Do You Think a 32 Day Cruise to the South Pacific is too Long? Are You Sure?

On 5/24/2024 at 7:04 PM, suzyed said:

We did it when it was 28 days (turned into 29)  I didn't think it was too long though.

I think we were on the same cruise. A crew member of ill and we had to divert to another island to airlift him back to Tahiti. Then we all got on the phones to reschedule air flights home.As I recall we also had noro on that trip as well!

Jack

On 5/25/2024 at 11:32 AM, Robkat said:

Thanks @SailorJack for this entertaining and very interesting review of your cruise.  We've never considered this particular itinerary but your review has us looking at it very seriously.

In 2025, we see that this same itinerary on the Sapphire is offered in both in April and in October.  Do you think the time of year is important for  this cruise, especially weather-wise?  Any other benefits to either of these month options over the other?

Thanks again for a really fun follow-along to your adventures!

We have done this trip twice - both in April and the weather was spectacular both times.  Never done it in  October, but Chamina has.  Maybe she can give you some insight about that time of year.  I would suspect that it would be equally as great or Princess would not schedule the trip for that part of the year..  

Chamina?

Jack

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SailorJack said:

We have done this trip twice - both in April and the weather was spectacular both times.  Never done it in  October, but Chamina has.  Maybe she can give you some insight about that time of year.  I would suspect that it would be equally as great or Princess would not schedule the trip for that part of the year..  

Chamina?

Jack

The weather hasn't (at least for us) been as reliable.

The first 2 or 3 days and last 2 or 3 days have been pretty cool.

This last year we had a lot of rain. It was still a FABULOUS cruise that we want to do again.

The fall works out better for us than the spring but we're looking at doing spring 2025 because of the weather.

Just before Covid Princess did the cruise in February (2020) and that was perfect!!!

Wish they'd repeat that!!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2024 at 11:46 AM, SailorJack said:

I think we were on the same cruise. A crew member of ill and we had to divert to another island to airlift him back to Tahiti. Then we all got on the phones to reschedule air flights home.As I recall we also had noro on that trip as well!

Jack

Yup!  Sure was!!  DH had nor...we believe he got it at the market in Tahiti. 
What a mess it was to reschedule flights since we originally used miles but had to buy lots more miles to book the new flights.

22 hours ago, SailorJack said:

Chamina?

Jack

Thanks for your insight.  Appreciate it.

22 hours ago, chamima said:

The weather hasn't (at least for us) been as reliable.

The first 2 or 3 days and last 2 or 3 days have been pretty cool.

This last year we had a lot of rain. It was still a FABULOUS cruise that we want to do again.

The fall works out better for us than the spring but we're looking at doing spring 2025 because of the weather.

Just before Covid Princess did the cruise in February (2020) and that was perfect!!!

Wish they'd repeat that!!!!!

Thanks for your reply.  Good to get input from those of you with experience.  

On 5/22/2024 at 3:03 PM, Torfamm said:

It’s definitely on the list. I’ve done a shorter cruise out of Tahiti but I’d love a longer itinerary! I excel at relaxing on sea days 😂

Then you will LOVE this itinerary.😀

Jack

• Like 1

20 hours ago, seastheday said:

So much fun! You have me convinced (of what I cannot say). 😂

Well, perhaps you can say it to me in person - I will be on the Majestic with you in January.

However, I have to admit I am a little bummed out after reading the "Majestic Princess...Pros and Cons" thread! Maybe I need to rebook on a ship that doesn't reek of chlorine! 😂

Jack

2 hours ago, SailorJack said:

Well, perhaps you can say it to me in person - I will be on the Majestic with you in January.

However, I have to admit I am a little bummed out after reading the "Majestic Princess...Pros and Cons" thread! Maybe I need to rebook on a ship that doesn't reek of chlorine! 😂

Jack

😂 I’m glad you saw that thread too, and that you clearly took it with the much needed grain of salt. I’ll admit it also bummed me out momentarily and I scampered off to see if there was something else available I might like better…but no, I reminded myself that a new ship will be fun, chlorine reek or no. I also think our fellow cruisers will be different from the normal Caribbean drunks, er, folks. I like the idea of leaving Fort Lauderdale behind and not seeing it again for 2 weeks. (Oh I really hope I don’t eat those words. Last time we attempted the Circle Caribbean was on the noro-infested Caribbean Princess which was denied port access on two islands before having to scuttle the entire thing and return to Everglades after just 11 days). 🫣

On that positive note I will say I look forward to meeting you and your better half on board. I’m sure it will be a great time but even a crap cruise can be fun and lead to wonderful memories and ridiculous stories, which are the best after all.

