Luggage Advice for the Avid HAL Mariner

RevNeal

I'm looking to purchase a new rolling garment bag and a new rolling upright. does anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at lots of different options and manufacturers, but have found that my needs seem to be best met by pieces from either the Travelpro Crew 5 Collection or the American Tourister 600 Series Tribute II set. The Travelpro pieces have a slightly larger storage capacity, but they're each a few pounds heavier and about twice as expensive as the American Tourister pieces. In the past I've had several nice American Tourister pieces, and they've worked well for me, but after half a dozen years and more than a dozen cruises they're really starting to get ratty.

What do my CCer HAL pals carry? Do they have any suggestions?

Have had good luck so far with the AT 600 series. Quit buying more costly luggage several years ago. Why spend $500 on a suitcase that the air/cruiselines seem to be determined to destroy? You'll be replacing it in 5 years either way.

REV,

We had a set of luggage by SKYWAY that seem to last forever and extremely durable as well as lightweight and seem to hold up very well to the luggage destroyers hired by the airlines, but nothing last forever so we just bought a set of american tourister that does`nt seem to have the quality of SKYWAY but will serve it`s purpose. hope this helps.

GEORGE

Google - "International Traveller Ultra-Lightweight" - sorry I don't have the actual URL .

If that fails try "Luggage Online". Checked it out and found a Canadian store that carries it (or at least will order it - it's a US outfit and they don't ship to Canada) My store did have some in stock and it's definitely less weighty than anything else around.

Google - "International Traveller Ultra-Lightweight" - sorry I don't have the actual URL .

If that fails try "Luggage Online". Checked it out and found a Canadian store that carries it (or at least will order it - it's a US outfit and they don't ship to Canada) My store did have some in stock and it's definitely less weighty than anything else around.

I've already done a great deal of on-line research, including the Luggage Online website. That's where I'm most likely going to buy it from ... free shipping and no tax PLUS a 50% discount. Can't beat THAT.

What I'm interested in is HUMAN and NON-COMMERCIAL opinions. Thoughts from people who've actually bought and are using the stuff ... either what I'm looking at or something as an alternative.

We had a set of luggage by SKYWAY that seem to last forever and extremely durable as well as lightweight and seem to hold up very well to the luggage destroyers hired by the airlines, but nothing last forever so we just bought a set of american tourister that does`nt seem to have the quality of SKYWAY but will serve it`s purpose. hope this helps.

Thanks, George. I've actually had a Skyway bag set before -- three rolling uprights that nested. The smallest I still sometimes use as a carry-on ... it's in good shape and is perfect for 2 or 3 day trips. The largest has been worn to pieces by Christopher over the past several years of cruises. In November the zipper broke and we couldn't get it closed ... had to use the duct tape to close it and get it home. The medium-sized bag is still in good shape, but it's too small to be fully useful on anything longer than a 7-day cruise. Not by me, at any rate. :)

You didn't find the American Tourister set to be any better? That's discouraging, because I thought the Skyway set to be fairly cheap. I know I didn't pay a great deal for it.

well the skyway lasted for years and never an issue, we`ve used the tourister on 2 cruises now and already lost a wheel,and a fairly deep gouge. so maybe i got lucky with the skyway.

Thanks for the input. That's good to know, though not encouraging. Still can't make up my mind which to buy.

After expensive and now cheaper,,,cheaper and lighter seems to be the key. They all wear out quickly. I hear from the Sears people,,,If you buy their product and lose a wheel or zipper it is replaced at no cost to us. I have also found the "spinner wheels" for carryons a major plus down airplane isles. Good Luck !!!! Enjoy all of you're post.

$2,000 would get you into a nice set of Louis Vuitton.;)

And just imagine all the accessorizing, Greg!

I'd venture to guess such a stylish preacher would be very sought after by HAL for many "working cruises" per year ............. hhhmmmm perhaps you could even request which cruises you'd ordain ........ :D

Happy Belated Birthday BTW!

Dave

I have a regular size rolling suitcase that works well except when you want to expand the extra zippered section....then it becomes front-heavy and will not stand up by itself....suggest you try this out if you're looking at luggage with that expandable section...stuff it full and see if it stays standing...

