Sensation 3/27 Change

CruiseHealing

That is correct - I was told that is an option today, but not sure if they will offer it on 3/27.

Upon checking in, each pax (passenger) will get a paper describing what is happening. At that point you may be given the option, would you walk away, or get on the ship since your are there? The answer is obvious. That is why they have not publicized the fact that a change on 3/27 cruise has occured. During my reviews, I will include the pax reactions. In business, it is better to inform than delay and cover up. Let people think about it first. In all probability they will continue with their plans and hope for the best. Only a few will ask for a refund at the terminal desk. We are going. We will have fun and submit a honest report regarding the refurb. and views of the ship. The change is a disappointment, but it gives me another excuse to book another cruise.

My In-laws are on the 3/27 cruise. I just called my MIL to give her the news and she immediately called Carnival. They confirmed that the ship is going to Freeport instead of Grand Turk and told her she'd have the option of canceling and getting a full refund. They already have the Radisson booked and would lose at least a portion of the room cost, they're also packed and are mentally on the vacation.

I told her to give me an update when they get back and let me know how things go. She said she would have gone on the Fantasy if she had known this was going to happen since the cost is so much lower (also it's only 4 days instead of 5). They'll make the best of it though, she said they love Half Moon Cay.

Thanks, CruiseHealing, for giving us the heads up about the itinerary change!

Ms B

Thanks again CruiseHealing and everyone else for the info about Grand Turk. We also booked this cruise (04-24) for the ports so am hoping that we will get to visit both HMC and GT. If not, oh well, we'll still be cruising and I'll just have to book another cruise! The Elation will be taking this intinerary over in Sept or Oct. I think, would love to cruise on her and have been toying with the idea of another 5 day.

Cruisehealing:

Thanks so much for the notice about the changes in our cruise tomorrow!

While I am looking forward to spending a few extra hours in Half Moon Cay, the main reason I booked this cruise (other than the fact that this week is our Spring Break) was to go to Grand Turk ~ a place that I have never been.

Actually, we could just cancel and take the refund since we live about 10 miles from the Port.

I am, however, in vacation mode!

My major concern is dealing with all the upset and angry passengers who will be in the terminal with us when they are given this information! According to your fax everything has changed except Half Moon Cay. Pax could have booked excursions in Nassau (for Tues) with other companies or even very expensive hotel rooms (Atlantis) that they will be scrambling to cancel! I don't even want to think about the behaviors (hissy fits) that we will be witnessing.

It would be nice if Carnival were to offer a partial refund to those of us who choose to go ahead and go on the cruise. Our cruise has pretty much turned into a LONG, over priced (in my opinion) Bahamas cruise.

On the other hand, ports are cancelled all the time because of weather and mechanical problems............SO........at least some of us will be able to wrap our brains around this information now, rather than the morning of the port call!

Thanks again for the warning!!

Terri

I wonder if the propulsion problems are more due to sitting idle for six months?:confused:

Gee I hope they get that all worked out. Nice to know we could get a refund but everything has gone up in price now.....

Beachside395. I can not agree with your comments more. Our cruise has been truly devalued. Couple that with the fact that they changed the day at sea and Nassau; will make tommorow a very unhappy day for our fellow cruisers. That is why I want to get to the port early, and avoid the anger that will consume the terminal. You are right these things happen. I have no idea if Carnival will provide any compensation, but I do believe it is warranted due to the cruise having less value. As a fellow Floridian I also thought about taking the refund, but like yourself I am in vacation mode and I want to cruise. I can always rebook to Grand Turk. With the new cruise center open on the island, I will have a lot of opportunities with Carnival and other lines. Lets just hope that cooler heads will prevail and we have a great cruise. According to the weather channel we should see clear skies throughtout the cruise with temps. around 76 to 82 degrees. I can not think of better weather for:

CruiseHealing

CruiseHealing,

Sounds like you have the right attitude about it all. I'm sorry you're missing out on Grand Turk. I know that's one of the reasons why I booked my April 15th cruise on the Sensation...to go to Grand Turk. Maybe someone's trying to tell you to totally veg out and relax on this cruise. You never know.

