Jump to content

Toronto airport connectiins


Recommended Posts

Have booked flight with Aeroplan points on Air Canada in Oct.  flight from Alberta to Toronto.  1 hr 15 min for connection to Athens.  Is this enough time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, croozer10 said:

Have booked flight with Aeroplan points on Air Canada in Oct.  flight from Alberta to Toronto.  1 hr 15 min for connection to Athens.  Is this enough time?

 

I always state as a blanket that we do not book any connection under 2.5 hours in any part of the world that we fly.  We are also ok with longer than that and have been known to choose 4+ hour connections when shorter options are available.

 

1.5 hours is more than enough time if your AC flight departs Alberta on time.  If it does not then every minute that it is delayed is a minute of time that you don't have to make that connection.

 

I don't think that we have been on a flight recently that has departed on time and our delays have been fairly significant in some cases.

 

You luggage would be checked right through, and if you are AC to AC, then you should not have to do security again... but living in Toronto I have never done your connection so security may be involved in you going from a domestic arrival to an international connection.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few general comments. If Air Canada allowed the itinerary to be booked with a 1.5 hour connection at YYZ, then technically THEY consider it acceptable. As it is an AC to AC connection, then the AC staff will know that the OP is connecting and will be watching out for connecting pax. Our last AC flight, back in Feb, was heavily delayed and when we arrived, there was a table set up at the exit from the jetway with a team of AC employees handing out the boarding passes to the arriving (and very late) connecting pax and arranging for them to get to their connection. Also, though I can't speak to whether they do it at YYZ, here in YUL airline staff patrol the security lines with clipboards and call out departing flights, marshaling passengers to the head of the line so they can make their connections if they are caught in security lines. At YYZ are there priority security lines for NEXUS and premium credit card holders to help them get through faster?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, croozer10 said:

Have booked flight with Aeroplan points on Air Canada in Oct.  flight from Alberta to Toronto.  1 hr 15 min for connection to Athens.  Is this enough time?


It’s tight, but if your incoming flight is not delayed at all, you should make it…assuming that you are mobile enough to be a fast walker and your luggage is checked all the way through.  My elderly mom wouldn’t be able to, but DH and I could make that.  You will connect in the same terminal, so it’s just walking between gates.

 

However, your luggage may or may not make that connection.  Make sure you use AirTags and have a carryon with essentials in case your luggage is delayed.

 

And if you have to collect luggage, recheck it (ie a different airline is operating the second flight) and go through security again, it’s way too tight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

assuming that you are mobile enough to be a fast walker and your luggage is checked all the way through.

Prior to my retirement, the Toronto connection for a YOW-YYZ-CDG flight was deemed by Air Canada to have sufficient time, but there was a delay leaving Ottawa. As a result, I had to run, yes RUN, from my domestic arrivals gate to my international departures gate. The gate personnel were closing the door to the jetway as I drew near, realized that I was the missing passenger, and held it for me. Today, I'm perfectly mobile, but would never make that flight.

 

39 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

However, your luggage may or may not make that connection.  Make sure you use AirTags and have a carryon with essentials in case your luggage is delayed.

Needless to say, my checked luggage did not make the flight, but caught up to me at my hotel the following day. Just as I arrive a minimum of a day early for cruises, just in case, in those days I'd arrive a day of two early for business meetings. Consequently, I didn't have to attend the first day of the international gathering wearing my travel jeans and golf shirt.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, croozer10 said:

Have booked flight with Aeroplan points on Air Canada in Oct.  flight from Alberta to Toronto.  1 hr 15 min for connection to Athens.  Is this enough time?

It’s Air Canada…..I wish you and your luggage good luck. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, lx200gps said:

A few general comments. If Air Canada allowed the itinerary to be booked with a 1.5 hour connection at YYZ, then technically THEY consider it acceptable. As it is an AC to AC connection, then the AC staff will know that the OP is connecting and will be watching out for connecting pax. Our last AC flight, back in Feb, was heavily delayed and when we arrived, there was a table set up at the exit from the jetway with a team of AC employees handing out the boarding passes to the arriving (and very late) connecting pax and arranging for them to get to their connection. Also, though I can't speak to whether they do it at YYZ, here in YUL airline staff patrol the security lines with clipboards and call out departing flights, marshaling passengers to the head of the line so they can make their connections if they are caught in security lines. At YYZ are there priority security lines for NEXUS and premium credit card holders to help them get through faster?

Definitely Nexus lines at Pearson….not sure about the preferred credit cards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Canada_eh58 said:

Definitely Nexus lines at Pearson…

For this connection, should be no need to go through screening in YYZ so Nexus doesn't enter in to the picture.

 

This itinerary is a little tight but ought to be just fine.  If AC sold it, they're going to do their best to make it happen... passengers and luggage.

 

If some travellers choose to have three or four hours between connections like this, that's entirely up to them.  Why not four or five or six?  We all know there are things that happen that can delay us.  It's kind of like.... I booked a 1200 flight on disembarkation day, is that too early?  Then you get the responses; OK, unless there is fog or OK unless the ship hits a rock or OK unless immigration takes hours to do something that normally takes 15 minutes.  You should change your flight to 2200 or next day just in case.

 

Jeepers... just plan something and go with it.

 

I guess I've demonstrated my opinion on this; no doubt there are alternate views.

Edited by d9704011
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get that if AC has booked this as a connection that they believe in their heart of hearts that you will make it.

