Oh no clothing news

ChuckLL

Hi, my name is Chuck and I'm a blue jeans wearer. Yes, I know, even the thought sends chills, terror, and loathing through your body, but fear not there is a change blowing in the evening breeze. (Don't get too excited. It's not that BIG of a change). Today my dear wife came to me and did something that was absolutely revolutionary. She looked me in the eyes and said, "My sweet, darling husband who I adore and respect without measure (she really didn't say that part, but I could see it in her eyes), would you mind dressing up one night on our cruise?" Naturally, I lied and told her that I didn't mind and would dress up for her. What else could I do? I mean, if you can't put a noose around your neck for your wife, who can you put a noose on for? Oops, I meant a tie not a noose. Sorry. Then I began to remember something...

By the way, if you are prone to getting bored to tears you may want to just skip this section.

My wife got married very young to her first husband. They got married in the courthouse. It didn't last very long. She swore she'd never get married again. Then she met me. I sent her flowers. I wrote her poetry. I even asked her to marry me with a poem. (The proposal was a bit more clever than it sounds). I changed her mind about marriage, and she decided that she'd like to have what she'd never had: a nice wedding. Nothing fancy and huge. Just intimate and classy. The problem was that every idea she came up with her mother was against. She picked bridesmaids. Her mother vetoed them. She picked dresses. Her mother vetoed them. On and on it went. Each time we saw each other she would complain about the situation. I finally explained to her that she could continue to let her mother run the show OR she could tell me what she wanted and I would foot the total bill OR we could just run off, find a preacher, and get married. We, two fully grown adults, ended up basically eloping. So she missed out on her wedding and all of those wedding pictures which brings me back to the present....

The way I see it is that if I have to wear a noose (darn, I mean a tie) I may as well go all out. I can blow less then $100 on ebay and find a nice tux, wear it to formal night, and get some nice photos. No, they wouldn't be photos of our wedding, but I figure it would be the next best thing. Here's where the problem comes in. Unlike me, blue jean king that I am, my wife has some nice clothes. If I were to just were a regular suit and noose (shoot, I mean a tie), her clothes would be perfectly fine, but I began to worry that if I wore a tux it may "over power" her otherwise perfectly fine clothes. With that in mind I began searching the internet for dresses. I finally found an online discount store that had some excellent looking (atleast to me) evening gowns. The prices were also extremely good compared to others that I had seen. They ranged from $160 to $200. Granted, the quality may be so bad that they fall apart when taken to the cleaners, but who cares. All I care about is it lasting for that one night. Anyway, I showed them to my wife. She liked them UNTIL I told her the price. She said, "no". My question is this: do I do what men have done for centuries and just ignore her; say, "she's a women, what does she know"; then buy the dress? Or do I concede to her wishes?

This brings us to my negotations (especially with imsulin). If I blow the bucks on this tux AND a pair of Dockers, wear the tux on formal night and the Dockers another night, would you let me get by wearing blue jeans (clean with no tears) on the first and last night and a pair of black jeans (only worn once) on the remaining night without thinking of me as too big of a louse?

A few notes.

You can actually rent a tux onboard for $75 and avoid having to drag one around. I saw tuxes a few nights.

Dockers are quite comfy, really. And with an less than $100 blazer can make things look just fine.

Dark bluejeans might not even be noticed. If you then do like some we saw and have a t-shirt or holes in the jeans or big flashy boots, then you might get noticed. Clean shaven, brushed hair and nice shirt will usually wave off the jeans.

Good luck and congrats to your and your bride.

Alaska via Spirit 6/2/04

You sound like a true gentleman to me. How refreshing! Wish there were more men out there like you. You could sail with me anytime. I don't go to judge others or what they are wearing. I am there to enjoy all I can in a short amount of time.

Check out Ebay or shop Dillards or other high end stores for formals on sale. I bought $255 dress for $50 and saw somebody buy off ebay for $25-$30.

Keep watching the board, people post links all the time for formal wear sights.

Valor 10/30/05 Miracle 2/13/05

Sensation 10/04

Conquest May 2003

Holiday Sept 2002

Inspiration 2001

Celebration 2000

Crown Princess 1999

Oceanic (Big Red Boat) 1998

Days til Sensation Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

saintsinners.gif

Days til Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hdawson:

You can have your tux shirt laundered and pressed if needed for the second formal night.

icon_biggrin.gif Glad you're thinking of your sweety.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Second formal night?!?! LOL. Come on now, you guys have got to meet me half way here.