• Like 1

Sailor Jack I was delighted and entertained by your review. Thank you so much for your humorous insight. 

We just did on our last cruise session 29 days doing a back-to-back cruise. I was ready to come home only because we had done the last leg of the Panama Canal several times. 

I think going to new places would take the edge off the many days. We love doing the Hawaii round trip from LA which we are planning on in December this year. 

DH and I want to do this and also the 54-day round trip from LA to Australia. 

Again, thanks! 

Love your reviews but had not come across one recently.   As we will be on the Majestic in February for the 14 day circle sailing (2nd Princess cruise) am looking at the Princess site.  We have done Transatlantics in directions.  On one sailing our 8 days of sea days turned into 10 when had to make a medical evacuation in San Juan after leaving Florida.  Caused us to miss our first stop and add 2 more sea days until reaching Europe.  Was okay with us but disappointed we missed the only new port for us. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 1:45 PM, ecs66 said:

The story I heard a long time ago was that the cartographers mapping the area had a type-writing machine with the "n" key not working, so they just left out the "n".  And that's reason for the different spelling and pronunciation.  There probably are a few more stories out there.  Who knows what's true?

I had not heard that story before.  I will keep it mind!

On 5/30/2024 at 7:03 AM, alwalaska said:

Thanks for the great read. I don't think I could ever convince DH to do a 30+ day cruise, but if I do, it won't have nearly that sea days in a row.  I know that would likely be the end of my cruising vacations. 🙂

That's the message I got from Jill - no more 30 day cruises!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 10:04 AM, KKB said:

Enjoyed your entertaining review!

Just now looking at 54 days RT from LA to S Pacific, Australia & NZ in 2026.

Just got DH to try 28 days TA & UK in April...can I get him to do 54?

Especially since he will miss the 1st week of golf leagues??!!

Only time will tell!!!!

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

I looked up that cruise in 2026? It looks like a great trip! We have another 32 day trip coming up and I'll see how that one goes before looking at anything longer.

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

2 minutes ago, SailorJack said:

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

I looked up that cruise in 2026? It looks like a great trip! We have another 32 day trip coming up and I'll see how that one goes before looking at anything longer.

Jack

It looks amazing...my friend who sailed with us is interested but our husbands think it's too long (they struggled with "it's a marathon not a sprint" aspect of drinking over 28 days...lol).

Could be just the girls!

20 hours ago, chamima said:

Too long or too short?

As  I mentioned above - it depends on this upcoming trip.  This cruise was 32 days and mostly sea days. I think there were only six or seven ports and the rest were sea days.  I think Jill got a little bored.  Our upcoming 32 day trip has 22 ports and 10 sea days.  And it starts off with 12 consecutive port days in a row! I dare here to get bored!😀

Jack

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 10:45 PM, ecs66 said:

The story I heard a long time ago was that the cartographers mapping the area had a type-writing machine with the "n" key not working

The first europeans arrived in Samoa in 1722. The first american expedition arrived in Samoa in 1839. Serial production of typewriters started not earlier than 1876.

So it's pretty unlikely that the story with the missing "n" is true. 😁

The Samoan sound for "g" is just pronounced "ng", with the emphasison of the "n".

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 6:15 AM, gfkcruiser said:

Love your reviews but had not come across one recently.   As we will be on the Majestic in February for the 14 day circle sailing (2nd Princess cruise) am looking at the Princess site.  We have done Transatlantics in directions.  On one sailing our 8 days of sea days turned into 10 when had to make a medical evacuation in San Juan after leaving Florida.  Caused us to miss our first stop and add 2 more sea days until reaching Europe.  Was okay with us but disappointed we missed the only new port for us. 

Glad you enjoyed it.

As I mentioned above, we will also be on the Majestic just before you  -in January.  Not been on that ship before but it is sure getting some negative publicity on this board. But still looking forward to it.

Jack