Dry Dock Grand Princess

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 3:48 AM, latebloomer56 said:

Husband just asked when the Grand had a face lift? Anybody know she was the last dry dock? He was reading negative reviews on this ship, won't change what I want but will make him feel better knowing some of the negative issues were addressed.

Thanks

Getting back to the original question, Princess website says last refurbishment was 2019. That said, another poster shared a video from a 2022 drydock so the website might be wrong?.

image.thumb.png.4ba48f48ddb0ca0f69172793b1aab39a.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

Getting back to the original question, Princess website says last refurbishment was 2019. That said, another poster shared a video from a 2022 drydock so the website might be wrong?.

image.thumb.png.4ba48f48ddb0ca0f69172793b1aab39a.png

Found a video of the 2019 drydock.

14 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

Cruise ships older than x amount of years go through a 2 tier rotational drydock. 2019 was the last major drydock and 2022 was the last minor drydock. Her next major drydock is April 17 2025 through May 4 2025 in Portland OR .I am guessing that as far as the term "refurbished" means that would be at the major drydock times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

Getting back to the original question, Princess website says last refurbishment was 2019.

You are making the mistake that most CC posters make, conflating "refurbishment" with "dry dock".

A refurbishment means maintenance/repair/redesign of hotel areas.  Mostly, this work can be done without a dry docking, but is done during a dry docking since the ship is out of service anyway.

A dry docking is statutory in nature, and deals with the ship's hull and machinery.

27 minutes ago, bearhavingfun said:

Cruise ships older than x amount of years go through a 2 tier rotational drydock.

Close, but no cigar.  All ships must be inspected below the waterline "twice in 5 years" as the regulations are written.  Therefore, it is essentially every 2.5 years, but the "mid-period" survey can be any time from 2 to 3 years from the main survey, but the main survey must be every 5 years.  

30 minutes ago, bearhavingfun said:

Her next major drydock is April 17 2025 through May 4 2025 in Portland OR

Yes, this is the "renewal" survey (when all class certificates are renewed), but both dry docks, the "mid-period" and the "renewal" are essentially the same inspection (probably 10-15% more at "renewal")

34 minutes ago, bearhavingfun said:

I am guessing that as far as the term "refurbished" means that would be at the major drydock times.

Refurbishment can be done at either dry docking, depending on what is wanted, and what is financially acceptable.  The timeline at dry docks is mainly driven by the statutory dry dock survey time required, and they fit in "refurbishment" of the hotel to accomplish whatever is able to be done in that set timeline.  Sometimes a major refurbishment, like adding new cabins, will extend a shipyard period, but these are not very common.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't expect any significant changes onboard for the passenger areas.  The carnival brands as a whole are still probably recouping losses during covid to pay off loans and doing the minimum upgrades to keep the product "fresh".  The Island just had the Bayou Cafe replaced with Crown Grill, so I imagine the Coral will have the same at some point in the future, but given the Grand's age and that she has all the medallion screens up for a few years now, I doubt there will be any other venue changes or updates onboard.

10 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I wouldn't expect any significant changes onboard for the passenger areas.  The carnival brands as a whole are still probably recouping losses during covid to pay off loans and doing the minimum upgrades to keep the product "fresh".  The Island just had the Bayou Cafe replaced with Crown Grill, so I imagine the Coral will have the same at some point in the future, but given the Grand's age and that she has all the medallion screens up for a few years now, I doubt there will be any other venue changes or updates onboard.

The Grand is scheduled for new carpeting on her next Derrick per crew members I spoke with last month

• Like 1