What about formal night for Women??

cruz4us2

A nice coctail dress or even a dressy skirt and top will be formal enough.

I normally wear a black skirt with a silk dressy top for 1 night and a different top for the other night. I have in the past taken the long formal gowns to wear but they are cumbersome to pack and not that comfortable to wear.

Now I just relax and make it simple.

From my experience (and I have not been on an Alaska cruise) formal night on Celebrity is well...Formal. Men in Tuxes and women in gowns or long skirts with beaded and sparkly tops and nice jewelry.

I've been packing long dresses in the new knits of poly/rayon/spandex. They don't wrinkle and fold up pretty small and so are easy to pack. You may want to check the Cruise Fashions forum where you are bound to get a lot of tips.

Enjoy your cruise.

Formal night is a little less formal in Alaska. A long black skirt and fancy tops are fine. You will be surprised how a long skirt will make a blouse with a little glitter seem formal.

I bought a long black skirt when I took my first 12 night cruise (3 formal nights). Now I only need one pair of shoes and 3 different tops. The formal nights generally get less formal as they go along. On my Celebrity cruise to the Mediterranean last year only about 1/4 of the men wore tuxedos, although they all wore suits.

Secret - most people don't look that closely at what you are wearing unless you dress totally inappropriately. If you want to wear the same dress twice, wear a scarf wrap one night. No one will care.

Enjoy your cruise,

Ellen

Remember, Celebrity is one of the dressiest of all cruiselines.

Formal is formal but like the previous person I have not been on an Alaskan cruise.

I find that the ladies do like to dress up but the first time I cruised after many years I had one long dress and a short black cocktail and this was for a 7 night cruise.

Now I wear long for all the formal and semi formal for the other nights except the first and final night. This is really because over the past 2-3 years I am always looking at evening wear and if you keep your eyes open you may be like me and find some bargains in the sales.

I have black evening trousers and these could be worn with a dressy top.

I realise that if this is your first cruise then you may not want to spend a lot in case you would have no use for them again. Believe me you will cruise again.

Happy holiday

O.K. I have been to Alaska on Celebrity just this last year and yes there were tux's and long gowns but mostly women wore cocktail dresses, dressy pants suit. I had a dressy pant outfit and on the 2nd formal nite I switched the top a sort of sequin top. At our table one women wore a dressy suite. So a short nice dress will do just fin.

marilyn

A little balck dress is all you need and if you don't have that pick anything nice and add a little black jacket and bling, you're ready. Don't stress about it, make it fun. It doesn't even have to be long if you don't have that just dress up and ENJOY yourself. You're efforts will be appreciated as the waiters and staff are always elegantly attired to serve YOU and seem pleased when the guests dress too.

I agree with everyone else. I have a long black skirt & a pair of black dress slacks (they both don't wrinkle) and just wear dressy tops with them. I do always take one long formal (hey, its fun to dress up) and I always wear the dressy formal the 2nd nite and save the others for the other formal nites. Watch the web sites for sales. Even really fancy clothes you can get a real bargain in the outlet section. Evening dresses are drastically reduced.

Count me also in the nice dress/dressy pantsuit camp. Just bought a nice NEW black dress for the upcoming Galaxy cruise, with (gulp) THREE formal nights ... for one of the others, I will wear my classic black beaded jacket and black flowing cocktail pants ... still looking for outfit #3! We've been to Alaska twice, California-Mexico coastal cruise once, Caribbean three times, I have never felt underdressed ... there is the occasional gowned gal who looks like a million bucks, I feel pretty comfy "only" looking like $10K or so :) ... TR

Archived