Formal Night Menu Available from Room Service?

I'm sure this is answered somewhere but I couldn't get the search function to work.

We are on a 9 night Explorer cruise and assume there will be at least 2 formal nights. We've been on several DCL cruises and have always dressed up for dinner. We really want a much more laid back vacation this time and the thought of getting 5 of us ready for a formal dinner isn't high on my list.

I wouldn't consider going to the dining room if I weren't dressed for formal night but really like the dinner options on the menus I've seen. Am I able to order from the dining room menu with room service? Do they serve the same basic menu in Windjammers and the dining room? On DCL if you are in a cat 1 or 2 you can order from Palo (their specialty restaurant). If you are in the Royal suite are you able to do the same from Portofino?

On larger ships like the Explorer, you can view the available room service nightly offerings on your TV; and though some things from the dining room menu are available, not all are. Say, 3 out of 5 of the appetizers, and a like number of desserts and entrees. Similarly, the Windjammer has many of the items from that's night menu on hand. They will have a whole prime rib and be slicing it; but they won't have escargot in the warming trays.

Perhaps others have had luck getting pretty much anything off the dining room menu from room service, particularly in suites...?

I think they pick things that will 'travel' well; lobster not being one of them. Or maybe it's a price point thing; you're not likely to waste 10 lobster tails in the dining room, but kids could order that many through room service if they were on the menu.

Just remember, if you order room service for any meal, think ahead of time of ANYTHING you might want with it. Things like butter, salt, milk for coffee, salad dressing, etc; they won't arrive unless you specifically ask for each item.

Archived