Dinner waitlisted 199 and autistic, what now?

PrincessDreams4P&B

I have been speaking to my son's doctor about our upcoming trip in October. I was worried that there would be too many "new" things for my son and that with his autism, he might react poorly and have a hard time. My doctor assured me that he thinks my DS will be fine, but also cautioned me to keep as much as I can, the same and on schedule. So with that being said, I double checked our ressies and saw that we were on for Personal Choice Dining, which was not what I had told our TA. I called Princess and they said that there is a waitlist for First seating and that we are number 199. I know that you can call ahead on the Personal Choice and reserve a table with the same server but what happens if it is not available? Autistic children simply cannot understand these things and I don't want him to have a bad night and then take all of the next day to recover from it. Then again he could be fine, it is a gamble but when it comes to my son I am not a betting girl.

I am worrying that maybe we should cancel the cruise, that it may be too much but we have never been away like this before and my DH, 2 DS and I need this. Am I freaking out unnecessairly?

Any advice on how to handle this?

Thanks so much in advance

We have sailed the Caribbean Princess 6 times and have never eaten in the dining room with the exception of luncheon with the Captain as we are among the most traveled............we prefer the Cafe Caribe, the food is wonderful, surrounded by windows, and you have the opportunity to sit at the same table every meal if you like............we met new friends on the last trip, last week, that were not real pleased with the choices of food in the dining room so they went with us to the Cafe and were thrilled, said next time they cruised they would also dine there every nite..........

a very good alternative for you.

Happy sailing.....we understand your situation, we have a grandson with form of autisum, he has aspergers...........happy sailing.

I have been speaking to my son's doctor about our upcoming trip in October. I was worried that there would be too many "new" things for my son and that with his autism, he might react poorly and have a hard time. My doctor assured me that he thinks my DS will be fine, but also cautioned me to keep as much as I can, the same and on schedule. So with that being said, I double checked our ressies and saw that we were on for Personal Choice Dining, which was not what I had told our TA. I called Princess and they said that there is a waitlist for First seating and that we are number 199. I know that you can call ahead on the Personal Choice and reserve a table with the same server but what happens if it is not available? Autistic children simply cannot understand these things and I don't want him to have a bad night and then take all of the next day to recover from it. Then again he could be fine, it is a gamble but when it comes to my son I am not a betting girl.

I am worrying that maybe we should cancel the cruise, that it may be too much but we have never been away like this before and my DH, 2 DS and I need this. Am I freaking out unnecessairly?

Any advice on how to handle this?

Thanks so much in advance

I also have a son with AS/HFA. I have always found that once you explain to any person of authority your situation, they always go out of their way to help you. I am sure if you just explain the situation there should be no problem. Last cruise my son had no problem, and no you are not freaking out. Austism is nothing to not be prepared for when traveling. Our children need every extra bit of normality and confort we can afford them. I have never been told no, once I have explained our situation.

Have a great time.

Nancy

I cruised alone with my twin one-year-olds with no dining assignment and had the same concern about schedule, but I just figured I'd take them to the buffet every night. When the maitre d' heard my plan, he immediately arranged for a standing reservation for me in one of the Personal Choice dining rooms. Every night at 5:30 we showed up and our table was ready with the two high chairs, milk and bread sticks for my girls. They did absolutely EVERYTHING they could to accomodate us (including taking our order each night for the next night so that we wouldn't have to wait long, and offering to send me a tray when we had to leave once because of a fussy baby). I believe, based on my experience on the Sapphire, that you will be well cared for.

Have a wonderful trip.

Best,

Mia

I cannot begin to explain how helpful everyone has been. I am sure that there are many more families like us, who are thinking about taking a trip but are scared and thinking is this right for us? I plan on incorporating so many of these ideas into our trip. I plan on posting an travel report when we return. I hope it encourages other families to go on a cruise. Please keep the great ideas coming and I will let everyone know what happens with our "waitlisting"...My husband said we should print off t-shirts that have #199 on them for the cruise.. he keeps walking around the house saying " We're 199, we're 199 ( like you were chanting we're number 1) he has a very.."different" sense of humor but we love him

I'm sure you're right about other families being so concerned about traveling that they don't do it. Everyone told me I was nuts going on a trip alone with my toddlers, but I knew from past experience with Princess that since they are so service-oriented, we would have a good time. I had expected only to be well tolerated, but instead we were treated like queens. I'm glad you're taking the plunge - it will be a wonderful trip for all of you.

Best,

Mia

Maybe you can add velcro to those t-shirts as it may change by October. But as others have said, have your TA contact the access department. Tell them if you need a table off in the corner or near the front, etc. Be specific so that when you get to the dining room, you won't have to move around or wait for the maitre'd to find people willing to switch.

It sounds as if traditional dining would be best for you, with the same table, the same time, the same waitstaff.

As I and others have said many times, if passengers want traditional dining, they should be able to get it. Even if a Anytime DR has an area cordoned off at a certain time. Princess can't call it Personal Choice Dining, if passengers can't get the type of dining they want to chose.

Not to worry, here is what we always do. We go the first night, my wife and I like a table for 2. We eat around 5:45 and if we like our arrangements the first night we stop and speak to the Head Waiter as we are leaving and make a standing reservation. Never had a problem, never!

In fact last cruise we did not take to the first waiter and came back the second night and had a different table, loved the waiter and made our standing reservation at that table. Really you should be fine.

Have fun!:)

I'd not lose another minutes sleep about not being confirmed for traditional seating. Just plan on seeing the maitre'd the first day on the ship, trust me he will fix you up and it won't cost you a thing. Check the Platter as soon as you get to the cabin, it should tell you what time and dining room where he will be meeting with folks who think they have problems with their arrangements. On our last cruise there were nine of us confirmed with late seating and supposedly at one large table. When we checked our table number (it will be printed on your cruise card) we discovered they had split us up, 6 at one table and 3 at another. When I spoke with the maitre'd he simply found a table for 10 in one of the PC dining rooms and made us a standing reservation for 800pm there each night. We never had to wait, the table was always ready and waiting for us. Our wait staff even removed the extra chair for us each night.

Archived