My vote is also for "buy the dress".

Great story!!!

As for the jeans ... I think most people wouldn't notice the black jeans, but the blue jeans would possibly bring a frown. Com'on now, your going all out to get the tux and purchase your wife a new gown, it wouldn't hurt to just wear the dockers. While I love the idea of a tux, if my DH said "tux & jeans" or "suit and dockers", no doubt about it... I'd pick the suit (and my DH wears a suit to work everyday - so a tux would be special).

Good luck with your decision - keep us posted.

Kath

1/05 It's a ...Miracle Cruise ... And NYE in Epcot!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;1;2;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500outtosea_miracle.gif

...a true blue spectacle,a miracle come true.

a-angel.gif

NCL Seaward 1/96

Carnival Pride 12/02

Carnival Miracle 1/05

You sound a lot like my husband! He doesnt like to dress up either. He feels that he's "on vacation" and doesnt feel that dressing up is important...

I've managed to talk him into dressing up for at least one formal night.

In answer to your question, I think wearing a pair of nice jeans and dressing them up with a nice shirt and jacket wouldnt be out of line.

It's really sweet of you trying to find your wife a new dress. The only bad thing about ordering online is you dont know how that dress will fit, and sometimes the vendor will charge you a re-stocking fee. (It happened to me). Take your wife out shopping for a new dress, she'll love you for it!!

Have a wonderful cruise you two!!

13_1_103.gif

Lorrie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;31;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Official Countdown to Conquest!

Paradise 9/03

Pride 9/02

Fantasy 5/00

Sensation 3/97

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cmez:

It's really sweet of you trying to find your wife a new dress. The only bad thing about ordering online is you dont know how that dress will fit, and sometimes the vendor will charge you a re-stocking fee. (It happened to me). Take your wife out shopping for a new dress, she'll love you for it!!

Have a wonderful cruise you two!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've actually thought about taking her somewhere to buy, but there really are no stores nearby that carry formally wear that is any where near reasonably priced. Plus, I went on a dress shopping trip with her once before and made a deal with God: if He'd let me survive that trip I would not make the same mistake twice.

I'm also slightly concerned about the sizing issue; however, my mom is quite the seamstress. She's sitting at home with an industrial sewing machine, an industrial surger <sp>, and time on her hands so I HOPE that she can handle any alterations if I make the buy.

Dad Gum it I just don't get it, I have never seen so many so called men who hate getting dressed up for a special occasion to please their significant other. Yes I know we are on vacation, but I actually enjoy getting dressed up for my wife, makes me feel good too. Maybe I am just getting to dad blame old, but I still hold some values. I am not dissin anyone who doesn't wan't to dressup for Formal Night but please do this old soldier a favor, please wear your designer jeans to the buffet and not spoil my fantasy of being someone who I am not, for at least one evening of my life. Please excuse all the spelling and grammatical mistakes as I have had one to many jello shots tonight and also I am jealous as my daughter Cyt4Soreeyes is in Las Vegas having a wonderful time and I am stuck here in Gods Country, that would be Pensacola, FL, The absolutely greatest place to live in the whole wide world. Yes I am a died in the wool GATOR FAN, but I sure do miss Da Coach. You Know fellows its not such a big deal to please your wife by dressing up, just think of all the things she does for you the year round. Just do it, you may actually enjoy it. Besides, that she probably deserves it for putting up with you all year. I know my does. Well now that I have probably upset most of the Macho men in the world, I will cease and desist. Gator Man

OK, I got on your case about the jeans. Now I'll get on your case about copping out.

And since you're copping out anyway, you might as well do it both formal nights. You wuss.

icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Just kiding

Dan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dan40:

OK, I got on your case about the jeans. Now I'll get on your case about copping out.

And since you're copping out anyway, you might as well do it both formal nights. You wuss.

icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Just kiding

Dan

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't but so much of a hangin a man can stand. icon_biggrin.gif

Serously though, she's a bit leery of ships so it took a lot to get her to agree to this cruise so I have no problwm suffering a bit for her pleasure. If she were to ask for two nights, I'd give her two nights. I'm just not going to volunteer that info to her. icon_razz.gif

Now if I can somehow overcome her fear of flying I may be able to go on that trip to England I've been wanting for the last several years.

