How are the Swans doing 2024?

Now wasn't that a game showcasing the best and worst of Aussie Rules?  The first quarter was like watching a group of Under 12s but then from the bouncedown of the 2nd quarter, it was on like donkey kong and that last quarter, OMG!, I was not even on the edge of my seat but balanced on burning quads crouching in front of the telly.  It was beyond exciting. Now only 6 more sleeps...........

Poor Oscar McInerney,  not only will he miss out on every kid's dream but he'll likely have arthritis in the shoulder for the rest of his life.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Now wasn't that a game showcasing the best and worst of Aussie Rules?  The first quarter was like watching a group of Under 12s but then from the bouncedown of the 2nd quarter, it was on like donkey kong and that last quarter, OMG!, I was not even on the edge of my seat but balanced on burning quads crouching in front of the telly.  It was beyond exciting. Now only 6 more sleeps...........

Poor Oscar McInerney,  not only will he miss out on every kid's dream but he'll likely have arthritis in the shoulder for the rest of his life.

Yesterday afternoon we watched via the local radio station FB page, the streaming of the local GF at Warrnambool which had two Warrnambool teams playing - South and North. My Dad had played for South and is a life member. My brother took Dad and they were given a prime spot to park the car so Dad had a good view of the game. The wind unfortunately played havoc and it was a really low scoring affair. South Warrnambool ended up winning by a point. The last quarter seemed to go for ever, so we were on the edge of our seats. It was such a relief when the siren went. 

Our son, son in law and two grandsons went to the G for the prelim final - three barracking for the Lions and one for the Cats. Younger grandson is a Lions' member and is waiting to hear if he was successful in the ballot for a GF seat. Both son and SIL are MCC members. Son was successful in their ballot for a GF seat so he is pleased he won't have to join his BIL at the crack of dawn to join the line outside the members to get a seat.  

I feel so sad for Oscar McInerney. How disappointing for him. When they showed him heading off to hospital he looked as if he was in a fair bit of pain. 

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

As I am of a certain vintage, and I remember both teams from their roots. I am hoping for a close game and slightly favouring the SMFC.

Fitzroy image.jpeg.4ed70d05a8bb7904d04dd9e75fe5fef7.jpeg and South Melbourne. image.jpeg.736d14b7248932fa7ba003a3e85fc845.jpeg

It is really twisted history as to how they got to be called the Swans. 

Whichever way, go Sydney, South Melbourne, Swans. Go Bloods!

• Like 1

Now for today's conundrum; who'll take Charlie home tonight - Daicos?  Cripps?  Bontempelli?  Not poor Isacc Heeney I'm afraid 😭.  And an even more intriguing conundrum, will the WAGS wear underwear?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Now for today's conundrum; who'll take Charlie home tonight - Daicos?  Cripps?  Bontempelli?  Not poor Isacc Heeney I'm afraid 😭.  And an even more intriguing conundrum, will the WAGS wear underwear?

Now that is something I could watch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Isaac grew up around 5kms away, which is a somewhat rare connection with the AFL.

Just lots of double-sided tape for the WAGS.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

Isaac grew up around 5kms away, which is a somewhat rare connection with the AFL.

Just lots of double-sided tape for the WAGS.

Yes it would be rare for your neck of the woods to have a star AFL player. Much like it is unusual for NRL clubs to have a Victorian born player (have there been any?).

Yep, the double sided tape will be out in force tonight. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Crikey, Cripps took it.

We were in Northampton just shortly after he won it last time and the Town was bursting with pride.  They've a strong history of football star achievements making one wonder if there is much else to do there or whether something is in the water.

Northampton has produced an all-star cast of AFL players, including Cripps and cousins Jamie, Tarkyn and Andrew Lockyer, Daniel Chick, Paul Haselby, Liam Anthony, Harry Taylor, Josh Kennedy, and the latest duo, Brynn and Julie Teakle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bubbeh said:

We were in Northampton just shortly after he won it last time and the Town was bursting with pride.  They've a strong history of football star achievements making one wonder if there is much else to do there or whether something is in the water.

Northampton has produced an all-star cast of AFL players, including Cripps and cousins Jamie, Tarkyn and Andrew Lockyer, Daniel Chick, Paul Haselby, Liam Anthony, Harry Taylor, Josh Kennedy, and the latest duo, Brynn and Julie Teakle.

It might be that they have a good footy system with great coaches.🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

It might be that they have a good footy system with great coaches.🤔

Might be but my bet's on the nothing much else to do in town and footy is a social as well as sporting activity.  As total non sequitur the local bakery The Shearing Shed has the best vanilla slices in the entire universe (not that I've personally tasted any from another planet or galaxy).  The Shearing Shed Cafe - Northampton Visitor Centre

• Like 1

On 9/22/2024 at 3:46 PM, arxcards said:

It is really twisted history as to how they got to be called the Swans. 

Yep sure is, anybody remember Geoffrey Edelsten?

I also recall that Fitzroy was supposed to be amalgamating with North Melbourne when almost at the last moment they did a shonky deal and announced they were joining the Brisbane Bears. I can remember watching the Footy Show and Eddie Whatshisname broke the news.  There was an NM player on the panel (might have been Brent Harvey) and he looked totally shocked.  

Ah the joys of getting old and remembering stuff that happened decades ago even if you can hardly remember the way home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Might be but my bet's on the nothing much else to do in town and footy is a social as well as sporting activity.  As total non sequitur the local bakery The Shearing Shed has the best vanilla slices in the entire universe (not that I've personally tasted any from another planet or galaxy).  The Shearing Shed Cafe - Northampton Visitor Centre

Oooh. A snot block pilgrimage - or is that just a Victorian term?

Just now, Bubbeh said:

I also recall that Fitzroy was supposed to be amalgamating with North Melbourne when almost at the last moment they did a shonky deal and announced they were joining the Brisbane Bears. I can remember watching the Footy Show and Eddie Whatshisname broke the news.  There was an NM player on the panel (might have been Brent Harvey) and he looked totally shocked.  

Ah the joys of getting old and remembering stuff that happened decades ago even if you can hardly remember the way home.

I had forgotten about the good doc, and his ex-wife Leanne - until yesterday.

Karl Stefawatsisname had a Freudian slip when referring to Jeffrey Epstein, and I am 99% sure he called him Geoffrey Edelsten.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Eddie Everywhere? Brent Harvey would have been very young,1996 was his first year in the AFL.

The deal didn't go through because the other club presidents refused to endorse the proposed merger between North Melbourne and Fitzroy. Fitzroy had been placed under administration and the administrators and the AFL Commissioners recommended a merger between Fitzroy and Brisbane. The Brisbane Lions were born and the rest is history, they won their first premiership five years later in 2001 against my Bombers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Eddie Everywhere? Brent Harvey would have been very young,1996 was his first year in the AFL.

The deal didn't go through because the other club presidents refused to endorse the proposed merger between North Melbourne and Fitzroy. Fitzroy had been placed under administration and the administrators and the AFL Commissioners recommended a merger between Fitzroy and Brisbane. The Brisbane Lions were born and the rest is history, they won their first premiership five years later in 2001 against my Bombers.

My heart breaks for your Bombers. Thanks for the history clarification. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bubbeh said:

My heart breaks for your Bombers. Thanks for the history clarification. 

I hear the merger history all the time from son in law and his family. Son in law's father's family lived in Fitzroy and they had been Lions supporters for decades. The club supporters feel the other clubs sold them out.

• Like 2