Jump to content

Del Mar Beach Club - Have You Been


Sarcastic Mama
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Sarcastic Mama said:

We will be in Cozumel later this month and were thinking about Del Mar Beach Club. Has anyone been and did you like it? Looking for something low key for 6 adults. 


We have been multiple times from when it first opened but not in recent years.

 

It cannot be beat for convenience to Puerta Maya and International pier as a budget friendly AI that doesn’t require transport. That said, I see the price has increased (like most places) since our last visit. The menu has been scaled back from the original offerings. Be aware the portions are small tasting plates which used to be unlimited but you might want to confirm if that is still the case if important. 
 

Also be aware it is a very small beach club with no sandy beach. This seems to take some by surprise but website is quite clear and plenty of you-tube reviews.  There are rocky steps to enter for snorkeling and a small pool for cooling off. Over 18’s only. 
 

I will try to answer any general questions but not up to date on current policies or how popular/busy it has become. We started going when there were usually only half a dozen guests and it was heavenly! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, c-leg5 said:


We have been multiple times from when it first opened but not in recent years.

 

It cannot be beat for convenience to Puerta Maya and International pier as a budget friendly AI that doesn’t require transport. That said, I see the price has increased (like most places) since our last visit. The menu has been scaled back from the original offerings. Be aware the portions are small tasting plates which used to be unlimited but you might want to confirm if that is still the case if important. 
 

Also be aware it is a very small beach club with no sandy beach. This seems to take some by surprise but website is quite clear and plenty of you-tube reviews.  There are rocky steps to enter for snorkeling and a small pool for cooling off. Over 18’s only. 
 

I will try to answer any general questions but not up to date on current policies or how popular/busy it has become. We started going when there were usually only half a dozen guests and it was heavenly! 

 

Thank you for the info. I will defiantly check about the food.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sarcastic Mama said:

 

Thank you for the info. I will defiantly check about the food.  


I am not sure of the age range of your group but I would  add it is very low key with no activities besides eating, drinking, lounging or socializing in the pool or around the bar. We like to relax and read or listen to music through headphones and look at the ocean and the cruise ships! The pool is 3-4 ft deep.
 

It is totally different on a Sunday but not many cruise ships on a Sunday. 

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were there last week. We were the only ones there so we had great service. There isn't much shade but the pool was nice and had shade. The food was OK. I did go snorkeling and saw some fist but no coral. The music was loud and not to our taste so they turned it down and switched to easy listening. We don't drink alcohol so we don't think we got our monies worth. We did enjoy it but I'm not sure we would have if it had been crowded. We were the only ship in port that day.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Eileen G said:

We were there last week. We were the only ones there so we had great service. There isn't much shade but the pool was nice and had shade. The food was OK. I did go snorkeling and saw some fist but no coral. The music was loud and not to our taste so they turned it down and switched to easy listening. We don't drink alcohol so we don't think we got our monies worth. We did enjoy it but I'm not sure we would have if it had been crowded. We were the only ship in port that day.


I am surprised to hear you were the only ones there! We haven’t been for about two years but it was becoming quite popular with many repeat guests looking for a budget break away from the ship. Glad to hear the service is still great. 
 

As to whether you got your monies worth I have to say I don’t know of any other AI for that price! We rarely do AI beach breaks from the ship because it  is more food and drink than we need while cruising- (it is different when we are on a land vacation in a condo) - but for Del Mar our logic is that a return taxi to most PAYG locations that we like would cost as much as one person’s entrance fee to Del Mar, without the hassle or time spent traveling. We have lots of favorites on cozumel so we do like to ring the changes. I am not sure you would ever get your monies worth at any AI in Mexico drinking water. You could certainly pay less at a PAYG but you would need to factor in transport costs, unless you walked to somewhere like Sunset Beach or Tikila Bar from International. You might enjoy the snorkeling more there since you can also reach the underwater statues or reef balls if you are a strong swimmer.

 

I am surprised if you were the only ones there you couldn’t find shade. Certainly the loungers near the ocean can be very sunny and might require a couple of umbrellas but those near the bar are usually shaded or we go under the palm trees with an additional umbrella -  sometimes you have to move your lounger around - I like to be shaded too. (One word of caution for the OP, sometimes you have to watch for ants round the trees.)

 

Since you have been recently can you confirm that the plates are still unlimited? I know it was brought up in one thread but I think it turned out to be false.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:


I am surprised to hear you were the only ones there! We haven’t been for about two years but it was becoming quite popular with many repeat guests looking for a budget break away from the ship. Glad to hear the service is still great. 
 

As to whether you got your monies worth I have to say I don’t know of any other AI for that price! We rarely do AI beach breaks from the ship because it  is more food and drink than we need while cruising- (it is different when we are on a land vacation in a condo) - but for Del Mar our logic is that a return taxi to most PAYG locations that we like would cost as much as one person’s entrance fee to Del Mar, without the hassle or time spent traveling. We have lots of favorites on cozumel so we do like to ring the changes. I am not sure you would ever get your monies worth at any AI in Mexico drinking water. You could certainly pay less at a PAYG but you would need to factor in transport costs, unless you walked to somewhere like Sunset Beach or Tikila Bar from International. You might enjoy the snorkeling more there since you can also reach the underwater statues or reef balls if you are a strong swimmer.

 

I am surprised if you were the only ones there you couldn’t find shade. Certainly the loungers near the ocean can be very sunny and might require a couple of umbrellas but those near the bar are usually shaded or we go under the palm trees with an additional umbrella -  sometimes you have to move your lounger around - I like to be shaded too. (One word of caution for the OP, sometimes you have to watch for ants round the trees.)

 

Since you have been recently can you confirm that the plates are still unlimited? I know it was brought up in one thread but I think it turned out to be false.

 

I never said we couldn't find shade I said shade was limited and if there were a lot of other people we might not have been able to find shade. The biggest reason we went was because it was within walking distance from the International Pier and we saved the cab fare which offset the price,  We also had soda and virgin pina coladas. No one said anything about limiting the amount of plates we could have although being on a cruise we really didn't eat much. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Special Event: Q&A with Laura Hodges Bethge, President Celebrity Cruises
      • Hurricane Zone 2024
      • Cruise Insurance Q&A w/ Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com Summer 2024
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...