Hi Chuck. Try a seller on ebay called THETUXXMAN. He is a great seller and has nice stuff at great prices. Get a classic style and it will last you for the rest of your life. No sense in wasting good money on a rental, when you can buy one for only a little more.

11/27 Carnival Glory Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Glory 11/03

Sovereign of the Seas 5/01

Paradise 10/00

The Big Red Boat 5/98

Emerald Seas 3/90

Perhaps if there is a consignment store in your area your wife may find something that fits both budget and 'formal dressing'. I live in a small town and usually go by 'if you can't find it at the local grocery you don't need it...but we do have a great consignment store that carries formal(a favorite is a Jessica McKlintoc (sp...too lazy to go upstairs and look at the label) and another I picked up for $20.00 at Ross's in the larger town off the hill....Good Luck...and have fun!

I sure am not wussing oout, I always wear my Tuxedo, regardless what ever one else wears. Hey if you want to go to the rodeo on any Carnival ship and wear your Jeans go right ahead that is your right. I am not going to fight this fight anymore. I will wear my Tuxedo or suit, and feel really swell about it. You do what ever makes you feel good , you paid for it. Some of us feel good about dressing up because, we don't always get a chance to in our jobs. Do what ever you want to, just think about our soldiers, who are doing their dead level best to serve this country, think they would like to have our choice in life rather than get shot at. Me thinks so. Gator Man

I feel your pain my brother!! Im the same way, I wore a sports coat, polo shirt, dockers and deck shoes and was fine (not out of place)on formal night and wore docker and polos on other nights, forget the noose, if you really want to do up formal night, check the prices of a rental tux on board.

Chuck, if you were from Illinois I'd swear my hubby had posted your dilemma. We eloped, and he is a true bluejeans wearer. He said he'd never go on a cruise, and we leave in November! He has sort of gotten in the spirit of things since we decided to cruise. He's not renting or buying a tux, but went with a charcoal gray suit that can be worn to weddings, funerals, etc. I am buying the rest of his "cruise wardrobe" with consideration of his usual tastes. As far as my evening wear, I'm going to a local Saks outlet, TJMaxx, Dillard's after-prom sale, or wherever I can find a dress that fits that's under $50. I'll probably spend more on shoes to go with the dress than the dress itself!! icon_razz.gif Hubby is tolerating this because one of his best friends is going on the cruise and is wearing a tux! Isn't peer pressure great at the age of 50!? It's great that you're so considerate of your wife's feelings. Hope you have a great time!!

Can't wait to sail on the Conquest 11/14

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;11;14;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Back from the Legend last week and I was surprised at how many men were wearing blue jeans. So in my opinon go ahead and wear them. Remember,not every cruiser reads these boards (gasp) and therefore is not aware of how people have strong opinions against jeans. Enjoy your cruise.

Laura

chuck.........Now that proms are over and most June bridesmaids already have their dresses....Places like Dillards carry very nice formals for fantastic prices. But PLEASE don't wear the blue jeans icon_razz.gif

Cheryl

Sensation - July 1st, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Legend - THANKSGIVING - Nov. 19th, 2004..20th anniversary

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle Spring Break, March 20th, 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE.........3/05

LEGEND.........11/04

SENSATION.....7/04

GLORY............3/04

SENSATION.....1/04

SENSATION...10/03

GLORY............7/03

SENSATION.....7/03

INSPIRATION..11/02

PRIDE.............7/02

FANTASY.......10/01

FANTASY.......10/00

FANTASY........8/00

SENSATION.....6/00

DOLPHIN IV.....3/00

FANTASY........9/99

Should you feel strongly about wearing your BLACK jeans to the dining room, I would suggest the first night. A lot of people don't get their luggage before it's time to dress for dinner so it's definately the most casual of any of the nights. Just my humble opinion though.....and as for the dress, buy one for her for sure! But honestly, if you do some shopping you can find gorgeous stuff on clearance after New Years or Spring Proms. Just shop your finer, upscale department stores. I have bought SEVERAL formals for under $50.

pammyhound.gif

Atom.gif

GROUP BOARD FOR ROYAL HOUNDS ON CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 9/17/05

