Binoculars and umbrellas

johnnyd

11 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

All I know they worked perfect for our last 3 cruises. I find 10X to be too weak and I have no problems with movement or blurring with the 20X power.. The 25 works fine for me in lower light situations. You can keep yours and I will continue to use and recommend mine. BTW mine are 200% better than the junk HAL provides in their cabins.

Clearly they work for you, which is why I mentioned that fact. However, having had to study binocular design and specifications, and having used them on the Bridge for 40 years, I'll suggest my experience is a little greater than 3 cruises.

A few years ago, while managing a Req for Proposal to replace the fleet binos, I was provided with numerous samples, one of which was Swarovski 20x, for a few months evaluation. They were by far the best quality, but all my Masters and officers marked it down as being too powerful for use on the Bridge.

You may continue to recommend them, but based on my experience of using numerous binoculars at sea, better options are available, especially for casual users. 

2 minutes ago, highscar said:

Do you think these treasures would do?

IMG_1436.jpeg

IMG_1436.jpeg

Those look like a set I have! They had belonged to my mother's father, who (IIRC) had them from the Boer War. If not that war, then from WWI. 
Haven't thought of them in years. I think they are gathering dust on a closet shelf. 

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Ruth. I don’t know much about them except they were in the family  for generations . I keep them in a curio cabinet. 

Generations in my case, too. IIRC the Boer War was 1898, or so. It was a Canadian regiment, fighting for the British, of course. 

3 hours ago, highscar said:

Do you think these treasures would do?

Looks like a good case, so provided they aren't dropped or hit, binoculars can last for years. Some of my first ships had similar types of binoculars, although probably not as old as yours.