Stateroom Stewards

PrincessYoga

I guess I am not understanding what you mean. All staterooms have stewards. Do you perhaps mean "butlers"? I do not think HAL has butlers.

I meant stewards...I didn't know if anyone got one or if it was just certain cabins. What do the stewards do? I am a "virgin" cruiser. I love this board. What a quick response.

Every stateroom has a steward. They clean your room twice a day, bring fresh towels, deliver messages (invitations), fill the ice bucket, turn your bed down each evening with a chocolate, etc... They are some of the hardest working crew members on the ship, but always greet you with a smile and are "at your service."

IWhat category staterooms are allocated a steward? What is their role?

Thank you...Knowing my mother she will want to tip them extra throught the trip....I am assuming that you would do this in US dollars since the prices on the ship are in American dollars.

This subject has been tossed around on several threads...sometimes the stewards have to turn in extra tips in "Dollars" to the general pool. It was suggested to give them international phone cards, which they can keep for themselves. We sail on O'dam on 4/15 and have purchased several phone cards to give, if service warrants it.

Actually, this subject came up in a conversation on the Oosterdam with the current Hotel Manager, Mr. Deering.

The stewards decide amongst themselves if they want to "keep the money" or contribute to a general "pool" to be evenly distributed with the other stewards. According to Mr. Deering, most decide to "pool" the extra money. (Pretty democratic, eh?)

This subject has been tossed around on several threads...sometimes the stewards have to turn in extra tips in "Dollars" to the general pool.

I had read on another thread that if you keep the 15% tipping in place, you can then also over-tip staff that went the extra mile for you....and they don't have to turn that into the pool...is that the case? sounds like it would get very confusing...how would the steward know who had rescinded the 15% and who hadn't?

We have been on 3 cruises since they added the automatic tipping proceedure; we tip extra for our very special room stewards/dining room/wine stewards. I always include a bit of a note calling the person BY NAME -thanking them. Then add to the bottom of the envelope "This is in addition to the automatic tip" so they will know. I'm not sure that is "Correct" but it has worked for us.

I think the steward's get a list of those who rescind the automatic tip, at least those who do so before the end of the cruise. I heard a fellow passenger complaining that her steward had left his list in her cabin and she was really obnoxious about it, complaining to the front desk.

Mary

Archived