PRICING & BOOKING INFO FOR CARIBBEAN PRINCESS

Group board for the Royal Hounds 9/19/04

For pricing and booking info click:Royal Hounds

Miracle 2/13/05, Royal Hounds 9/19/04, Conquestadors 1/11/04,

Glory Hounds 9/13/03, Triumph 1/03, Fascination 5/02

royalsmallwide.gif

If lifes a beach... then I want to cruise there!

icon_cool.gif....some of these men sound as if they were just shipped over here from a third world country....cmon now....leave the jeans at home and develop shopping skills and go buy yourself some proper cruising clothes....lack of money is sooooo not ever a valid excuse...you can find dockers at your local thrift store for 5 bucks a pair....im thinking even a homeless Joe could afford that....and whats with the attachment to jeans anyways?....not like they are the most comfy things......men can be seriously lame creatures when it comes to fashion..............same thing goes for the girlies....put forth some effort and make a trip to a Dillards or Kohls and try not to let the clearance signs bite you in the arse when you enter.....you can find happening dresses clearanced down from $200 plus to less than $30..... there are no excuses for dressing like a bag lady on a cruise.....turn on ur tv at home and watch a few make over shows for tips on dressing........lets try and keep cruising one notch above going to ur local Dennys to dine icon_cool.gif

I dressed in a tux for one of our cruises. I have to dress business like for work and it's not something I want to do outisde of work.

She wants me to wear a tux again for our Glory cruise because she says I look great in it...but I don't feel great. So I told her to just look at the pictures from the cruise when I was wearing one....she found no humor in that...LOL Anyway my 16 yr old son and myself are both going to rent tuxes for the next one.

Hmmmm...maybe something special will come my way...<snicker>

Rocky

Not enough time for crusin'!

Days Until Paradise on the Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2005;4;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Disney Magic 8/1998

Destiny 6/1999

Sensation 2/2000

Grand Princess 7/2000

Victory 2/2001

Pride 2/2002

Imagination 2/2003

Glory 4/2005

E-Mail - Rockee40@adelphia.net

Originally posted by ChuckLL:

The prices were also extremely good compared to others that I had seen. They ranged from $160 to $200. Granted, the quality may be so bad that they fall apart when taken to the cleaners, but who cares. All I care about is it lasting for that one night. Anyway, I showed them to my wife. She liked them UNTIL I told her the price. She said, "no".

This is an awful lot to spend on a dress on ebay, Chuck. Is it the price they show as the original manufacturer's price ? I've bought excellent formal dresses from:

http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=evalueville

prices have always been under 50.00.

Would you consider renting a tux once to see how it suits you? (No pun intended icon_wink.gif )

My DH wears a very dark blue, almost black, jacket and changes shirt, tie, slacks for formal nights. It works out great without spending a fortune on clothes.

It's sweet that you're thinking of your wife, you are lucky to have found each other! icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your decision.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ms Belvedere:

This is an awful lot to spend on a dress on ebay, Chuck. Is it the price they show as the original manufacturer's price ? I've bought excellent formal dresses from:

http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=evalueville

prices have always been under 50.00.

Would you consider renting a tux once to see how it suits you? (No pun intended icon_wink.gif )

My DH wears a very dark blue, almost black, jacket and changes shirt, tie, slacks for formal nights. It works out great without spending a fortune on clothes.

It's sweet that you're thinking of your wife, you are lucky to have found each other! icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your decision.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, if I wasn't clear enough. No, the dress was not from ebay. I really didn't see anything on ebay that thrilled me for her. The dress is from an online discount retailer. The regular list price was $400 I believe.

lol. And contrary to what it may seem, I have on multiple occassions noosed myself up in a tux. icon_smile.gif

Maybe someone can explain how a guy who says he loves his wife so much and how lovely she dresses and how classy she's going to look would want to negate everything's she's achieving with her dress by wearing jeans?

If she were my wife and I loved her so much, I'd want to enhance her and show respect for the way she looks on formal night by at least giving the impression that we're together as a couple and how we complete eachother.

Going on a cruise with 2 formal nights as a vacation is not the same as going on a camping trip vacation. Suits, ties, gowns and a tux is not required on camping trips. Yet they're BOTH vacations...imagine that! LOL

Archived