Returning to my favorite ship!

JT1101

Posted (edited)

I'll be on QM2 Westbound TA December 14th. Actually I'll be flying in the previous day so I can spend a day at Stonehenge and Salisbury then hang out overnight in Southampton. The big difference this time will be I got talked into allowing a Travel Agency to handle it  - I usually do it myself. Let's see what the difference is.

If you haven't done it, to me the perfect time to do a TA is December because of the ship being decked out for Christmas and I love being out on the Atlantic in winter. 

Edited by JT1101
forgot "to"
  • Like 9

How lovely . I spent my childhood and  most of my working life in Salisbury and as a child used to go to Stonehenge for a car ride on a Sunday.  In those days you could sit and climb all over the stones. 

• Like 2

We have done a westbound December TA a few times. I had a contract to teach in the UK and Ireland a few courses, which ended a week or so before the TA. These December TAs are generally the lowest prices during the year, which allowed us to book PG. 

The Christmas decorations are definitely a strong point.

Only issue I found was the sunset time at the end of the year means you are entering the Solent in the dark. Not a big deal for us on board, but my mother (around 85 years old at the time) complained it was not as exciting to watch us on the Isle of Wight Web cam as it had been for our late Spring departure. 

• Like 3

The only negative aspect of this crossing is that you arrive just a few days before Christmas. Not a negative in itself, because New York at Christmas can be fun, but your onward travel can get complicated.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well I got to see a difference using an agent made today!

I was resigned to flying into Heathrow using American Airlines coach (not a pleasant experience). Well, the agent did some checking, used some of (I guess) her agency powers and parleyed my willingness (indeed preference) for flying redeye as well as my having forgotten my BA Executive Club status and instead I am flying in on British Airways Business Class (Club World). And the fare is only a couple of hundred more than American's Premium Economy. 

I like BA so this was definitely good. American is alright but United is in my NO book. 

Edited by JT1101
  • Like 3

Also, we were both impressed by how easily the Cunard booking was executed - everything just clicked right in and by World Club number allowed my FCC from the shutdowns to be applied. My Cunard is already up and populated and so everything is in place except Travel Insurance - I will have rates and plans to select from tomorrow. 

• Like 1

And the agent got me travel insurance with higher coverages than CunardCare at the same premium. Can't complain. 

This is a good TA I found - she also has been making sure the little details are covered. She got me a good price on a Stonehenge tour that departs from Heathrow and puts me in Southampton when all is said and done.