your choice. Any passenger may opt to carry their own luggage off after the ship is cleared.

The ship card (ID) is colored differently for suite pax. It has a bronze-gold star embedded in the background. In tender ports other pax must get a tender number before going to the gangway; suite pax may go directly to the gangway and line up there for priority boarding. Coming back to the ship, there are no priorities for getting on tenders that I'm aware of.

In ports where the ship docks, passengers who are on their own just go to the gangway. Ship's tours have meeting areas assigned.

Your suite concierge can guide you through any of these processes. They will even set up a party and send invitations to your guests, arrange shorex, Pinnacle reservations, anything your heart desires, usually, within reason.

GN

Thank you both for all the information. There certainly are a lot of perks for the suites. I'm going to print this off and keep it with my travel info. I do appreciate you both taking the time to sort this out for me. It certainly seems that the extra $$ is well worth it. Now, if we can just settle on a date! :)

There is a very special feel to being a Deluxe Verandah Suite passenger. You really do feel very pampered - more so than on other cruise lines.

Roberta

It does sound wonderful. I am turning 50 this year, so I've decided it's "The Year of Me." :)

They do offer a lot of nice extras with the DS. I was chatting with a TA today, and she said HA will take care of you.

Another question....

We'd like to have breakfast once or twice on our balcony. If we book a suite, will we be able to order breakfast from room service (eggs, bacon, things along that line)?

Room service is available to everyone, and we enjoy our breakfasts on the balcony--if what you want isn't on the hang-tag, you can write it in and if HAL serves it, you should get it...you can also order by phone

Twinkletoes,

There are cards in the cabin that allow you to check off breakfast items. You put the completed menu card on your door before going to bed. You will notice that this menu is abbreviated.

In "S" and "PS" you do not have menu limitations. We call ours into room service in the am, give our order, if something we request is not available they'll tell us but it has never happened at breakfast. Tell them when to deliver, then hop back into bed. The table on the veranda seats 4 and we've even invited friends to breakfast. (they brought the mimosas)..

Make sure to ask for LARGE pots of coffee or you'll get a small that holds about 4 cups. Also be sure to ask for everything individually, including cream and sugar, table service for 2,3 etc. Jam, butter. You need to be very specific.

We had 1 funny happening, asked for 6 slices of bacon and got 6 orders.

Sometimes there are language barriers, but it adds to the fun.

GN

grannynurse...

LOL...6 orders of bacon! That would be a surprise. :)

Thanks for the tips on the coffee (and the other breakfast info). I'm really looking forward to this cruise. I've been reading the threads today, and I believe we are going to have a ball!

I picked up a brochure yesterday, and one thing they mentioned was lunch or breakfast in the Pinnacle restaurant. Is this the regular dining room?

Twinkletoes,

The Pinnacle Grill is HAL's alternative restaurant. Dinner is by reservation only and has a surcharge of $20 pp. The cuisine is Northwest US/ It's a small menu but the food is exquisite, especially the beef. The concierge will make the reservation for you.

On most HAL ships the Pinnacle can be used by suite passengers for breakfast and lunch. The menu is the same that is found in the regular dining room (no charge). They will ask for your cabin number to verify that you are in a suite. Some HAL ships use the king's room for suite pax. You don't have to use these extra venues but they are available. I would suggest that you try it at least once. Your regular dining assignment is for dinner in the dining room.

There are some days on some HAL ships where the Pinnacle is open to all guests for a $10 surcharge. This menu is different.

Suite pax are also invited to the suite cocktail party and suite luncheon. You will find many private invitations to suite functions and services in your cabin .

You will also get a "welcome" bottle of champagne from the Captain and Hotel Manager.

The dining room menu is delivered to suite pax at noon. You may keep it for a souvenir. We take one to the dining room for our waiters to autograph on the last night. HAL's menus are so graphic they are funny at times. On one of our recent cruises our adult daughters gave a dramatic menu-reading every afternoon (with inflections), it provided an afternoon giggle.

Don't bother to take a tote for shopping. HAL gives logo totes to all pax. They appear in your cabin the day before the first port stop.

I'll keep adding as I remember bits of trivial info.

GN

grannynurse....

I can't thank you enough for all the information you have provided for me. I'm printing everything off, and storing it in my "cruise" folder. We are just so excited about this. We did book today. We're in an SA Deluxe just down from the Neptune Lounge.

And thanks to all the other posters...It's just so nice that everyone posted all this info. It makes the decision process so much easier! Thanks... :)

• 2 weeks later...

bruce-r...grannynurse has really provided me with a lot of information...and you are right, more than is in the HAL brochure! :)

Sandy....We are really excited. There were so many reasons why we chose HAL, and one of them was the beds. I also have a feeling that once we have a taste of the "suite" life on HAL, we'll be hooked. We've only cruised one other time, and we did have a balcony, but this cabin looks like it is just going to be amazing. And the perks...wow, is all I can say.

Zuidy is our favorite ship, and I know you'll have a great cruise in a Deluxe Suite! Look in my sig below for links to menus, daily programs and photos.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess <-- booked Zuidy 8; still looking for Zuidy 7

grannynurse....

I can't thank you enough for all the information you have provided for me. I'm printing everything off, and storing it in my "cruise" folder. We are just so excited about this. We did book today. We're in an SA Deluxe just down from the Neptune Lounge.

And thanks to all the other posters...It's just so nice that everyone posted all this info. It makes the decision process so much easier! Thanks... :)

Twinkletoes,

Which cruise did you choose? We're going on the 1/27 in SC 5186 and 5187.

The best suites on the ship! Lucky you!

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

I agree. We had dinner with our cruise mates on Sat. nite and I took your recent posting about those being the deluxe primo suites to show her. They've never been on HAL; I can't wait to see her face when she sees their suite.

Twinkletoes,

Which cruise did you choose? We're going on the 1/27 in SC 5186 and 5187.

We're cruising on 2/3/07 (Zuiderdam Eastern). We're in cabin 7063. Now if February would just hurry up and get here... :)

We hope there will be other CC members sailing with us!

Ohhhhh....your cabins are the big ones at the back of the ship. I'd like to try those on our next cruise. I think those have the loungers on the verandah...I believe ours have the regular chairs...which will be fine...but the loungers would be wonderful!

Archived