 

I personally do NOT accept this short of a connection because AC has failed me in the past more than once where either I made the flight but my luggage did not and then I was on a cruise ship with no luggage, or I missed the flight completely.

 

This essentially means that I plan my way from actual experience and don't come on to CC and ask if this is enough time, but if someone does ask, I give my opinion like everyone else.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Yes, one hour is sufficient to make this connection if it is Air Canada to Ari Canada.  You take an escalator up to a transit hallway, Someone scans your boarding pass and off you are into the international departures concourse. 

 

If your transferring from Air Canada to a different airline more than likely its involves a terminal change. with a short train ride and security.  That will easily eat up the 1 hour.   

 

Make certain it is on one ticket.  That means if you miss the connection it is the airlines responsibility to re-accommodate you on another flight. 

 

The issue is not going to be the transfer time, but as other stated it is going to be the possibility of delays on the oncoming flight. You don't have much buffer for that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2024 at 12:04 PM, lx200gps said:

A few general comments. If Air Canada allowed the itinerary to be booked with a 1.5 hour connection at YYZ, then technically THEY consider it acceptable. As it is an AC to AC connection, then the AC staff will know that the OP is connecting and will be watching out for connecting pax. Our last AC flight, back in Feb, was heavily delayed and when we arrived, there was a table set up at the exit from the jetway with a team of AC employees handing out the boarding passes to the arriving (and very late) connecting pax and arranging for them to get to their connection. Also, though I can't speak to whether they do it at YYZ, here in YUL airline staff patrol the security lines with clipboards and call out departing flights, marshaling passengers to the head of the line so they can make their connections if they are caught in security lines. At YYZ are there priority security lines for NEXUS and premium credit card holders to help them get through faster?

At YYZ there is a NEXUS security line. Yesterday we went through it in less than 10 minutes. They do not have one to my knowledge for premium credit cards. But I may be mistaken. Maybe with AMEX…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, EnjoyingLife2014 said:

At YYZ there is a NEXUS security line. Yesterday we went through it in less than 10 minutes. They do not have one to my knowledge for premium credit cards. But I may be mistaken. Maybe with AMEX…

The OP is taking an Air Canada domestic flight from Alberta and connecting, at YYZ, with an international Air Canada flight (not to USA).

 

Did you do something similar or did your travel originate in YYZ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2024 at 7:19 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Not much difference than flying Porter , Westjet or Air Transat 

I have no problem with WestJet, Porter or Air Transat but Air Canada always screws something up. Worst on time performance amongst North American Airlines which is what would scare me about such a short connection. Unless, of course, the Toronto to Athens flight is delayed also, but it doesn’t seem right that you wish for a flight to be delayed so you can make a connection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, d9704011 said:

The OP is taking an Air Canada domestic flight from Alberta and connecting, at YYZ, with an international Air Canada flight (not to USA).

 

Did you do something similar or did your travel originate in YYZ?

No, our travel originated from YYZ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, EnjoyingLife2014 said:

No, our travel originated from YYZ 

Right.... hence your need to go through security,which doesn't apply to the OP's transit through YYZ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That boarding pass check between the domestic and international gates is for customer service and not security so you can just blow by if you are sure where you are going. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the last few months, my wife and I, and other friends have flown several times.  No problem with non-AC flights.  But with AC flights there were almost always delays, and even cancellation (flight 3 days ago).

 

Last month my wife took Westjet to Vancouver for a conference, no problem.  Her friends booked AC flights in the morning that got cancelled, and got rebooked to a flight later that evening, that got delayed.  By the time the friends got to Vancouver it was past midnight.  Their original flight was supposed to get to Vancouver at noon.

 

Could just be our luck, but AC hasn't been too reliable or punctual in the last year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 10:50 PM, croozer10 said:

Have booked flight with Aeroplan points on Air Canada in Oct.  flight from Alberta to Toronto.  1 hr 15 min for connection to Athens.  Is this enough time?

 email/text notifications help if flights change so keep checking.  I do not like AC I am trying to keep an open mind.😄  I am sure everything will work out just fine.   

Edited by shandryl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2024 at 12:50 AM, croozer10 said:

Have booked flight with Aeroplan points on Air Canada in Oct.  flight from Alberta to Toronto.  1 hr 15 min for connection to Athens.  Is this enough time?

 

That is a tight connection. Keep in mind boarding is typically 30 minutes prior to departure (if not more) that leaves 45 minutes.

 

So depending on time of year, I'm assuming you're probably not going to Athens in the winter so that helps. And airlines, if you have to change terminals then it is a train between terminals and having to clear security again which is a lot to do in 45 minutes.

 

But flight times aren't always scheduled to suit so if this is what works with your schedule then book it but have a plan B just in case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, joeyjeremiah said:

 

That is a tight connection. Keep in mind boarding is typically 30 minutes prior to departure (if not more) that leaves 45 minutes.

 

So depending on time of year, I'm assuming you're probably not going to Athens in the winter so that helps. And airlines, if you have to change terminals then it is a train between terminals and having to clear security again which is a lot to do in 45 minutes.

 

But flight times aren't always scheduled to suit so if this is what works with your schedule then book it but have a plan B just in case.

If the flight is booked on Aeroplan points it will only be on Star Alliance airlines which all operate out of Terminal 1, as far as I know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Special Event: Q&A with Laura Hodges Bethge, President Celebrity Cruises
      • Hurricane Zone 2024
      • Cruise Insurance Q&A w/ Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com Summer 2024
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...