Anyway, have a wonderful time.

Cindy

How do they repair these kinds of problems? Do they take a ship out of service for a whole cruise, or what? Can they repair something like a propulsion system on they fly? Most of the cruises are pretty much back to back, so when do they fix stuff? I hope some of you expert cruisers can answer these questions!!

We're scheduled for the 4/1 cruise, and I too, really want to go to Grand Turk. It's spring break for us, so we don't have too many options to re-schedule. This is to be our first cruise, so I want it to go well--I'm the one who insisted it would be a great vacation! I'm sure we'll still have a great time, but I've been to Nassau & Freeport, so Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay were really the big draws for me.

Thanks for any info. I've appreciated knowing this stuff ahead of getting to the port!

We booked through a carnival travel agent, so I emailed them to ask them about the Grand Turk problem. I just told them that I had booked an excursion on GT and would like to cancel and reschedule another excursion through their company if they know for certain Sensation won't be going there. We'll see what they say! :)

That is the same with a new ship. After the first year they begin to show wear and tear. The industry likes to call them new ships, but after a year are they really?

I am not trying to be insensitive, but I just find the above comments harlirious. Ya know you're a talking about 400-500 million dollar ships. You don't lease these things like you would a Toyota Corrolla for 2 years and get another one.:rolleyes:

I never understood why they choose Freeport as a destination at all. Key West would have been a FUN change. We were not really planning on doing anything in Nassau, now we have 2 days of 'no port plans'. Oh well, just means more lounging by the pool right:D ! BTW I did not get any notice about the change. Guess it takes them a while to tell everyone.

The reason that they chose Freeport is really easy to understand, at least from Carnival's prespective. In a single word it is distance.

It is a long way to Grand Turk and if there are propulsion problems there is simply not enough time to get there.

As far as compensation, why? Your cruise contract says you will leave port on a certain day and return on a certain day, anything else is only tentative. Normally carnival does provide a small amount of compensation for such changes but they have no obligation to do so.

My major concern is dealing with all the upset and angry passengers who will be in the terminal with us when they are given this information!

There more truth in this than one would believe!

I've come to learn that if my itinerary was changed, or anything was altered, AND refunds were offered, I'd take the refund, regardless of what mode I was in.

Sailing with an angry mob that cannot disperse would definately ruin my vacation! It's reinforced post after post here.

Here's another wrench in the works. The Sensation left Port Canaveral 7 hours late on 3/23/06 due to failing a U S Coast Guard fire inspection. One of the fire doors didn't work and had to be in working order before they were cleared to leave the port. After having the opportunity of watching the Coast Guard in action at Port Canaveral, this is not the first time that Carnival ships left late due to a Coast Guard requirement.

I truly hope Carnival does something to keep everyone happy on this cruise. It seems that lots of the people sailing the Sensation are repeat cruisers that have chosen it for the new itinerary, so maybe they will be realistic and will understand when they are told about the change. I know that I would be disappointed, but after a few cruises you learn that things happen, and the cruiselines sure seem to try to the make the best of it.

Hopefully, they have chosen Freeport because they can get the work done there. I don't know if it's reasonable to hope they can fix it that quickly, but that would be the best scenario I can think of. We actually found Freeport to be fascinating, but maybe that's because my husband and sons really enjoyed the fact that it was a real working port with lots of stuff to watch. Simple pleasures work for us.

Cruisehealing & Beachside, you have very healthy attitudes, and I wish you smooth sailing and blue skies. I'd be happy to cruise with you anytime. :)

Ditto what Chris just wrote. Hopefully we'll get to go to Grand Turk but if we dont, we don't. Have only been to Freeport once and wouldn't mind another trip. I hope everyone on the 3-27 sailing has a good cruise, even with the change. Bring back reviews and pictures!

Archived