Stroller on Excursions?

Mommy0804

I wasn't sure where to post this question, since the Family Cruising board is not as busy as the Carnival board, but I'll give it a try here. We are cruising with our 19 month old DD in about a week in the Western Caribbean. We are planning to spend a day at Sunset Beach in Jamaica. She isn't a huge walker, and we were planning to take a stroller (fairly small) with us to transport her and a few beach toys, diaper bag, etc. Would taking her stroller be a PITA? Should we leave it on the ship? I checked the website for Sunset Beach and it looks like there is a bit of pavement around the pool areas. I also think that she may nap in her stroller since we plan on spending most of the day there. Does anyone have any experience with this? What about Paradise Beach in Cozumel? Thanks in advance for any input and advice...

Just make sure its small and can be folded well. It can't be too big for any tenders, and for any land transportation (shuttles, taxi's etc) as there is no storage / luggage space on most of the vehicles, otherwise YES, take a small stroller. We did with DD in 2001 - she was 21 months, and it made strolling the streets (eastern carr. cruise) and looking in the shops much easier with her "on wheels". Some areas are definitely not stroller friendly (ramps, bumpy etc), but you'll likely make due better than if you have to carry her. Plus you can hang a bag on it!!

Enjoy!!

I agree that you should definitely bring the stroller. Even getting to the taxi stand from the gangway can be quite a haul. Even if your child wants to walk, it's nice not to have to carry all of the "stuff".

Also, as an added bonus, on embarkation, those with wheelchairs and strollers tend to get to skip some of the waiting in lines (using the elevator instead of the escalator, etc.)

Bring a small umbrella stroller and store it under the bed in your cabin when you aren't using it. That's what we did when we last cruised with my DD (6m) at the time. I'll be bringing the same stroller (good quality Combi) when we cruise again and she is 14m. If your child is not used to the heat, a stroller can come in pretty handy when they "poop out" in port :) .

I hadn't even thought about getting from the ship to the taxi, etc. She is getting heavy and there is no way that she would walk that far! I guess it might be a little inconvenient having a stroller on the tender and taxi, but a huge benefit so that we don't have to carry the child everywhere...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We took my son on this first cruise when he was 16 mos, his second when he was 2 1/2 and we will go again this summer...and he is now 3 1/2. and i would def not forgo the stroller even now that he is older. there is just so much walking on these excursions and kids tire and get cranky easily....you will be thankful to have the stroller for them to sleep in, plus it provides some sun protection. i went on mostly beach excursions on both cruises and i never had a problem w/the stroller fitting, whether it was a bus, taxi, open air bus or tender. so as long as it is an umbrella type of stroller, you will have no problem.

good luck

gina

I cruised with a double-stroller (front/back) with no problem, except for tenders. Sooo many of the ports are equipped for wheelchairs, so there is usually a way to bring the stroller. I loved having mine so much - even if one of my girls wanted to walk, it's great to have a place to hang our bag. Also - the sun shades help, along with having a place to nap.

Best,

Mia

We are going on the Valor this August. My youngest will just have turned 2. We are definitely bringing a stroller. It comes in handy for throwing stuff we bought, and such in the bottom basket. Although it does become the catch all for everything:cool:

I still would not go without it. We always take a stroller with us, so much easier going through the airport with the youngest in the stroller, you can move much quicker that way. We wheel it right up to the gate, fold it. We see it again once we get off the plane, it is always right there waiting for us. You cant get any better then that ;)

Archived