Greg, I am posting a picture of some that are quite durable and very light weight and amazing inexpensive. The money you will save could get you an extra cruise for next year. :rolleyes: Gee possibley that one over your birthday on the Oosterdam:D

Available Sizes

View All Trash Bagsprodshot_forceflex.jpg

FOFLMHO ... But, oh, what nightmare for carrying it all around!!!! :D

And, again ... the real problem with the Oosterdam cruise in March of 2007 is not money, it's the date. I can't be gone at that time during Lent, and not in close proximity to my Asia cruise in April. Wish I COULD. :)

And just imagine all the accessorizing, Greg!

I'd venture to guess such a stylish preacher would be very sought after by HAL for many "working cruises" per year ............. hhhmmmm perhaps you could even request which cruises you'd ordain ........ :D

Happy Belated Birthday BTW!

Dave

Dave!!!! I haven't seen hide nor hair of you in a month of Sundays! How are ya?

Dave!!!! I haven't seen hide nor hair of you in a month of Sundays! How are ya?

LOL --- I'm doing really well, thanks for asking!! I do tend to take long sabbaticals from posting on these boards I know.

Currently booked on a short 5 day Pacific Coastal in May on the Veendam -- SAN to YVR -- and thought it was time to check the HAL boards again!

Down walking by Canada Place today in the sunshine, but alas, it's still too early for any cruise ships in port here :) ....... soon, soon......

Take care, Dave

About ten years ago I purchased luggage from Lands End, and even after much use it still looks very good and have had no problems....when I need to replace it will probably go with the same or order from LL Bean, whose luggage I think is also top notch.

My requirements: durability, looks nice and reasonable price....what more could I want!

Hope you find just what you're looking for.

We have Travelpro and it has held up very well over the years. It is hard to find rolling Garment Bags. Also have a Dakota Bag. It is very nice, made by Tumi. I can see that the Travelpro is stronger and holds more. I think you will be very happy with the Travelpro. Good luck.

FOFLMHO ... But, oh, what nightmare for carrying it all around!!!! :D

And, again ... the real problem with the Oosterdam cruise in March of 2007 is not money, it's the date. I can't be gone at that time during Lent, and not in close proximity to my Asia cruise in April. Wish I COULD. :)

I know Greg, I just could not resist giving you a bad time. I knew you would understand my humor:D

We use two TravelPro Crew 5 50" Rolling Garment Bags - and they are a class act. We did an exhaustive (anything worth doing is worth overdoing) hands-on search and came down to TravelPro and AT - and while we thought both were about the same toughness, we really liked the layout of the TravelPro much better. I especially like the additional outer compartment that zips on and off (for longer or shorter trips). Ours were about $230 from Filene's on sale (New England dept store - they seem to have them on sale all the time - have you checked a local store?).

We also travel with two rolling duffel bags from Beans, which have been great.

I must tell you how much we enjoyed your Noordam photo galleries. We're booked on the 4/15 Transatlantic, and your photos were like being there! Thanks!

We have used Briggs and Riley luggage for the past 10-12 years. It is very servicable luggage and we have taken probably 15 or more cruises with it.. Getting a little bit frayed at the corners but not a problem. We stuff those bags with nearly our entire wardrobe and they have never broken in any way shape or form! You can check it out in most luggage stores or on line.

We use two TravelPro Crew 5 50" Rolling Garment Bags - and they are a class act. We did an exhaustive (anything worth doing is worth overdoing) hands-on search and came down to TravelPro and AT - and while we thought both were about the same toughness, we really liked the layout of the TravelPro much better. I especially like the additional outer compartment that zips on and off (for longer or shorter trips). Ours were about $230 from Filene's on sale (New England dept store - they seem to have them on sale all the time - have you checked a local store?).

It sounds like I have duplicated your research in narrowing my search to AT and TravelPro. Specifically from the TravelPro Crew 5 collection I am interested in the 50 inch Horizontal Rolling Garment Bag and the 26 inch Expandable Rollaboard Suiter, with a "carry on" in the form of the 18 inch Expandable Rollaboard. The best price for the rolling garment bag I have found is $299, no tax or shipping charges. I looked at one at a couple of local luggage stores and the prices were rather higher ($449.95)

I must tell you how much we enjoyed your Noordam photo galleries. We're booked on the 4/15 Transatlantic, and your photos were like being there! Thanks!

Thank you so much. I greatly appreciate your kind words. I must say that truly did enjoy taking the photos more than you did viewing them. :D I trust you will have a wonderful crossing next month! I wish I were going. :D

Archived