HAL's Platinum Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP) & your own Travel Medical Insurance

CH_ca

Hi, I'm thinking of buying HAL's Platinum CPP that has $10,000 Emergency Medical Coverage AND I'll also have my own Medical Travel Insurance (with $0 deductible). My own insurance policy said if I have coverage elsewhere, the other party needs to pay first. But according to the excerpt below, HAL will not pay if my own insurance is $0 deductible.

Should I make my own insurance policy $10,000 deductible so that HAL will pay the first $10,000 if I file a claim?

I'm so confused. Maybe I misinterpreted the whole thing. 😕 Could someone who knows these insurance terms well give me some guidance? Thanks!

image.thumb.png.89b47fc5349bff690f636d111e2b175a.png

If your own insurance is going to pay 100%, why are you concerned that the CPP should pay anything?  Our BCBS pays the entire amount of our medical treatment throughout the world, including on ships, so I have never seen the need to submit the bills, pursuant to the HAL's CPP plan.  The only reason that we buy a CPP plan is for CFAR.  The only other insurance we carry is med-evac because the CPP plan only allow for $50,000.  I don't think that amount would get us back from the Caribbean.  We don't need medical insurance and don't buy the CPP for that.

Thanks for your reply. I buy the Platinum CPP for cancellation coverage and other reasons. It seems redundant to have 2 policies to cover the first $10,000 of medical expense. Also, from the wordings of both policies, they will push the responsibility to each other for the 1st $10k claim. If HAL already covers $10k, and if I can increase the deductible of my insurance to $10k, I can save about 30% premium from my own policy. I'd like some advice to see if I'm thinking this wrong. 🙂